E3 2011 and Windows Phone 7

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So does anyone know if new games for the WP7 platform will be showcased at E3? It has been fun playing the current crop of Xbox Live games on WP7 but the honeymoon is over Microsoft. Its time to bring out the big guns and by that I don't mean Angry Birds. Where are the Gears, the Halo's and the Forza's for WP7. The Sony Xperia Play is already getting 20 games, among them Minecraft and Battlefield. Do you think we will see some announcements for WP7?

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Remember that Sony has the Xperia Play. Currently there's no WP7 device that gaming centric. Between that and the fact that Android is a much bigger potential marketplace at this time, it just makes more sense that those games would appear there.

That being said, there's no reason why MS shouldn't be putting more effort into moving its own properties onto their phone platform. It'd be nice if they weren't solely riding on third party offerings. Fable Coin Golf only takes one so far.

Either way, I wouldn't expect much at e3. WP7 is still in its infancy, and there have been little to no rumblings of any MS properties arriving the platform. MS seems more concerned about Mango and simply actually moving their phones... And in reality, that's a little more important than phone games at the moment.

thomasward00

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Remember that Sony has the Xperia Play. Currently there's no WP7 device that gaming centric. Between that and the fact that Android is a much bigger potential marketplace at this time, it just makes more sense that those games would appear there.

That being said, there's no reason why MS shouldn't be putting more effort into moving its own properties onto their phone platform. It'd be nice if they weren't solely riding on third party offerings. Fable Coin Golf only takes one so far.

Either way, I wouldn't expect much at e3. WP7 is still in its infancy, and there have been little to no rumblings of any MS properties arriving the platform. MS seems more concerned about Mango and simply actually moving their phones... And in reality, that's a little more important than phone games at the moment.

Actually if the games are there so will the people, games are VERY important to the smartphone market.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
... among them Minecraft and Battlefield.
Not for nothing, but that sounds awful... and I don't mean it's awful that they're getting it before WP7 gets anything like it, but awful that it's going to be on a phone, even one that's "designed for gaming."

I was excited when I heard SSF4 was first going to be released on the 3DS, but the more I thought about it, the more I didn't think it'd be anywhere near as enjoyable on a handheld as it is on a home console. Likewise, Minecraft doesn't sound appealing without a keyboard and mouse and Battlefield doesn't sound appealing on something that could interrupt you at any time.

That last thing is especially the reason why I don't think "serious" gaming belongs on phones. What happens when a call comes in? Will it ignore potentially important calls or will it disrupt your gaming experience? Most likely the latter, which would hinder any serious gaming, especially multiplayer, and maybe an option to do the former, which takes away the phone part of the... um, phone.

I truly doubt those games would be anything to really rave about short of simply having them. In other words, it looks like just another Android gimmick to me. :rolleyes:

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing wrong with bringing serious games to a phone, and your point about calls is kinda moot. Most of the phone games worth playing have an excellent pause or save system for games, so there's absolutely no reason why you can't simply pick up and play just about anything out there.

I won't disagree that the market for such games is likely smaller than it for the console market, but it's really up to the developers to decide if the risk of development is worth it for those kinds of games. And if they think it is, well... What's the problem? It's not like your food is touching :p. Casual gamers get their games, and core gamers can find the odd title to dabble in themselves. Everyone wins.

Minecraft coming to phones is a good thing.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Gotta agree with Dark Mirage on this one. Casual games are obviously best suited to phones, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be other kinds too.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I didn't mean there should be a law or that I'll protest or anything. I just meant that I doubt it'll be what people dream (e.g., full Halo experience on the phone). Just because Sony/Android is pulling out some "big guns," I highly doubt the experience is anything more than medium gun with a big gun name. In other words, I don't think they're going to lock-in all the gamers with those offerings.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Ehhh... That's a different kind of argument. I admit I'm more inclined to the sort of argument the guys behind Super Meat Boy stand behind, which is that mobile games tend to be a watered down "SELL THE BRAND" experience. Some companies are banking off people simply buying something because it's branded, much like Tiger electronics did with those awful handheld games in the 90's.

That being said, not ALL big, branded titles are bad. Look how awesome Dead Space for the iPad was. It's not fair to judge all games by their big brothers either, as some experiences simply will NOT translate to a mobile system. And that's ok, so long as the game they make instead is good on it's own right, branded or not.

Some companies will do justice and some won't. It's just a fact that needs to be accepted. We're here for the ones that will do us right. In the meantime, I don't mind other people buying terrible mobile versions of bigger games. If they want to be that silly, they can go ahead. Every purchase they make funds a bigger game I want to play down the line.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss