Any Verizon WP7 announced yet?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So since Verizon is owned partially by Vodafone, I've noticed they all share the same WP7 phone (Trophy). I think that if we see a phone come to Vodafone there's a strong chance it'll be coming to Verizon too.

Hmmm, I'll have to keep an eye on that. I'm not expecting much of a response, but sent Verizon an email, as a possible future customer, if they will get a WP7 w/ LTE.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday I was toying with replacing my original Droid with the Trophy. Went online, the phone was going to be $99.99 with a two year extension on my primary line (have a family plan). Decided to hold off. Today it's $49.99. Amazon is currently selling it for $0.01 with a new contract. My thoughts:

1) Everyone put it on sale just because.
2) Verizon really wants to abandon WP7 completely and is trying to unload Trophys.
3) Verizon is clearing them out to make way for a better device.

Of course, I'm hoping for #3 as I'd really like better hardware than the Trophy (although it does have great reviews). Annoys me to no end that Verizon has such a limited selection (i.e., one) of WP7 devices.

My youngest is in a worse boat than me, though, as we won't buy a 14 year old a smartphone and the selection of non-smartphones is completely lame.

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So yesterday I was toying with replacing my original Droid with the Trophy. Went online, the phone was going to be $99.99 with a two year extension on my primary line (have a family plan). Decided to hold off. Today it's $49.99. Amazon is currently selling it for $0.01 with a new contract. My thoughts:

2) Verizon really wants to abandon WP7 completely and is trying to unload Trophys.

Of course, I'm hoping for #3 as I'd really like better hardware than the Trophy (although it does have great reviews). Annoys me to no end that Verizon has such a limited selection (i.e., one) of WP7 devices.

My youngest is in a worse boat than me, though, as we won't buy a 14 year old a smartphone and the selection of non-smartphones is completely lame.

I'm hoping you're right on #3 and I think Microsoft may have a thing for Verizon and possibly vice versa. When WP7 was first coming out they gave away Trophys on the network to developers. Also, MS sought out VZW for the Kin debacle. I think we'll see more WP7s and the Trophy clearout is more than likely a sign that it's going to be replaced.

I also heard that Verizon may be allowing anyone who has an upgrade between now and May 2012 to upgrade before the end of the year. Granted, iPhone 4S/5 is coming plus word of new Ice Cream Sandwich androids, but I'm also betting that new WP phones are also going to be available, so as to not favor one OS over another.

Candide yams

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Oh and lets not forget about Verizon and xbox teaming up! Nothing says "lets make more money" like finding a way to make people stream their tv shows to your phone!

I think WP7 may make a splash on Verizon soon enough.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

It's not the first time Verizon's lowered the price. See http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-trophy/179661.htm and http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-trophy/180569.htm. I'm REALLY holding my breath that this time, it will be a sell off of inventory while awaiting the arrival of the second generation of WP7 phones on Verizon. Fingers crossed!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
We haven't even heard of a leaked Verizon device. That brings little hope to me. Verizon has earned a reputation of keeping phones in purgatory a good few months before releasing them. Either way, they have until Nov. 27th before I'll (begrudgingly) ditch Big Red. I can always hope, though, can't I?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
We haven't even heard of a leaked Verizon device. That brings little hope to me. Verizon has earned a reputation of keeping phones in purgatory a good few months before releasing them. Either way, they have until Nov. 27th before I'll (begrudgingly) ditch Big Red. I can always hope, though, can't I?

Ah, your contract ends on my birthday/anniversary!

Your not making me happy. I want WP7 on V and don't think the Trophy cuts it for my needs.

Oh, and still no response from V on the email I sent... I'd have expected at least a boiler plate response by now. One where they neither confirm nor deny new WP7 devices, but leave the door open.

Last edited:

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Ah, your contract ends on my birthday/anniversary!

Your not making me happy. I want WP7 on V and don't think the Trophy cuts it for my needs.

Oh, and still no response from V on the email I sent... I'd have expected at least a boiler plate response by now. One where they neither confirm nor deny new WP7 devices, but leave the door open.

Thanks for the info about the email and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one in this boat. I'm not sure how to take the lack of response, though. :(

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think Verizon is going a different direction. Driving around Chicago, I see Verizon billboards all over that say Verizon 4G LTE, twice as fast as AT&T. Tonight on TV I saw at least 6 Verizon commercials for the Droid Bionic. I think that is where their emphasis is, LTE & Android.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I think Verizon is going a different direction. Driving around Chicago, I see Verizon billboards all over that say Verizon 4G LTE, twice as fast as AT&T. Tonight on TV I saw at least 6 Verizon commercials for the Droid Bionic. I think that is where their emphasis is, LTE & Android.

I'd have to agree. There was an article earlier about the Verizon CEO saying that there would be a third major OS in the next year, but it is still unknown whether it will be WP, Bada, or BB. I bet Verizon is just going to stick with the top two until that third ecosystem emerges. However, Verizon could very well be the deciding factor between the three--or at least they could make the decision a lot faster by supporting WP... :)

Here's the link from WMPU: http://wmpoweruser.com/verizon-ceo-expects-microsoft-to-emerge-as-third-mobile-platform/

Last edited:

ranzabar

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
All you'll get in the mid-term out of Verizon is an HTC Trophy...which isn't a bad phone, far from it. But if they had a Radar on their radar, I'd wait. But you'll be waiting a long time.

Keep in mind that Verizon doesn't like WP7. They talk it down at all their stores. Go in and ask for one, see what happens.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
This is an interesting article: Verizon Chief: Windows Phone Will Beat RIM | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Makes me wonder if they expect MS to be victorious, will the start adding WP7's to their lineup? Maybe they made the statement *already having made* plans to shift away from RIM. In their store last weekend I saw that their selection of RIM phones was slim (still better than the lone WP7) but at least they had a few options.

And ranzabar, I've heard the stories of the discouragement from buying a WP7 although I haven't experienced it first hand. No reason to doubt it, though.

jlarms228

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

Hi all, first time poster here! I'm VERY much a fan of WP7 and will more than likely be upgrading to the Trophy on Sunday the 25th (as that will be the day the MI region I live in will 'fully' become VZW), but even today--ONE day before I will probably upgrade to the Trophy--I am still hoping that I'll find some snippet, some little hint of a possible new WP7 device on the VZW network that might cause me to reconsider my upgrade. I actually created this account to post an email I sent to Verizon regarding their poor selection of WP7 phones, in case anyone would be interested in their response.

My email to them:

"To Whom It May Concern,

I am an Alltel customer in the Central Michigan area that is about to be fully converted to Verizon as of the 25th of September (or at least this is what I've come to understand). You have a very impressive line-up of cell phones available, however I am concerned about your lack of selection of WP7 phones. Although WP7 is practically still in its infancy, I absolutely adore this mobile OS and cannot wait to use my upgrade to obtain a WP7 phone. While I wouldn't mind obtaining the HTC Trophy, I know this phone is not very high-end and if I'm going to use my upgrade on a phone that I will have for the next two years, I'd like to have more of a "hard-hitting" WP7 phone. This brings me to my question: Is there any information you can give me on any upcoming WP7 phones that you may be releasing? Even a hint, such as "If you like WP7, I wouldn't use your upgrade on the Trophy just yet...," etc.? I don't want to use my upgrade on the Trophy is there is something better, more high-end coming down the line - especially if it's coming out by the end of 2011. Thank you so much for any information you can share with me!

Sincerely,

[real name]"

That email was sent on September 12, and this was their response on the 14th:

"Dear [real name],

Good morning. I appreciate your enthusiasm on our current devices. There are some great phones to choose from. My name is Dana and I welcome the opportunity to assist you. I have heard great things on the HTC Trophy device. [Real name], I am unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met. You may also receive free e-mail updates as to when new products and services are available. To receive your free e-mail update, please click on the following link to view the "E-mail Updates" page of our website: email.vzwshop.com/servlet/website/ResponseFormOSPEJNlmhtLk_.2ef . There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Verizon Wireless is constantly improving the services, features, and wireless phones we offer to our customers for their communication needs.

I regret that I was unable to be more thorough regarding the release of any coming devices. We appreciate your interest in our Products and Services.

Sincerely,

Dana

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service"

"There are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network..." could be indicative of other WP7 devices, but who knows at this point. Hope this information is useful to somebody!

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post! Very insightful. If I was you i would waite AT LEAST until mango is released. Always a chance something will get announced when it is officially released. I have also been told to hold off if I can by someone who knows things. They didnt tell me why or anything but said if you can too hold off but none the less the trophy is a great phone. Good luck and welcome!

jlarms228

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the post! Very insightful. If I was you i would waite AT LEAST until mango is released. Always a chance something will get announced when it is officially released. I have also been told to hold off if I can by someone who knows things. They didnt tell me why or anything but said if you can too hold off but none the less the trophy is a great phone. Good luck and welcome!

Thank you much! I've been reading that the Trophy is a mere $.01 on Amazon.com, which is a huge steal in my opinion (and it's quite tempting when I consider its $199.99 price tag at the official Verizon store). If I *do* get the Trophy I know I'll get it either from the VZW website or from Amazon, which means I won't obtain my upgrade tomorrow as I had previously planned/hoped for.

BUT, I'm thinking about what you said Buckeyeballer, and that maybe I should wait until Mango's release. I don't want to upgrade to the Trophy--even though it is a great phone, I hear--only to realize that a much better, more high-end WP7 phone is announced possibly only weeks later. That would be a pretty sad day!

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
yes exactly, so just give it a few days...mango will be released and go from their. I am in the same exact boat as you. If i hear anything new il let ya know on this thread

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to find a cheap Trophy on ebay or something in hopes of using it until I can use my official upgrade on something better. No such luck thus far, though. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05