Which game out the Six week event will you get?

riskosd

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the trial of Hydro Thunder Go.

I dunno about this one, maybe I expected a super smooth frame rate experience and I'm asking too much. It's not unplayable and I expect the full title is worth it for the leaderboards and achievements and it may just be my phone.

Installed and running on an up-to-date LG Optimus 7 and would be inerested in other peoples thoughts regarding frame rate which at a guess would say is about 20 fps, again I'm probably expecting too much.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the trial of Hydro Thunder Go.

I dunno about this one, maybe I expected a super smooth frame rate experience and I'm asking too much. It's not unplayable and I expect the full title is worth it for the leaderboards and achievements and it may just be my phone.

Installed and running on an up-to-date LG Optimus 7 and would be inerested in other peoples thoughts regarding frame rate which at a guess would say is about 20 fps, again I'm probably expecting too much.

I try it right now from the same phone and the graphics are just bad. Blurry, low poly and doesn't seem to be running at the correct resolution. It looks washed out.

It controls pretty fine actually but due to the bad graphics and average framerate is hard to see what's going on and there doesn't seem to be a way to pause the game.

Very disappointed. On the upside Pacman CE DX continues to be awesome.

Edit: You can pause the game by pressing back, silly me.

Last edited:

SolidusMox

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I am playing Pac_Man CE DX (great game). I will try the Hydro Thunder trial when I get home. Not sure I will get any of the others. I already own Sonic 4(PSN), Angry Birds(PRE) and Plants Vs Zombies(PC).

Sonic 4 would be nice to have on the go, it would be more for my son than for me.

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I try it right now from the same phone and the graphics are just bad. Blurry, low poly and doesn't seem to be running at the correct resolution. It looks washed out.

It controls pretty fine actually but due to the bad graphics and average framerate is hard to see what's going on and there doesn't seem to be a way to pause the game.

Very disappointed. On the upside Pacman CE DX continues to be awesome.

Edit: You can pause the game by pressing back, silly me.

Same thing on the Samsung Focus, and i wont be buying the game until the graphics get better

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Focus and the framerate is fine. Not sure if it's actually performing differently on some phones than others, but that would interesting to find out.

I think the graphics are great for a phone game. The current generation of Windows Phones really isn't that powerful, and it's not like there are many WP7 games with more detailed 3D graphics than Hydro Thunder.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I know but it seems to be very compressed. Like we know the game looks better than this but is poorly optimized. I though I could brag about this game. Please rescue us from mediocrity Gameloft!

FearThyWrath

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Hydro thunder runs great on my att focus with nodo and may update. Framerate could use some help but for a snapdragon processor this looks pretty good imo of course lol

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I know but it seems to be very compressed. Like we know the game looks better than this but is poorly optimized. I though I could brag about this game. Please rescue us from mediocrity Gameloft!

I know what you're talking about. It looks low-res on my Arrive. Maybe that's how it always looked.

Ozzie C14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Caved in and got Pacman CE DX altho already have it on XBLA. Plant's Vs Zombies would be good too. Also own that on the 360 lol. By the way if anyone was wondering, if you own the game on both platforms, you ARE able to still earn a gamerscore for both titles.

:)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That was one of my questions also. Because I already have Sonic 4.

I also hope they are not lazy. When Sonic stays without moving for a minute he better not pull out a freaking iphone.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hydro Thunder is definitely running on dumbed down assets and resolution. But it's a port. I'm not sure what people were expecting from a port of a 360 title :/. It would have been nice to see them re-master the game for a phone platform but that wouldn't be budget conscious.

Really, I don't think that should be a deal breaker. What is, though, is that frame rate. The graphics would be more than excusable if the game would just run smoothly. I highly doubt that preview video was running on target hardware. That happens a lot with preview videos, but still... That's pretty misleading.

I like the game, but unless they can somehow patch that frame rate I'll be counted out.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if you guys are actually experiencing different frame rates than the people who think it looks good... My heart says no, but we shall see. BTW we have an interview with the devs coming up that will address the possibility of frame rate issues.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Must have games

Got Hydro for my focus - i agree with those saying it looks low res and there are frame rate issues, but it's still fun.

i just re-watched the video here (be sure to select 720p): 'Hydro Thunder GO' on Xbox LIVE for Windows Phone looks good, real good | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews and it looks 5x as good in the video as it does on my phone - what's the deal?

Anybody know if Angry Birds will include Seasons? I'm guessing not but it totally should at $3 since you can get both for a $1 each on iPhone.

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Got Hydro for my focus - i agree with those saying it looks low res and there are frame rate issues, but it's still fun.

i just re-watched the video here (be sure to select 720p): 'Hydro Thunder GO' on Xbox LIVE for Windows Phone looks good, real good | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews and it looks 5x as good in the video as it does on my phone - what's the deal?

Anybody know if Angry Birds will include Seasons? I'm guessing not but it totally should at $3 since you can get both for a $1 each on iPhone.

They're probably showing the XBLA vs of the game, so people think it has amazing graphics on the phone

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
No no. You can tell it's the phone version thanks to the texture work, among other things.

Honestly, they were probably capturing the video from the dev kit or something. It definitely wasn't from the target platform. I'm not sure how well versed people here are about these things, but this happens fairly frequently in the gaming world. Just look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q_W0Cul7-U

That trailer? Yeah. It's taken from the PSP game... running on the PC dev kit. The game neither looks, nor runs, nearly as smooth as the video makes it out to be. Again, this happens plenty.

Definitely why I love Microsoft for enforcing demos. It makes it so much easier to have an informed purchasing opinion. Otherwise you get situations like these, where what you might have believed you were paying for is not actually what you got.

Hopefully we'll get some answers from the devs over whether or not this is patchable when Eastx, or someone else, interviews them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro