So now Mango is here, time to crank up the games development

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
This is Shadowgun. It's a brand new iOS game that, despite its stunning looks, runs great on an iPhone 3GS - that's hardware older and slower than the oldest WP7 phone, and with a lower resolution screen:

Shadowgun Review | Touch Arcade

And this isn't even a great game - it has bugs and problems. But seriously, look at it. I can't think of anything on WP7 that comes close. In fact, I can't think of a decent TPS or FPS on WP7 at all. Why the heck isn't there a WP7 exclusive Gears of War game out? Why?

WP7 may not be the market share leader, but there are still over 2 million WP7 users. Sell just 1% of those users a game at ?3 and that's 60,000. I seriously can't understand it. With the xbox live integration, MS should be selling this as the gamer's phone of choice and pouring money into development - instead, everything goes to iOS first and then filters down to Android. And even Android has gamer-specific devices (and I've tried an Xperia Play, and it's horrible - but at least it exists). Where's the MS-backed top of the line xbox phone a la Google's Nexus S?

If there's one thing tempting me back to an iPhone, it's games. Not apps - there may be fewer, but there's some seriously good ones. Not hardware - sure, something a bit sexier and a higher-res screen would be nice, but it isn't a deal breaker. And certainly not the OS - Mango is seriously great and well on par with iOS and Android now. But as far as games go, we're YEARS behind and show no signs of catching up.

Thoughts?

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
iOS is the first choice for game development for a few reasons. First, the number of users. Second, the underlying hardware and screen resolutions are fairly consistent across iOS devices. But probably most important is that the iPad is such a great gaming platform. Shadowgun was made for the iPad, and iPhone users happen to benefit from that. When a WP7 or Win8 tablet comes to market, it should spur game development in the same way that the iPad has for iOS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
assassins creed and the harvest were great games and i am sure that there are more coming up now that mango is released. just be patient you will have what u want in due time

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa