Announcing the Official WPCentral app for Windows Phone 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys sorry I didn't get to the forum to see this but at least my Twitter account is serving a purpose! I'll just clarify the Live Tile behaviour:

v1.1:
Live tile schedule is set up every time you start the app, and lasts 72 hours, updating hourly, updating for the first time an hour after you've started it.
Image is retrieved from a URL hosted by the WPCentral guys, they will either have an image in place to be the tile, otherwise if there is no image they serve the app the default icon that you see on your start screen right now.

Obviously that's not the best way to do it, as by frequently using the app you could reset the schedule before it gets chance to download.

So I have optimised things a bit in v1.2:
Live tile schedule is set up on first run, provided it has been enabled in the settings.
Live tile schedule is not re-set every time you run the app and lasts 72 hours, it is re-scheduled after 48 hours have passed just to make sure everything is still running.
If you disable the live tile, the Schedule is replaced with a run-once 12 hour schedule which will reset the tile image to the default image as hosted on WPCentral.

That may seem a little confusing but I can't set the tile to be a locally hosted image once the schedule has run once so that' just how it has to work for now.

Hope that clears things up, feel free to use the app's feedback link or contact me on Twitter if you need any assistance at all! :)

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of live tile issues, Jay do you know if the whole issue with the live tiles clogging the registry was taken into consideration regarding this app? Specifically, is this app "safe" to use in terms of not creating multiple registry entries as Jimski has documented with other apps which end up destroying live tiles?

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express
Will let Jay clarify this, but assuming it is pull, then no issues at all regarding the registry and clogging. Pull and push are two different animals.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Jimski is absolutely right, we wanted to use the Pull so you could leave precious push channels open for apps that need it more :)

Sent from my Samsung Omnia 7 using Board Express

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Will let Jay clarify this, but assuming it is pull, then no issues at all regarding the registry and clogging. Pull and push are two different animals.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Jimski is absolutely right, we wanted to use the Pull so you could leave precious push channels open for apps that need it more :)

Thank you both! Great to hear, gentleman and thanks for the refresher on push vs pull apps.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Version 1.2.16 Update

Would just like to add that i love the new settings that allow the colour backgrounds to be switched off. I find it much easier to read now being an old fart and half blind.

The B&W looks classier to me too.

Colour gradients like that look like poo on the Omnia 7 LOL.

Thanks Jay.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Version 1.2.16 Update

Would just like to add that i love the new settings that allow the colour backgrounds to be switched off. I find it much easier to read now being an old fart and half blind.

The B&W looks classier to me too.

Colour gradients like that look like poo on the Omnia 7 LOL.

Thanks Jay.

Glad to have implemented your request Bear :) Keep the requests coming guys I really do read them! In fact everything in v1.2 was put there because of user feedback!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Loving the speed tweaks the app is visibly faster. All the improvements work great I'm really liking the pinch to zoom I don't have to take my glasses of to read the storys anymore. Thanks for your hard work. Now I have an easy one for you can you add the forums to the app? Nothing hard to do just add all the forums and make it so we can post in the forums and start new threads...lol You know when you get around to it. jk I know that would be a PITA to do.

Once again nice job

:ninja: Dave

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Loving the update. One of the biggest speed differences I've noticed is when you press the back button in an article to go back to the newsfeed. It used to flip back over soooo slowly, and now its smooth and quick. D5 mentioned adding the forums to the app, which would be a huge project, but what about the ability to add comments to the articles, rather than just reading them?

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, yes the slow animations were a common complaint so I'm glad I've addressed that for you all!

Forums won't be coming any time soon I'm afraid, I can assure you that it's in my plan (it will be a paid only feature) but I'll need to spend a fair amount of time reading and researching into interfacing with vBulletin.

As for making comments, it's quite literally next on the list, and unless I find some critical bug that requires an immediate fix, v1.3 will not launch until we have commenting as a feature :)

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It really is a very nice app. which just gotten a lot better with this update. love the addition of the dark face. now I don't know which I like better black or blue. solution is one day black one day blue..=) keep up the good work worth every Penney spent on it. as I said before if you own a WP7 device this is a must have app.

BellPego

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Live Tile

Hello... First, congratulations on your app it's great... But I have an issue... Live tile doesn't update... I've had it installed for almost 2 weeks now and it only worked when the Mango preview was relesed.. Them it never updated again... :S

Any ideas..?

Thanks

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hello... First, congratulations on your app it's great... But I have an issue... Live tile doesn't update... I've had it installed for almost 2 weeks now and it only worked when the Mango preview was relesed.. Them it never updated again... :S
Any ideas..?
Thanks

Bell sorry for the late response on this one, I have identified a circumstance where the live tile can become stuck, and this will be fixed in the upcoming v1.3 update. In the meantime if you believe your tile is stuck you can re-regiser the schedule with the OS by disabling and re-enabling the tile option in the app's settings screen.
Hope that helps!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
is it just me or do we not have acces to the forum with this app?? :(

correct. it's not for forum access. we have boardexpress. i wish tapatalk would create an app though.

i have asked tapatalk several times, through their forums, through email and even on twitter and haven't received a response. i know they've seen my email, so not sure why i haven't received a response.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Give me a little time, it's planned in a future version some time but I'm just one guy :D

that be awsome , i spend MOST of my time on this site and other Central sites ( crack berry , android , i phone ) cause i work for Bell and i have nothing better to do lol . id love to reply to stuff with my cell using the ONE app and not 2 :p

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Board express is tapatalk

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Not at all. They use Tapatalk's APIs just like "Forums" for WebOS. Aside from the "are you gonna work on a wp client" question I have asked, they respond and try to answer all questions. BoardExpress and their crew almost seems like they made a good enough client to get people to buy and just dropped off the face of the earth.

Check out their twitter and see the last time they mentioned their wp client.

https://twitter.com/#!/pocketpcch

They're a joke and I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped updating their client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss