10-29-2017 10:02 AM
280 12345 ...
tools
    I may upgrade this year... dunno... I know I'll get a new video card at least.

i7 970 6/12 core
    Asus x58 P6D-E
    24GB Gskill 1600 (purchased as a 24GB kit for quality/speed)
    MSI GTX 560Ti OC
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD
    Marvell add in RAID card (the one built on mobo sucks) with 2X 2TB WD Black drives in raid 0
    One 2TB Seagate 7200rpm drive for apps and swap files.
    Two 24" ASUS IPS displays mounted on arms.
    LG BDR
    Lian Li aluminum gaming case.. 100% tool less (even the mobo and PSU can be removed without a screwdriver)
    Lian Li 850W PSU
    MS Natural kb
    Logitech G9X mouse.
    Win 8.1 x64 Pro
    Swimming pools, movie stars
    Last edited by Michael Dontigney; 03-30-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    maj71303 likes this.
    03-29-2014 03:02 PM
    Nice rig.
    How is the big Seagate working for you? Since I'm going to get an extra int. HDD I'm torn between Seagate and WD (looking for an HDD that can handle a lot of heavy use (playing music/videos a few hours a day, like in a NAS). In the past there was a lot of complaints about fast dying Seagate HDDs (tough the performance has always been praised).
    seagate one is good actually i was on tight budget so i had gone for seagate and service centre is also near my locality.
    in WD you should go for the black one they are good for gaming but they will cost you more.
    Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
    03-30-2014 06:46 AM
    seagate one is good actually i was on tight budget so i had gone for seagate and service centre is also near my locality.
    in WD you should go for the black one they are good for gaming but they will cost you more.
    Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com
    I already have a WD Blue 1TB in my PC for games and programs. I'm looking for an HDD for my videos/music that can handle usage compareable to a NAS system. Performance isn't that important to me in this case, I want durability with heavy usage. So, since Seagate HDDs are usually a bit cheaper than WD I wanted to take a look at them.
    03-30-2014 06:57 AM
    I already have a WD Blue 1TB in my PC for games and programs. I'm looking for an HDD for my videos/music that can handle usage compareable to a NAS system. Performance isn't that important to me in this case, I want durability with heavy usage. So, since Seagate HDDs are usually a bit cheaper than WD I wanted to take a look at them.
    then you should go for this one.
    Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com i also have this hdd in my system. it cost me $70

my 250gb hdd is 4 years old still i dont have any issue in it.
    Last edited by Skyrocker007; 03-30-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    QwarkDreams likes this.
    03-30-2014 11:34 AM
    If you're actually wanting a NAS drive, I think that's Western Digital's Red series. If it's going to be a USB external, I'd probably get a blue, since you won't need to all that often. The black for gmaing isn't a big deal, but I will say that I would take WD over Seagate. It's usually just a personal-experience thing, but I've yet to see a WD drive fail (out of probably 10 or so), yet 2 of the 3 Seagate drives I've known people to own failed (one was mostly due to user error). I trust WD more, but like I said, it's usually just what you've experienced.
    03-30-2014 03:40 PM
    Since my response would be too long and I don't want to misuse this thread, I'm going to start a new one for questions about PC parts (like what GPU should I get for that use and this rig?).
    03-30-2014 09:42 PM
    First of all: real nice cable management!

Second: What temperatures do you get in your case? 4 coolers (1x front, 1x back, 2x top) should be sufficient in most cases of this size but since your HDD cage is pretty full and both GPUs close to a surface (backplate of the other GPU and PSU), how is the airflow in your case? Is the front cooler a SP fan?
    gedzum likes this.
    03-31-2014 01:51 PM
    Thanks mate! Those fans are fractal design fans, can't rememeber the exact model. They are decent. Cooling isn't great but the fans are nigh on silent. Temperatures in some intensive games like BF3 make my CPU temps go up to the low-mid 50s. Otherwise most games hover in the mid-high 40s. Those SLI GPU temps were around 70-80. The cyclone fans on the MSI 460s were outstanding both in terms of sound and cooling.

I have recently updated some parts though. I have 2 Samsung F3 1TB drives and 1 Samsung EVO 250GB now. I put the WD drive in the family PC. I removed the rear exhaust since it was making noise and in doing so accidently broke the srew hole of the fan, so no rear fan atm. The 2 top exhausts and the front intake are those fractal fans now. Finally, I have a single GTX780 from EVGA. Haven't checked temps yet, but it is pretty quiet for a dual fan cooler.
    03-31-2014 02:30 PM
    You could exchange your fan in the front for one for static pressure to reduce the heat emitted by the HDDs. That's what I'm going to do, because I want sufficient cooling for the summer.
    04-01-2014 05:54 AM
    Crosshair V Formula
    FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz
    MSI R9 290 Gaming Twin Frozr 4GB @ 1100/1400
    12GB DDR3 G-Skill RipJawsX @ 2133MHz
    2TB Seagate 7200 32MB Cache
    3x1080p LCD @ Eyefinity @ 5760x1080
    CoolerMaster HAF922 Case
    Corsair TX950W PSU
    Corsair Raptor K30 Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor M40 Mouse
    Last edited by Detectionable; 04-02-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    maj71303 likes this.
    04-01-2014 06:05 AM
    CPU- AMD Phenom II 955 BE quad core
    RAM- gskill 8GB
    GPU- GTX 660
    Motherboard- gigabyte 990fx-ud3
    PSU- OCZ 700w modular
    Case- Zalman z11
    SSD- crucial 120gb (os)
    Hard drive- Seagate 1tb
    OS- dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk
    maj71303 likes this.
    04-12-2014 11:05 PM
    Decided to hook up some extra peripherals to the PC. Graphics tabket, NFC writer, and a numberpad. This... is what my desk now looks like...
    wp_20140417.jpg
    Muessig, QwarkDreams and maj71303 like this.
    04-18-2014 10:49 AM
    Rig
    Windows 8.1 64 bit pro
    AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 4.0ghz
    Antec High Current Gamer 850W
    Asus Evo R2.0
    Teamgroup Vulcan Orange 2x4gb
    Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 4gb
    Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD
    WD Caviar Blue 1tb
    Asus VE247H 24" widescreen x2

Temporary flat until me and my wife find a new house/flat hence the desk.....
    2irxlw4.jpg
    QwarkDreams, gedzum and maj71303 like this.
    04-30-2014 07:27 PM
    Rig
    Windows 8.1 64 bit pro
    AMD Piledriver FX-8 8350 4.0ghz
    Antec High Current Gamer 850W
    Asus Evo R2.0
    Teamgroup Vulcan Orange 2x4gb
    Gainward GeForce GTX 770 Phantom 4gb
    Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SSD
    WD Caviar Blue 1tb
    Asus VE247H 24" widescreen x2

[...]
    What case do you have?
    05-01-2014 12:10 AM
    What case do you have?
    Its a xigmatek asgard 2. Its not a bad case, cheap but the cooling isn't too bad in terms if airflow. Saying that it could be a lot better!
    Im going to buy a different case over the next few months though.
    05-01-2014 04:48 AM
    Its a xigmatek asgard 2. Its not a bad case, cheap but the cooling isn't too bad in terms if airflow. Saying that it could be a lot better!
    Im going to buy a different case over the next few months though.
    Cool! What cases do you have in mind?
    05-01-2014 05:04 AM
    Cool! What cases do you have in mind?
    To be honest i have no idea! Lol there are a lot of clean, modern looking cases with good airflow in mind from coolermaster etc. I will need to have a look tonight. Lota of choices ๐Ÿ˜Š
    05-01-2014 01:54 PM
    Hmm. I need to find a good upgrade for my PC.
    05-01-2014 02:00 PM
    Hmm. I need to find a good upgrade for my PC.
    What you currently got?

Its a sickness upgrading computers lol
    05-01-2014 02:01 PM
    @cw1988
    Yeah, the choice is sheer endless, considering the factors (number of HDD/SSD bays, supported MoBo sizes, some don't even ahve 5.25" bays, color, number and position of possible fans and fan sizes, support for closed watercooling units/custom watercooling, airflow and noise level, side panel window, max. GPU lenght, max. CPU cooler height,...).

I'm not assuming that you're new to this, just a little info on the side ;-) PCPartPicker.com gives you a fair amount of filters to zero in on the cases compatible with your parts but some factors aren't included (you have to pick your parts first to see if they are compatible with the cases; e.g. my case (Corsair Graphite 230T) is compatible with compact watercooling but only with certain models).

The most popular ones right now seem to be the Fractal Design Define R4 and Bitfenix Shinobi.

@Daniel
    What exactly do you want to upgrade? Still the CPU and GPU? Or do you want to start a completely new build?
    05-01-2014 02:17 PM
    @cw1988
    Yeah, the choice is sheer endless, considering the factors (number of HDD/SSD bays, supported MoBo sizes, some don't even ahve 5.25" bays, color, number and position of possible fans and fan sizes, support for closed watercooling units/custom watercooling, airflow and noise level, side panel window, max. GPU lenght, max. CPU cooler height,...).

I'm not assuming that you're new to this, just a little info on the side ;-) PCPartPicker.com gives you a fair amount of filters to zero in on the cases compatible with your parts but some factors aren't included (you have to pick your parts first to see if they are compatible with the cases; e.g. my case (Corsair Graphite 230T) is compatible with compact watercooling but only with certain models).

The most popular ones right now seem to be the Fractal Design Define R4 and Bitfenix Shinobi.

@Daniel
    What exactly do you want to upgrade? Still the CPU and GPU? Or do you want to start a completely new build?
    Im based in the UK so I have been ordering off overclockers and dabs. Overclockers has no filtering but dabs does and it doesn't seem too bad.

I would say I am fairly new to it as the last one I built was a very long time ago. One thing I didn't look for in the case I bought was the motherboard plate for efficient cable management which I regret but both those cases you posted 1: look very good, especially the fractal r4, and 2: they both have the motherboard plates for cable management.

Up until two days ago I didn't have an SSD, I just bought a 1tb wd blue and was advised to get an SSD just for the OS and programs and it is such a difference, I mean reading the reviews it is hard to imagine the difference it can make but when I booted up by PC for the first time I was quite shocked.
    05-01-2014 02:39 PM
    Doesn't matter where you'll actually buy it. PCPartPicker just offers a neat compatibility option so you'll know what parts will work together.
    Also it should show you the cheapest stores for each part.

Most newer cases offer cable management, some even more than others (like with rubber grommets on the cut out for the cables and more space between the side panel and mobo backside).
    The best way to choose the right case for you will be picking some cases that fit your needs an watch/read some reviews (don't want to promote it but LinusTechTips has some nice video reviews on YouTube).

SSDs are awesome for OSs but they are better for reading, writing shortens their lifespan (although most SSDs will last a few years).

Edit: You should look into configuring your SSD right, so it will last longer. There's a whole bunch of settings you should dis/enable. Just google it, there are tons of articles that don't go into depth (like messing around with the registry).

Edit 2: Great, now I want to upgrade my PC too -_- You're right, it IS a curse! Especially when you're a perfectionist^^
    Last edited by QwarkDreams; 05-02-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Muessig likes this.
    05-02-2014 07:47 AM
    Doesn't matter where you'll actually buy it. PCPartPicker just offers a neat compatibility option so you'll know what parts will work together.
    Also it should show you the cheapest stores for each part.

Most newer cases offer cable management, some even more than others (like with rubber grommets on the cut out for the cables and more space between the side panel and mobo backside).
    The best way to choose the right case for you will be picking some cases that fit your needs an watch/read some reviews (don't want to promote it but LinusTechTips has some nice video reviews on YouTube).

SSDs are awesome for OSs but they are better for reading, writing shortens their lifespan (although most SSDs will last a few years).

Edit: You should look into configuring your SSD right, so it will last longer. There's a whole bunch of settings you should dis/enable. Just google it, there are tons of articles that don't go into depth (like messing around with the registry).

Edit 2: Great, now I want to upgrade my PC too -_- You're right, it IS a curse! Especially when you're a perfectionist^^
    So this is what im going to go for for my new case:

Corsair Carbide 500R Midi Tower Case - Black/White (CC-9011013-WW) [CC-9011013-WW]

And for the CPU cooler, I think im going to go for this:
    Zalman CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler [CNPS11X Extreme]
    05-04-2014 12:16 AM
    Nice choice! I have a Corsair case myself (the orange Graphite 230T).
    Does your MoBo have enough fan headers? The case comes with already 4 fans pre-installed.

As for the CPU cooler, even if it was the best one on the market, I'd go with something more "stylish" :-P That's the reason why I'll probably never end up with a Noctua fan/cooler^^
    Any height problems with your RAM and the cooler?
    05-04-2014 05:49 AM
    Nice choice! I have a Corsair case myself (the orange Graphite 230T).
    Does your MoBo have enough fan headers? The case comes with already 4 fans pre-installed.

As for the CPU cooler, even if it was the best one on the market, I'd go with something more "stylish" :-P That's the reason why I'll probably never end up with a Noctua fan/cooler^^
    Any height problems with your RAM and the cooler?
    The case itself as you said comes with 4 preinstalled. Three 120mms(two front, one rear) and the 200mm side fan. All of these four fans get plugged into the cases fan controller so it will only use one header on the MoBo but will require a 4 pin molex directly to the controller. Fine with me as my PSU came with a million cables lol

I have three 120mm fans in my current case so they are being transferred over and will fill my remaining three MoBo fan headers which will result in 6 120mms, and 1 200mm when I first get the case. haha!! Im thinking of keeping the Corsair fans in the same location as they come, two front and one rear, and then two of my three on the top of the case, and the other one attached either to either one of the HDD bits on the inside of the case, or right at the bottom of the case.

If I end up wanting more fans in it then i'm just going to get a fan controller. There is a nice one on overclockers that has a meshy front on it which ties in with the case. Functional and attractive

The only other Coolers I was looking at was the Akasa Venom Medusa or the Zalman CNPS12X because they are very highly rated and they look absolutely badass!! Although cost wise I'm trying to figure out if I want to get everything in one go or spread the cost.

In regards to clearance, My RAM is low profile, so the majority of the coolers will either just fit with the RAM in channel 1 and 3, or if not then putting the RAM in channel 2 and 4 will be fine. Only thing I need to be conscious of is the height of the CPU cooler as the max cooler height for the case is 180mm
    05-04-2014 05:39 PM
280 12345 ...