merrick

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
has anyone got a decent ebook reader that also allows you to read .epub files?
i've tried freda but its not for me. no support of chapters etc

am looking for an advanced ereader that's speedy (downloading a new book dont have to be fast) in loading books, has chapters ...

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to say I don't know of any that would work for you if Freda's not your thing. There's a similar one I believe it's called ABookReader, and it works similarly. Otherwise, nothing that I'm aware of that supports ePub.

Guess it's time to wait for that Mobipocket app =(

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
i've tried freda but its not for me. no support of chapters etc
Maybe I don't understand what you're looking for, but Freda certainly does offer some support for chapters. Long-tap on the book page and you'll see a tab control.
On tab 1, you have a scrollable list showing all the sections (that is, chapter sub-files in the EPUB archive) and, within each section a list of page numbers. Tap on one of these to navigate to it
On tab 2 ('contents') you have the table of contents of the book. Tap on any entry in the table of contents to navigate to it.

In terms of speed to load: the next release of Freda (within a week, I hope) will offer significantly better performance. Typical timings for opening a large book on my Samsung Omnia 7:
- to download a book over the air: about 30 seconds before you can start reading; another 4 minutes before pagination is complete (so the page/chapter navigator works)
- to re-open a book you already downloaded: 4 seconds before you can start reading; pagination completes in 45 seconds.

Hope this helps clarify what Freda can/can't do. Any questions, please drop me an email at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk

Thanks,

Jim
-

merrick

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I don't understand what you're looking for, but Freda certainly does offer some support for chapters. Long-tap on the book page and you'll see a tab control.
On tab 1, you have a scrollable list showing all the sections (that is, chapter sub-files in the EPUB archive) and, within each section a list of page numbers. Tap on one of these to navigate to it
On tab 2 ('contents') you have the table of contents of the book. Tap on any entry in the table of contents to navigate to it.

In terms of speed to load: the next release of Freda (within a week, I hope) will offer significantly better performance. Typical timings for opening a large book on my Samsung Omnia 7:
- to download a book over the air: about 30 seconds before you can start reading; another 4 minutes before pagination is complete (so the page/chapter navigator works)
- to re-open a book you already downloaded: 4 seconds before you can start reading; pagination completes in 45 seconds.

Hope this helps clarify what Freda can/can't do. Any questions, please drop me an email at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk

Thanks,

Jim
-

thanks Jim you've answered most of my questions. Now am rarther pleased i've the chapters screen :) Thanks! looking forward to the update!

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
And here's a thank you note for Jim Chapman, developer of Freda. Thanks for the wonderful app and being so helpful via email and forums in supporting it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss