Dumb question... Show me you know the easy answer :)

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Hello. Simply, if you have a USB cable, and it connects to your phone (be it USB to mini-USB, or micro-USB, either or), is it data capable?

The scenario: I am trying to sync my WP7 (HTC Arrive) with a computer, and to no avail. It seems the PC, nor Zune software, are picking up my device. The phone is charging, the red charge light is on, through the cable, but no sync startup.

Once again, my question is, if you have a cable that connects to your PC via USB, could it be charge-only, and not data?

Or, why on earth is my Windows Phone not starting up syncing with the PC????? :confused:

Last edited:

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Yes, you there are some charge-only cables. Normal USB plugs have 4 pins (mini/micro USB have 5); 1 pin for voltage, 2 pins for data, and 1 pin for grounding. I believe charge-only USB plugs don't have or disable the 2 data pins.

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the informative answer "starblade876". I can see where if you look into the USB plug, the pins are small, but visible, and you can count them. But what in the world?!??! If there are data pins present, but they are really disabled... good grief.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea