Post your Rig Specs Here!

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It's set to pull.

CPU is 10c idling. Not sure underload (no benchmark software)
GPU is 28c idling? Not sure.

Did some reorganizing of wires. Not trying anymore, i'm awfully messy. :X
296jjh3.jpg

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I really like the RAM and CPU cooler (would be my first choice as an air cooling aftermarket solution but I'm playing with the thought of getting a small AIO from Corsair's H-series). Though, it looks like the cooler is moving the air down towards the GPU or is it set up as pull? I'm a bit jealous, I only can install up to 6 fans (excluding the CPU cooler) :-(

What temps do you get?

I'm glad you got all the drivers working.

UPDATE: Two Hours of Thief on MAX and my GPU is up to 48c and my CPU is at 29c. ;) fun stuff man!

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Is 48c normal for a gpu? Isn't or a bit too hot?
After searching around I thought it was a good temp. People with two fans are saying they get into the 60's. I asked on linustechtips and tomshardware and they said I should OC it since I'm not even breaking a sweat on it, so I'm guessing it's really low. :X

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Damn, I forgot how inaccurate the AMD temp monitor is :-/ I've read that the idle tmeps can't be trusted with AMD chips because it doesn't really measure the temps rather than "calculate" them. Also, temps below room temp are unlikely without liquid nitrogen^^

But the GPU temps look really good. Kudos!

Prateek Kumar

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Motherboard: Intel H67BL
CPU: i3 Gen 2
RAM: 4 GB Kingston DDR3
GPU: Sapphire HD 6670 1GB GDDR5
Storage:500GB WD Blue
PSU: 500W cooler master
Cooling: 4 Cooler Master fans 120mm, don't remember the model.
Monitor: Phillips 222EL
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same. And I have four cooler master fans yet my CPU runs real hot up to 72 degree C and sometimes even higher.

Do you have an aftermarket heatsink? i3 really shouldn't be getting that hot unless it's under extreme pressure or something is wrong. That's testing the limits.

UPDATE:
Also what's your fan flow look like?

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the same. And I have four cooler master fans yet my CPU runs real hot up to 72 degree C and sometimes even higher.

72?C doesn't seem right. Do you use the stock heatsink that came with the CPU? Usually there is some TIM pre-applied to it but you can unmount it, clean it and apply some new thermal paste to it.
I have an i3-4130 and only got temps that high when I was running Burn In test. In idle I get 28-36?C (depending on room temp) and abou 40-46?C on load during games (well, actually I only play Diablo 3).

@Case: Flagz' case is a Bitfenix Shinobi. I just quoted your post too ;-)

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pentium D 925, it gets notoriously hot when playing games, it goes upto 65c and the fans start spinning out loud, so I redirected the AC air flow towards my case and now idle temp is 28-32c and under load, it is 45-46c. I haven't applied TIM in 2 years(Coz of entrance exams), need to buy and apply some tomorrow ^_^

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Pentium D 925, it gets notoriously hot when playing games, it goes upto 65c and the fans start spinning out loud, so I redirected the AC air flow towards my case and now idle temp is 28-32c and under load, it is 45-46c. I haven't applied TIM in 2 years(Coz of entrance exams), need to buy and apply some tomorrow ^_^

Well, 2 years should be tolerable (my old PC hasn't had a TIM replacement in 6years and worked fine!^^).
An aftermarket CPU cooler might help too. And/or replacing the case fans with more efficient ones. But before you change too much and spend too much money on cooling a CPU that old, you might thinking about upgrading your whole rig (Socket 775 is kinda outdated when it comes to new parts; the performance is still good, though).

Prateek Kumar

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
72?C doesn't seem right. Do you use the stock heatsink that came with the CPU? Usually there is some TIM pre-applied to it but you can unmount it, clean it and apply some new thermal paste to it.
I have an i3-4130 and only got temps that high when I was running Burn In test. In idle I get 28-36?C (depending on room temp) and abou 40-46?C on load during games (well, actually I only play Diablo 3).

@Case: Flagz' case is a Bitfenix Shinobi. I just quoted your post too ;-)
But the temperatures at my place reach 40 degrees or above and there's no air conditioner in my PC room. And yes I'm using the stock heat sink. And I have tried applying thermal paste in the past alot of times but the temperatures don't come down. So I feel it's because the temperatures at my place are too hot.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
But the temperatures at my place reach 40 degrees or above and there's no air conditioner in my PC room. And yes I'm using the stock heat sink. And I have tried applying thermal paste in the past alot of times but the temperatures don't come down. So I feel it's because the temperatures at my place are too hot.

If your room temperature is already at 40?C thermal paste alone will not do wonders. Get an aftermarket cooler (the bigger the better, but try to stay within your budget) and if you can add more case fans. Which case do you have and how many case fans (+ where are they positioned)? Try to get as much airflow as possible. Even if your room temp is 40?C the temps in the case will always be higher. Cleaning the case is important too. Dust prevents proper airflow and can prevent the parts from bein cooled (like when dust fills up the spaces in your CPU heat sink.

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
General rule of thumb for airflow:

Front/ bottom/side - intake
Rear and Top - exhausts
CPU Cooler - front to rear flow

Mine is setup:
Front - 2x120mm intake
Bottom - 1x120mm intake(being replaced with 140mm Corsair quiet series)
Side - 1x200mm intake
Rear - 1x120mm exhaust (being replaced with 140mm Corsair quiet series)
Top - 2x120mm exhaust(being replaced with 2x140mm Corsair quiet series)
CPU - 2x140mm front to rear flow

Current temps PWM:
CPU:27
MB:22
FX:28
Under BF4 on ultra settings-PWM
CPU:40 max
MB:25 max
GFX:50 max

After this, I have no immediate plans. The fans were all I wanted to do just to have consistency with the look and performance. I think its time I enjoy my computer instead of tweaking lol

Flags
The picture you posted at the top of this page, is your GFX card being pulled down by something at the back of it? It looks a bit off centre :S maybe it is the picture im not sure.

Prateek

High ambient room temps will definitely have an affect on the ambient temp in the case itself. How are you montoring the temperature? That seems quite high for idle even with a room temp of what you mentioned.

I would highly recommend a decent CPU cooler, depending on what case you have, get a new one that can generate better pressures, and fans to assist with good airflow. Even a good front to rear blowing setup would work wonders.

And as qwarkdreams mentioned, thermal paste on its own will only do so much, even different brands have a differing of 1/2 degree so it must be down to flow.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
General rule of thumb for airflow:

Front/ bottom/side - intake
Rear and Top - exhausts
CPU Cooler - front to rear flow

Mine is setup:
Front - 2x120mm intake
Bottom - 1x120mm intake(being replaced with 140mm Corsair quiet series)
Side - 1x200mm intake
Rear - 1x120mm exhaust (being replaced with 140mm Corsair quiet series)
Top - 2x120mm exhaust(being replaced with 2x140mm Corsair quiet series)
CPU - 2x140mm front to rear flow

Current temps PWM:
CPU:27
MB:22
FX:28
Under BF4 on ultra settings-PWM
CPU:40 max
MB:25 max
GFX:50 max

After this, I have no immediate plans. The fans were all I wanted to do just to have consistency with the look and performance. I think its time I enjoy my computer instead of tweaking lol

Flags
The picture you posted at the top of this page, is your GFX card being pulled down by something at the back of it? It looks a bit off centre :S maybe it is the picture im not sure.

Prateek

High ambient room temps will definitely have an affect on the ambient temp in the case itself. How are you montoring the temperature? That seems quite high for idle even with a room temp of what you mentioned.

I would highly recommend a decent CPU cooler, depending on what case you have, get a new one that can generate better pressures, and fans to assist with good airflow. Even a good front to rear blowing setup would work wonders.

And as qwarkdreams mentioned, thermal paste on its own will only do so much, even different brands have a differing of 1/2 degree so it must be down to flow.

Similar setup, as me! :D and no from the first time I put in my GFX Card its been off centered. I have NO idea what's wrong with it/the MB, but I'm not replacing just yet. I'll elaborate what could possibly be the problem when I get home.

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Similar setup, as me! :D and no from the first time I put in my GFX Card its been off centered. I have NO idea what's wrong with it/the MB, but I'm not replacing just yet. I'll elaborate what could possibly be the problem when I get home.

Its quite normal that GPUs sag over time. Some people buy backplates to prevent this a bit. I wonder why there hasn't been something invented to support the GPUs and give them more rigidity.

@cw1988: Aren't most CPU coolers designed in a way that they can only be installed with the fans moving air from bottom to top? The only CPU cooler I've seen that offers the possibility to mount the fans either way is the Scythe Ninja 3.

Before you exchange the fans on the top make sure your 8pin CPU cable will still fit through the hole above the MoBo (had to reroute mine and fixate it with a ziptie so it doesn't touch the RAM). Will exchange them anyway in the future for Corsair LED fans, add one on the bottom (plus dustfilter) and exchange the top one with a 120mm so I can route the 8pin cable behind the MoBo again).

Btw: Noctua now has black fans :D

I want an aftermarket cooler and everyone and everywhere I asked I got the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo recommended, but I want something more aesthetically pleasing, like the be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 but that one seems to be flimsy to install.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12