Multiplayer games

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Is greater support for multiplayer games being pushed or already announced as something being addressed in the future? Like with xbox live you can challenge ppl to beat your high score, but not invite to play a live game in real time? I would like this to really be pushed as a big feature of windows mobile gaming with ur friends in real time....but if this has already been addressed forgive my ignorance O.O

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think you do not see many just because most developers are afraid a lot of people would not play them out of fear using up all their data.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Is it often that ppl dont have unlimited data or wifi? To me it seems like if u have a smart phone you either drop money on unlimited data or use wifi frequently

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
But like some other posts talking abt iphone games, alot of them are beautiful and id love to play something on my phone like that, the software and the hardware is there in order to output the same results, and id like to have an advantage to my wp7, begin that on my xbox live mobile accnt, i can play other wp7 ppl, in any xbox live game with multiplayer support

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Is it often that ppl dont have unlimited data or wifi? To me it seems like if u have a smart phone you either drop money on unlimited data or use wifi frequently

Very few carriers offer truly unlimited data now. It is typically a 2gb plan for $25 to $30 US, and if you want more/tethering/closer to (but not quite) unlimited it is another $30 or more US dollars. So, most people do not have unlimited data here in the US.

And everywhere I go does not always have WiFi. Sure I have WiFi at home and work; but to be honest, if I am somewhere else even with free WiFi, unless I am going to do a lot of data I would just rather use my data then take the time to login to some other wifi network I have not used before.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not like online play is required in 99% of games that have it. If you were connected to 3G, developers could just disable the multiplayer function. Truly data usage is not a part of the issue.

Last edited:

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Very few carriers offer truly unlimited data now. It is typically a 2gb plan for $25 to $30 US, and if you want more/tethering/closer to (but not quite) unlimited it is another $30 or more US dollars. So, most people do not have unlimited data here in the US.

And everywhere I go does not always have WiFi. Sure I have WiFi at home and work; but to be honest, if I am somewhere else even with free WiFi, unless I am going to do a lot of data I would just rather use my data then take the time to login to some other wifi network I have not used before.
Technically, the times when you're serious about live multiplayer, you usually should be in a place where there's wifi. Unlike casual phone games, where you can pause and leave when you need to do something, you should only play live multiplayer games when you have enough time to dedicate to the other player(s). For example, I wouldn't sign on to play a Call of Duty match if I knew I didn't have at least 15 minutes available to concentrate on playing well.

The only times I can think of where you might want to play a game where you weren't near wifi would be while you're a passenger in a car or public transportation. Even then, though, a bumpy moving vehicle might not be the most helpful for gaming.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It's not online play is required in 99% of games that have it. If you were connected to 3G, developers could just disable the multiplayer function. Truly data usage is not a part of the issue.

Not that it is actually a 100% problem; but that many people perceive it as a problem. Not a month goes by that you do not hear about someone getting a $1,000+ (often $10,000+) phone bill. Many people are worried about it.

Not saying it is why, but it is a legitimate worry for developers toward making online multiplayer games on a phone. Something like scrabble or hangman or chess or card games requires very little data, but more complex games requires much more data. And it will also use the battery up MUCH faster, another problem.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree this should be happening now, I hope they anounce something about online multiplayer gaming on the 24th, its is crazy that when I play UNO on my xbox I can't play users that are on a WP7, Same with the new Poker Game out on Xbox ?
they can make it so you can only play these multiplayer games over wifi that sould be easy just like you can't download games and large files from the marketplace unless your on WIFi...
I am praying for this Microsfot Owns XBOX they must be doing something ..

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The soonest we will possibly hear an announcement about multiplayer Xbox Live games will be at E3 in June. I think they might wait until Mango is nearly ready to roll out before they mention it though. We'll see!

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
New converts to AT&T like myself do not, but I wouldn't be shocked if a fairly high percentage of WM7 owners have grandfathered plans.

Your grandfathered in plan only last until your contract was up. If you get a new phone then, you are then agreeing to a new contract and you no longer have unlimited data.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Your grandfathered in plan only last until your contract was up. If you get a new phone then, you are then agreeing to a new contract and you no longer have unlimited data.
Is that for everyone? I have a few people at work with iPhone 4s and unlimited data. Although they may have upgraded before the data caps came around.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, if you upgraded before the datacap came around, you should be good until you sign a new contract. But they also reserve the right to change it at anytime....!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos