Which game out the Six week event will you get?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was planing to get this one but thank god I try it. Otherwise I would be angry beyond belief. I hope Angry birds runs smoothly. ( Is WP7 capable of running at 60fps)

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was planing to get this one but thank god I try it. Otherwise I would be angry beyond belief. I hope Angry birds runs smoothly. ( Is WP7 capable of running at 60fps)

Any system can run something at 60fps. It just depends what you're willing to sacrifice in order to get that performance. Considering the WP7 phones like the Focus are about equal to the iPhone 4 in terms of their ability, I wouldn't worry to much about this (unless they do a really lazy porting job, but I strongly doubt that would happen).

jtn05

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
i really hope they fix the frame rate problem on hydro thunder because even with its problems the game is still very fun and has a lot of replay value.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Any system can run something at 60fps. It just depends what you're willing to sacrifice in order to get that performance. Considering the WP7 phones like the Focus are about equal to the iPhone 4 in terms of their ability, I wouldn't worry to much about this (unless they do a really lazy porting job, but I strongly doubt that would happen).

Isn't Fruit Ninja 60fps in IOS and 30fps in WP7?

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha, trying to get in touch with them?

What we're talking about is probably the largest problem both the Windows and Android phones are going to face in terms of gaming... Ports. iOS is simply too popular in terms of mobile game development, and the other two phone operating systems have a fractured market in terms of hardware. It's easier for a company to move their iOS title to another phone, doing a simply "good enough" port.

Hopefully once the platform becomes more popular we'll see people doing titles like "The Harvest", which are actually built for WP7 from the ground up and work great.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha, trying to get in touch with them?

What we're talking about is probably the largest problem both the Windows and Android phones are going to face in terms of gaming... Ports. iOS is simply too popular in terms of mobile game development, and the other two phone operating systems have a fractured market in terms of hardware. It's easier for a company to move their iOS title to another phone, doing a simply "good enough" port.

Hopefully once the platform becomes more popular we'll see people doing titles like "The Harvest", which are actually built for WP7 from the ground up and work great.

Yep, emailed twice but no response. We want to give them coverage and they're not interested. So silly.
Most devs are friendly and cool, which leads to previews and more accurate articles and reviews. Win-win.

iOS ports are an interesting topic. Some people would like nothing but WP7 exclusives for Xbox Live games, but that's not realistic given the small size of the Windows Phone market. Multiplatform games are important even in the console market - if people want to play Call of Duty, then your system had better have Call of Duty or it's at a disadvantage. Thus Windows Phone does need Angry Birds and Doodle Jump. But exclusives get the system noticed, so they're important too. Like you said, more WP7 exclusives will come as the market grows. Look forward to news about a new one - Tentacles - soon. :)

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep, emailed twice but no response. We want to give them coverage and they're not interested. So silly.
Most devs are friendly and cool, which leads to previews and more accurate articles and reviews. Win-win.

iOS ports are an interesting topic. Some people would like nothing but WP7 exclusives for Xbox Live games, but that's not realistic given the small size of the Windows Phone market. Multiplatform games are important even in the console market - if people want to play Call of Duty, then your system had better have Call of Duty or it's at a disadvantage. Thus Windows Phone does need Angry Birds and Doodle Jump. But exclusives get the system noticed, so they're important too. Like you said, more WP7 exclusives will come as the market grows. Look forward to news about a new one - Tentacles - soon. :)

That would be awesome if COD was on windows phone, and whats Tentacles?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'll bite dude, I hope it kick ***..

Anyway Doodle Jump came out today.

It looks pretty neat, certainly better than on my sister's Optimus T but I heard it lack some features so there's no way they will get my money.

I can't be rewarding halfassery, It's sad that we have to pay more for worse ports. Developers should be ashamed.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I can say in their defense is that it didn't launch with all of those themes on iPhone. They added them over time. So from that perspective, our version launches with more stuff, and hopefully they'll add the rest later on. But there's also no real reason they couldn't have just put all the themes in - not much extra work at all on their part.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Doodle Jump Port

The doodle jump port on android was a piece of garbage so I'm wary of it on WP7 - on android it was handed off to another developer, anyone know if the original dev handled the WP7 port or not? After seeing the tragedy of the Pocket God port I'm wary to grab this one - especially at $3 for less content than the $1 iOS version, but that seems to be the norm with Windows Phone 7 for some reason.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The doodle jump port on android was a piece of garbage so I'm wary of it on WP7 - on android it was handed off to another developer, anyone know if the original dev handled the WP7 port or not? After seeing the tragedy of the Pocket God port I'm wary to grab this one - especially at $3 for less content than the $1 iOS version, but that seems to be the norm with Windows Phone 7 for some reason.

It's a different developer. I think the port is great except for the missing themes. But the themes really aren't a huge deal, to be honest. I usually play with the default one anyway.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hydro Thunder Go interview has been posted!

As I expected, they're not aware of any framerate problems on specific devices. I think some people just want a more fluid framerate than what the game actually provides. I think it looks great considering the complexity of the water.

litepink

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a different developer. I think the port is great except for the missing themes. But the themes really aren't a huge deal, to be honest. I usually play with the default one anyway.

The game itself is slightly choppier too IMO compared to iPhone [doesn't affect gameplay whatsoever]. And, the themes wouldn't bother me, except that the soccer theme would be AWESOME for some of the harder achievements, as it's loaded with monsters. Crossing my fingers for an update.

OT: I got Doodle Jump and am going bonkers waiting for Angry Birds
edit: caved and got geoDefense, it's a blast. Will I cave and get Sonic or PvZ?? :p

Last edited:

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Good to see you here, Litepink! For the folks who don't know, Litepink authors numerous Achievement guides at Xbox360Achievements.org and is a valuable member of the Xbox Live community.

I haven't played Doodle Jump on iPhone, but I'll try to mention the slight framerate drop in my review. Other reviews coming soon from me: Earthworm Jim, Pac-Man CE DX, Super Monkey Ball, Guitar Hero 5 Mobile, and Harbor Master.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

I think both Android and WP7 users are simply going to have to get used to the fact that were not the target platform for these titles. The iPhone is. It has the largest digital market for this content going, and there's no denying their delivery system is better than the other company's are currently. Since phone hardware is so completely different between brands, and Apple imposes strict policies on the kind of ways you can develop your game, the practice of offloading cheap ports to other phones for a quick buck won't die any time soon.

It's going to take some time before we see an iPhone scale of dedicated development come to the Windows Phone, if ever.

Personally I think it would help a LOT if MS was less restrictive in it's 1-2 game a week release schedule, pushed the Xbox brand harder (gaming centric phone?), created a more efficient marketplace, and became COMPETITIVE with game pricing (no more $3-7 games that have 1/3 or more of the content missing from other, cheaper, competiting versions). But that's just my 2 cents.

litepink

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Good to see you here, Litepink! For the folks who don't know, Litepink authors numerous Achievement guides at Xbox360Achievements.org and is a valuable member of the Xbox Live community.

yay! thanks. I hope to bring my guides here in some sort of capacity, just don't know what yet. Perhaps an "All Game Room games Guide" or things like "Doodle Jump Guide+Discussion". Maybe something for the main page even (?!).

Anyways, glad to be here. eastx posts periodically on x360a, usually about something cool here on wpCentral so I figured might as well sign up. x360a as a whole is quite big, but the WP7 part is a very marignal part of it, and is mainly focused on just the games (obviously). Thought I could come here to expand on game discussion as well as other aspects of my phone, although Xbox Live games are a major focal point for me.

Anyways, what I forgot to convey about Doodle Jump, is despite the issues, it is awesome, and well worth $3. If you don't have an iPhone, the Windows Phone 7 version is still great, and if you love gamerscore/Xbox Live that's icing on the cake. My iPhone's accelerometer might be very sensitive or something [which might be adjustable], but I feel WP7 has tighter controls for this as well.

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I caved and bought Hydro Thunder Go, actually I've bought all of the Six Week Games so far, Hydro thunder is really good in the full version
i recommend it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb