Are you still using Windows despite all the attacks going on?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Linux isn't a solution for many people. I'm a professional video editor and the NLE's that I use are not available on Linux. Because of that I have no compelling reason to invest time in it (even though I have it on a separate boot drive).

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Does it give you a chill knowing that your beloved Windows OS is becoming a joke with all the security holes and backdoors lurking in the wild? Perhaps it's about time to give a try to the free software alternatives(aka linux)?

No, because I use Windows 10 with latest updates.

Oh, and this isn't linuxcentral. You must have made a wrong turn in Albuquerque (said in Bugs Bunny voice). 😉

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Does it give you a chill knowing that your beloved Windows OS is becoming a joke with all the security holes and backdoors lurking in the wild? Perhaps it's about time to give a try to the free software alternatives(aka linux)?

No chills here. An updated Windows PC has not been effected.
What joke, what security holes and what backdoors are your referring to.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Actually, I am. And I will continue to. Why?
Because nothing I own was even remotely effected. I'm using Windows 10, a supported and consistently updated operating system. Is it impregnable? Absolutely not. But any time a security exploit threatens me or my personal information, there is a patch the next day to fix it. That and a combination of my own internet safety intelligence protects me from these attacks.

In fact, I'll go a step beyond saying I'm still using Windows 10. I am going to applaud Microsoft for trying to wake the world up. For too long governments and large corporations have been stuck to the past, using technology but refusing to acknowledge their importance in protecting their citizens or their consumers. So many organizations refuse to update their systems properly (like still using Windows XP years after it has become outdated and unsupported) even when Microsoft warns them years in advance and offers them the chance to continue support (as long as they, you know, pay Microsoft. Because it's not Microsoft's job to keep everyone safe forever, and for free). The UK government tried to blame Microsoft for not update Windows XP, which is 16 YEARS OLD. Windows XP has been around longer then my little sister, who is a freshman in high school. And yet, they were actually given an offer to keep XP safe and secure that the UK government REFUSED.

For too long governments and organizations have been refusing to fund a proper IT infrastructure that could help them monitor and protect the millions of people who's personal information are entrusted to them.

For too long these same organizations have been stockpiling the very same exploits that are stolen from the very same organizations and turned against us, instead of turning these exploits into the companies that can protect us. The NSA KNEW about this exploit, but did they tell Microsoft? No, they didn't. Instead, the exploit was stolen and was used against thousands of people, including the UK's NHS.

The world needs to wake up. Technology like Windows 10, Google's Android and ChromeOS, and Apple's many (many) operating systems are all an integral part of society now, and security on the web and on the devices in our home needs to be taken just as seriously as security out there on the battlefield. Our own government has (on multiple occasions), been the reason our privacy has been compromised. Have we forgotten what happened with the CIA? I don't think people realize just how hard companies like Google and Microsoft have to work to keep us safe, especially when the very governments that lord over them and control them are keeping these exploits hidden from them.

If anything, these attacks should set a precedent. I applaud Microsoft for standing up and calling these organizations out, and then being the bigger person by turning around and releasing a patch for outdated, unsupported, and archaic operating systems at a LOSS. Yes, we call it "free," but you know it costs Microsoft thousands, if not millions, to do this.

And, no, this doesn't end at the governments and how they treat us as citizens, and how they treat internet security like it's a game. This also extends to the companies I've been referring to, like Google and Microsoft. Companies who use exploits to attempt to destroy the PR of their rival. Like when Google informs Microsoft (publically) of a security issue then gives them three whole days to find it, patch it, and release that patch before releasing the exploit publically.

Ah, you know what? I think I'm done ranting, haha.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm personally not too worried about this ransomware thing going around...

I have many different hard drives/SSDs with different OSs on them including many versions of Linux, W10, 8.1, and 7. So if they affect one HDD, I have a backup/clone of the hard drive, and different flavors of Linux to play around with. :p

I also usually have Wifi off unless I'm actually using it, but even when it's on I'm only visiting the same very few websites as I do daily.

I had a ransomware attack about 6 years ago and I got around it by going into Windows Safe Mode and creating a new guest or admin user and copying the files from the old user into the new one, then of course delete the old account. I haven't tried anything like this on W10 but should it be similar?

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site

Not in the slightest and certainly doesn't mean I'll switch to Linux - it's horrific to learn and driver support for anything beyond a mouse and keyboard, to use your words, is a joke.

The problem is people not patching their OS and refusing to patch their system when requested.

If Linux had 90%+ market share, it would have exactly the same problem - arguments that it is inherently more secure because of the way it is built are a fallacy because of terrible market share and mass fragmentation with 100s of distributions to choose from

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Actually dial up modems are a lot more secure. Particularly with rare frequencies. The military use them..

I bet amigaOS or OS/2 is secure AF. Slap a dial up modem on that badboy and your set for life.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
The one attack that is currently ongoing has and is affecting windows xp users who didn't update - I'm on windows 10 on my laptop, surface and phone - so I'm confident I'm secure

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

No OS is completely secure despite what you might think. The NSA were stockpiling vulnerabilities in not just Windows but MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android so before you start trash talking Windows remember what I'm about to say "Security through obscurity is no security at all". Basically just because you might use an OS that has a practically non existent market share as a desktop OS, doesn't mean it's automatically secure.

To answer your question though, not at all as I'm using fully patched versions of Windows 10 on every machine in the house including my Phone. As others have stated, this isn't Linux Central so perhaps you should give up on the trolling while you're behind.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Actually dial up modems are a lot more secure. Particularly with rare frequencies. The military use them..

I bet amigaOS or OS/2 is secure AF. Slap a dial up modem on that badboy and your set for life.

The military only use dial-up modems as backups, not the primary means of communication. Dial-Up or Broadband it makes no difference, put an unpatched version of XP online on either type of connection and it will still get infected. The only reason those two OSs are secure is because no one uses them any more but you can bet they have unpatched vulnerabilities in them.

Edwin S

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
With LINUX being so much better than Windows according to some people, I wonder why it hasn't caught on as the go to desktop OS for consumers and business users? I have been using/developing on it since about 1996.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
With LINUX being so much better than Windows according to some people, I wonder why it hasn't caught on as the go to desktop OS for consumers and business users? I have been using/developing on it since about 1996.

The problem is that Linux isn't user friendly for the consumer, having to use a command line for certain tasks when Windows has a GUI is hardly user friendly for the average consumer even though it is for the IT Pro. Not only that but the vast majority of applications only have Windows versions, Photoshop Elements, Office and a hell of a lot of games. There are alternatives but they are either inferior, have a steep learning curve or have serious file format compatibility issues. This is just from my own personal experience of using Linux and I'm an IT Pro.

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I thought Michael Horrowitz in Computerworld made an interesting point about the built-in Windows Firewall being the overlooked defense against the last 2 ransomware outbreaks. The Windows firewall is the overlooked defense against WannaCry and Adylkuzz | Computerworld

And apparently if you don't reboot & you do get infected there are tools to help you and possibly decrypt the files under XP,Vista,Win7 & server2003.
https://blog.comae.io/wannacry-decrypting-files-with-wanakiwi-demo-86bafb81112d

L0n3N1nja

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site

I've used multiple versions of Linux in the past, they are almost useless because they lack software. Linux isn't some magical safe OS either, no one targets it because almost no one uses it.

I use Windows because it's required for the things I do, Windows has been a target of viruses since the 90s, and it's more secure than ever.

And I view Android, iOS, and ChromeOS as more functional and useful than a Linux computer at this point.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I just acquired an old Linux program (I forgot the bloody name though) that I'm planning to play around with on my old Toshiba but other than that I don't have a ton of experience with Linux.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb