So there is no good, Free Turn By Turn Navigation App?

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I looked, and I havent found any. Android was great because I could use the built in Google Navigation for free.

Shame really. This is one of my biggest issues with WP7 thus far, after just getting one, is the lack of apps, especially good free apps. There seem to be a lot that charge, and sure they have every right to, but coming from Andriod, its disappointing. You could find nearly anything for free AND they were good, well supported Apps.

With WP7, even many of the paid ones receive average reviews. Not many I see worth paying for, especially if they arent developed that well.

But back to my initial question. Is there a good free turn by turn navigation app? Im hoping I just didnt see it.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
This might not be what you're looking for, but if you're willing to unlock your device for 10 bucks using the Chevron Unlocker then you will probably be able to side load Nokia's Drive app once someone finds the means to do so (if they haven't already). Also, I would think that MS will eventually make the Maps app not require taps to proceed through its directions.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The Navigon was ok except for the glaring omission of full UK postcode support and a big download. The other is the turn by turn app it has more selective map downloads not sure about postcode support.

These are the only two reasonable navigation apps that have preinstalled maps that I know off.

for free you will just have to rely on the Bing maps

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Navigation is a bit disappointing with the WP7. I have also looked at a few of the marketplace applications, but haven't tried any.

Maybe when the Nokia phones come out, Nokia maps will be available in the marketplace.

My Nokia N8 is still my primary phone and Nokia Maps is outstanding.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty certain My HTC Arrive came with Telenav GPS Nav, free, and this does turn by turn spoken navigation. I don't need traffic updates as I don't travel that much anymore. But it's been great to use for finding new locations. Maybe its free through my carrier - Sprint?

It was on my palm pre too.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty certain My HTC Arrive came with Telenav GPS Nav, free, and this does turn by turn spoken navigation. I don't need traffic updates as I don't travel that much anymore. But it's been great to use for finding new locations. Maybe its free through my carrier - Sprint?

It was on my palm pre too.

Telenav is a really good navigation application. I had it on my Treo Pro and paid $99 a year to use it. I used it for 2years and it was well worth the $99 a year. If you have it for free through Sprint, that great!

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You can blame Nokia for all this really. The reason that Bing doesn't have proper turn by turn built in is because Navteq won't allow it. Navteq is owned by Nokia!

I thought part of the reason MS paid Nokia that boatload of money was to integrate their services into the OS. An easy way to start doing that would be to release Nokia Drive for everyone, but they're not doing that. It seems Nokia took that money and is keeping their services to themselves. Why did MS even bother?

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It needs me to tap to speak. For that reason (and because it's voice is teeny vs the phone call volume, and even more miniscule vs Music+Video), I still keep my Atrix 4G for long trips. :(

Boodev

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Orange UK offer a (free if your on the right plan) Sat Nav solution which is quite nice in the UK, although it has previously got confused if I took a wrong turn which was annoying. I think its based on Telenav, not 100% though.

As for other solutions, they will come in time. Hopefully Nokia Drive will come out on all phones eventually or something similar from Nokia/MS/Navteq.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss