Is the debate over? Is Windows 10 accepted as the best Windows OS over Windows 7?

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
I seen an article on this earlier. I know it's all opinion based and it can't really be called "The Best Windows OS" but...

Do you think Windows 10 comes out on top in terms of security (no pun intended)(WannaCry Ransomware), reliability and any other categories that fits in there?

Or are you still with good ol' W7 or XP? Maybe in between with Windows 8?

I personally like the security, speed, and design of Windows 10, but... I HATE the telemetry and user data collection of Windows 10 with a passion. Even when you have the telemetry and collection set to basic, they still collect 90% of everything you do.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it's the best overall but it still hasn't regained my reliability/consistency/solidity trust that I value highly in 8.1.

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Do you think Windows 10 comes out on top in terms of security (no pun intended)(WannaCry Ransomware), reliability and any other categories that fits in there?
I wouldn't know, security isn't an issue for me, and it hasn't been the last 10 years or so.
I don't think the difference between W10 and 7/8 is big though.

I'd say most people just stick with what came preloaded on their laptop, and grab free upgrades (W10) when available.

Still on 8.1, I still have no use for a Start menu.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I appreciate the telemetry. More data for them, to make the OS stable and secure, better service from Cortana, and apps suggestions in the store that I might actually want to use.

Its not like google, selling the info to advertisers, in the form of google search, or facebook, gathering personal data on my political views. Its functional, useful. It's not keylogging.

Anyway, windows 7 was nice back in the day, but its no modern OS. Not a patch off 10, in terms of speed, cross hardware compatibility, touch, stylus, voice, or the brilliant UWP platform

In many ways, everything is more within reach too. Right click power user menu, action menu etc, makes common functions easier to get to. Screen gestures for taskview or snapping windows etc. Definitely 10 makes the others look old.

But, seeing as its a service, it never stops or stays stagnant, its always improving. Windows 10 in a year will probably be better than windows 10 now.

Last edited:

diego3336

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I was asking myself this same question these days and it's still a split decision. I'm using Windows since 3.11, and as a modern OS, yes, I think W10 is the best one, not only comparing to other Windows, but any other home PC OS I've used, like Ubuntu and macOS.

But there's something special about W7. I hadn't used it since W8 was launched, until last month when I had to use an old laptop running W7 and I had that feeling that I was 'at home'. Everything simply just feels right on W7, like I said before, It had been 5 years since I used it for the last time, and yet I was using it like I had never stopped. There's no drama, all the settings are right there on Control Panel, where on W10 I still get myself sometimes opening the 'new' Settings searching for something that is on Control Panel and vice-versa.

That's why it's a split decision to me. I think W10 is better than W7, but I still like W7 more than I like W10...

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
The user interface is great, but the telemetry is a enormous security issue particularly for businesses that are looking at replacing Windows 7 machines. with Microsoft having abandoned the mobile computing apace there is no guarantee that they wond replace Windows 7 machines with Linux boxes or Macintoshes.

Would probably be a good idea for MS to sell a professional version with the telemetry stripped out.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I like Windows 10 maybe the best yeah, it hasn't given any trouble since I started using it in 2015.

In terms of privacy, I keep information at Basic and I turn off most of the permissions especially ones I don't think is necessary.
Google is worst when it comes to this issue.

Honestly with Windows 10 I don't get the big fuss about telemetry when people pretty much share everything in Facebook these days.

Also add the fact that Alexa usage is growing with the mainstream consumer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium