Are these apps rendered OBSOLETE by Mango?

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Call me nuts, but I don't like having apps on my phone if they are superfluous and/or obsolete. For example, I have just uninstalled Shazam (free) since Bing music does the same thing. I've also finally said goodbye to A-to-B since Bings directions have been updated.

However, I'm about to uninstall Drive On, but I'm on the fence since Bing directions aren't exactly "hands-off" since I need to tap them to have them read out loud. (Does it at least beep when you get to the next direction or something? I haven't used it a lot yet.)

Anyway, these thoughts got me thinking - what other apps are now not worth having on my phone now that Mango is here?

• For example, do I need LG's Voice To Text? I don't think so, right? [EDIT: I decided to uninstall Voice to Text anyway, but now I'm having second thoughts since Mango allows voice to text for text but seemingly not for email. Am I correct in this observation? If I am, are they planning to bring voice to text for email as well in the future?]
  • How about scanning apps like QR Reader, Neo Reader, Tag Reader, and Scan Search? I know bing does some scanning, but does it do the kind of scanning that those 4 apps do? Which if any should I keep? [EDIT: I just opened Bing Vision and the instructions say to scan any barcode, qr code, microsoft tag, books, cd's and dvds, so I've uninstalled qr reader and microsoft tag reader. Now I'm just not sure about NeoReader and ScanSearch since I don't know if Bing Vision includes 2d barcodes when they say "barcodes" and I'm not sure what if anything scansearch does that bing can't do now - thoughts?]

I know I could always just reinstall them (especially since they were free apps) but that's a hassle I don't want to bother with if I can prevent myself from mistakenly uninstalling an app that isn't yet obsolete by Mango features.

So what are your thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Also, while I'm on the subject, I might as well open it up - what other apps out there are now not worth having now that Mango is here?

Last edited:

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Personally I would have held on to A-B since it is no longer available in the Marketplace, one of the few apps I miss from my past hard reset. I also dumped my QR readers and Shazam since they are duplicated now with the OS. People will be tempted to dump their Twitter and FB apps, but as it stands it is worth hanging on to them. It still seems that the baked in FB is treated as a 3rd party so some friends items may not show up (if their settings have it that way). The OS twitter lacks DM viewing and sending as well.

Curious to see what others add to the list of "useless apps" now as well.

MichaelBanning

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
Yeah don't get me wrong I LOVED A-TO-B, but I figure if I'm going to keep a navigation app I should keep one that is still active and updated. Not that Drive on is better or even good - I haven't used it in a while. Next time I go on any trip I'll test both Bing Directions and Drive On and see if I should uninstall that one too.

As somewhat of an update, I just opened Bing Vision and the instructions say to scan any barcode, qr code, microsoft tag, books, cd's and dvds, so I've uninstalled qr reader and microsoft tag reader. Now I'm just not sure about NeoReader and ScanSearch since I don't know if Bing Vision includes 2d barcodes when they say "barcodes" and I'm not sure what if anything scansearch does that bing can't do now - thoughts?

I also decided to uninstall Voice to Text since the only outstanding feature was voice to text twitter, and since twitter is implemented into the social hub now, I think that's taken care of too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo