Why no WP7

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I see many places that have apps for IOS and Android but not WP7
News places like Aljazeera for one and many others what is the reason for this? why does WP7 get ignored

Luisraul924

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't, but the thing is WP7 apps has to be done Metro style so you can't just port your apps.

Not entirely true, devs aren't forced to write their apps with the metro design, but they do still have to take the time to write the app and make sure it works well. A heavy investment of resources that's for certain. With the platform as young as it is some places may not really want to make the leap just yet. A good example is Shazam made a really simple app it tags and links to the marketplace if you want to buy it, that's it nothing fancy. Now that "Bing Audio" was "leaked" Shazam knows they have a limited time to market their "premium" app which just came out its Shazam Encore and it fetches a pretty penny but now offers lyric search and some others. One of the features actually states "unlimited" tagging so now that leads me to believe there will be an update soon to the current free app that restricts the number of tags before you have to buy the "premium" version.

Last edited:

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It is very frustrating. I do agree that Mango can't come soon enough. I think MS has something to do with this as well. The NoDo thing didn't go well. what will happen with Mango is anyone's guess how long will it be held back and so on. So it could be for reasons such as that, that Deve's don't invest the time in the OS.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the OS is too new for developer to put focus on it. I had a BlackBerry which was pretty terrible for official app support and I have to say WP7 is a lot better. Give it time. We've got RunKeeper which was an iOS app so developers out there do realize WP7 exists. Socket support with Mango should bring more streaming music and chat related apps too.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
What does socket support means exactly? I suck at all this since this is my first Smartphone after all.

It basically allows programs to listen/bind to a host port (like say google talks servers) to give you back and forth information in real time as it happens even when the app is not 'open', instead of having to 'poll' at certain intervals, or have the app open at all times.

Instant Messengers, 3rd party messaging apps, skype, a google voice app that doesn't need a server workaround for notifications, apps that allow you to watch your home/business security network ect all need these.

MS is releasing pretty much every API to dev's for Mango, so you will see a large increase in apps at that time for all sorts of good things.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused but I'm all for new apps. I need a messenger app asap. ( My prepaid phone had it for God's sake )

Well, just gotta wait for Mango. Kik messenger is coming soon supposedly, and IM+, but I doubt they will work that well until Mango.

Its been a bummer for everybody used to using them (myself included), but everything we've asked for in terms of API's is coming in the next big update, so I am cool waiting.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm still a bit confused but I'm all for new apps. I need a messenger app asap. ( My prepaid phone had it for God's sake )
Mango will make things better, but there are apps out there. Messenger now uses push notification and I know there are a few Yahoo messenger apps. Do some searching in Marketplace.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
The biggest issue for developers is the perception that they can't make any real money on WP7 yet.

Of all the folks I know making WP7 apps, only a handful are making enough money to even pay back the $99 annual fee to join the marketplace program.

I agree that Mango can't get here soon enough.

Nokia may bring in enough users to reach critical mass, too.

The overlooked problem is the catalog. If your app isn't in the top 50 or so apps, then it effectively doesn't exist. It is simply too difficult to scroll down past about that point for most people. They get frustrated by laggy loadtimes and quit. That's not the case on other platforms.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem with the MP is this, when I searching and find an app I want more info on rather than take me back to the place where I left off. it takes me back to the top again which is very frustrating.I end up not bothering to continue searching for that reason. so it's not really fare for the apps that are lower down on the list.

jeffa00

Dec 2, 2010
galacticbeacon.com
I think the problem with the MP is this, when I searching and find an app I want more info on rather than take me back to the place where I left off. it takes me back to the top again which is very frustrating.I end up not bothering to continue searching for that reason. so it's not really fare for the apps that are lower down on the list.

I just read your reply here and you are SPOT on. That is the most ridiculous way of doing things.

Laggy scrolling + return to top of list = EPIC FAIL.

What they have inadvertently built is an ecosystem like the film industry. If you don't make your fortune on your opening weekend, you drop into obscurity.

Another thing they did that I find sad is the trial mode. From a TECHNICAL perspective it is brilliant. As a developer it is dead easy for me to set up a trial mode in my apps. That means you can try the app for free and see if you like it.

The problem is from a business/marketing/consumer perspective this is a fail. Why? Free trial versions ONLY show up under the paid category. Most people go straight to the free apps (once they figure out there are more apps than just XBox Live games... another issue). Microsoft's goal was to eliminate the practice on other platforms of having TWO apps: 1 free and 1 paid. With their trial system you can very easily have ONE app that has free/trial and paid modes.

The problem is that they only show the app in the paid category. That means smart developers have abandoned the trial mode in favor of the free version that people will actually try...

The app I have in the catalog now works with trial mode. Technically it works great and was a joy to program. Business-wise it is a disaster. Fortunately for me I was porting the app from WebOS, so the content was already available. If I had started with WP7, I would have quit and become a hermit by now.

The app I'm working on now is different. It is a simple game that will be free with ads. I'm curious to see if it fares better.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, I have a many apps and games, only a handful are free. the rest I paid for. but on 90% I did the trial first. if I didn't buy it then it got uninstalled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes