We need real medical apps for windows phone

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh, yes we do!

Unbound Medicine has done a good job bringing most of their medical apps to WP7, but we need more developers on board!

el_mono70

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely agree. I love this phone, but there is a serious dearth of medical apps available Unbound notwithstanding. When I first got this phone I emailed Lexicomp and Skyscape inquiring about potential support. Lexicomp said they would eventually - but there was some missing "component" to the software(wp7) that precluded their development at the time. Skyscape was a little more vague. I think that was 6 months ago(approx.). Still nothing. Here's hoping things change.
El Mono

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You have one built into WP7. its called a phone, where you can call your doctor and get help if you health is bothering you.LOL!

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely agree. I love this phone, but there is a serious dearth of medical apps available Unbound notwithstanding. When I first got this phone I emailed Lexicomp and Skyscape inquiring about potential support. Lexicomp said they would eventually - but there was some missing "component" to the software(wp7) that precluded their development at the time. Skyscape was a little more vague. I think that was 6 months ago(approx.). Still nothing. Here's hoping things change.
El Mono

I hope Mango brings availability of the APIs that Lexicomp and others need to develop their apps, then.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Popular ones, for example, MedScape or Epocrates have huge databases of diseases, how any one of them usually presents, how it's diagnosed, labs, common treatments, differential diagnosis, etc. Quite useful when you're trying to answer some difficult question you're being asked on rounds, when you're reviewing for morning reports or stuck on a patient. I've also seen attendings use them to learn about new treatment protocols or drugs.

I also know of some like the New England Journal of Medicine app, which would play nicely with my subscription to their online service, but I've only seen it on iOS. There's an app on Android and iOS that presents all the eponyms known to man, which is quite useful when you encounter a dark name you've never heard about.

I believe there are others that let you learn to interpret an EKG, an EEG, lab work, etc. Harrison's Internal Medicine book is available on WP7, so that is much better to carry around in your white coat than a full-blown edition or even the 'baby' Harrison.

Possibilities are endless.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You have one built into WP7. its called a phone, where you can call your doctor and get help if you health is bothering you.LOL!

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

LMAO! man your killing me ... you can also use bing to find hospitals ;)

--
@Enahs555

What do these medical apps do that you people want?
Just curious. Cause I can not think of a single actual useful thing.

*many things ,,

1. if your a doc or studding to be a Dr. this can help you as ref for medical reasons.
2. If your a curries little boy like me :p
3. if you need to find out if you should go wait 6hours in line att he hospital or if your gona be fine ;) ( if you ever had a wired RASH ;) lmao )

many more reasons.

Last edited:

drunkard

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I know the type of apps he's talking about. A lot of Doctors used Palm handhelds with apps like this for years until smartphones took over with the iPhone. WP7 does lack medical professional apps.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Medical apps are for medical professionals, as well as for lay people that are interested in medical information.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Mango is here, but I see no medical apps announced :(

Thinking of jumping the gun with Harrison's for my Focus... Starting my Internal Medicine rotation next week.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Tarascon Pharmacopeia for years. Started out with the WM version and after going to WP7, I switched over to the web version and just created a web tile that I have pinned to my front page screen. The nice thing about that is I can also access the TP account from any computer. I've been in contact with teh company and they tell me they are working on a WP version and have since stopped supporting the WM version from a few years ago.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm glad to report I've been making do with Internet Explorer and UpToDate online :D That's an excellent reference site and their mobile version makes it fast to load and easy to concentrate on the info at hand. Wish IE9 kept the find in page feature, would make it easier for us to look something up.

MajorLonghorn, Epocrates doesn't render quite as good on my Focus. Though I've just been able to try out the Drugs portion of their site, because I'm from outside U.S. and they don't like us over here.

Medscape, on the other hand, has a great mobile site that works amazingly well. It's another one I've been relying on heavily during my current rotation and it's fast to load and has big headers to navigate quickly.

kda2011

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
What do these medical apps do that you people want?
Just curious. Cause I can not think of a single actual useful thing.

I'm a firefighter/medic and I use it a lot to indentify medicines and dosages that I don't always see so often in the back of the truck, or if someone gives a Monday through Friday drug box and they have pills, you can use the apps to tell what the pill is by the shape, color and the writing on it. Most I know by heart, but sometimes you get odd ones. Sadly, I have to use my partners phone because Windows Phone 7 has absolutely nothing (except for UnBound) but I'm not paying that fee nor does my department.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the Medscape reference page pinned to my Start screen. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works.

kda2011

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Couldn't be anymore disappointed with Windows Phone as there still aren't solutions coming out that don't require a huge payout.

hospitalnp64

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
We need real medical apps like what iphone has

iHeart
iphone ECG
and so on
I could not agree more. I really like my phone, it is faster than my old iPhone and I like many of the features. However, it is not going to be my phone much longer if medical apps are not available by this summer as I cannot continue to go without these apps for my job. Epocrates says they wont make an app for Windows phone. I use Davis drug guide but need much, much more to give the functionality I need in the hospital caring for patients. Please help and quick!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)