Two types of Windows 8 tablet?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Interesting:

Will Windows 8 for ARM tablets cut the cord on desktop mode? -- Engadget

Can't say I'm hugely surprised by it if it comes to be true, but it does mean Windows 8 is getting a bit schizophrenic - ARM W8 tablets would basically be straight iPad competitors but not desktops in tablet form, and desktops/Intel tablets would have metro and the old-style desktop interface (and doubtless be more expensive, as you'd expect with the greater demand on hardware).

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
IMO, given all recent 10" ARM tablets launching are at 500usd.... and there are semi decent x86 tablets already avalible at that price.... unless if those 10" ARM tablets get cheap, fast, I don't see them outselling their full featured x86 counterparts (especially those with AMD's Z-01 APU onboard).

Though AMD's recent decision to drop all of their GloFo projects and go straight for TSMC only might prevent their next gen APU from launching in time :(

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a smart move. Because there are really two different kinds of customers.

1. The ones that want it all
2. The ones that just want quick on-the-go convenience

Even if they were the same price, there are pros and cons to each.

If you want it all:
Pros
Backwards compatible
More power
With a dock, can completely replace a laptop

Cons
Fans
Heat
Power consumption

If you just want quick on-the-go convenience
Pros
A single interface
A closed environment, so you don't have to worry about viruses
Decreased complexity. Your grandma could learn to use it
Increased battery life

Cons
No backward compatibility
Less power (though may not matter with Metro Style Apps)

I am also assuming that there will be minimum specs just like Windows Phone has. So any new slate running Windows 8 should be able to perform decently.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't think tablet users want desktop software, nor do I think those who need that software want to work on a tablet. It does make you wonder how MS will differentiate their tablets enough to entice people away from the iPad.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I honestly don't think tablet users want desktop software, nor do I think those who need that software want to work on a tablet. It does make you wonder how MS will differentiate their tablets enough to entice people away from the iPad.

I do. I think current tablets (iPad and Android) are a waste of money, because they do the exact same things that their phone counter parts do, just a bigger screen. If I'm going to spend $500+ on a tablet I want it to do more than just give me a bigger screen to watch Netflix or play Angry Birds.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I do. I think current tablets (iPad and Android) are a waste of money, because they do the exact same things that their phone counter parts do, just a bigger screen. If I'm going to spend $500+ on a tablet I want it to do more than just give me a bigger screen to watch Netflix or play Angry Birds.

I think its up to Intel and AMD to get their processors efficient and powerful enough to negate the need for ARM chips. As stated above, current gen tablets are going for $500, roughly. A current Windows 7 tablet will basically be the same as a Windows 8 tablet apart from running on lower power but more efficient and powerful CPU/GPUS's (along with a few more sensors) so should work out to be the same price but compared to current Windows tablets will actually be usable by the consumer & power user alike.

I'm not actually sure where ARM tablets are supposed to come in, unless its for the ultra cheap market, but if OEM's dont get greedy they should be able to price W8 tablets competitively next year.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think its up to Intel and AMD to get their processors efficient and powerful enough to negate the need for ARM chips. As stated above, current gen tablets are going for $500, roughly. A current Windows 7 tablet will basically be the same as a Windows 8 tablet apart from running on lower power but more efficient and powerful CPU/GPUS's (along with a few more sensors) so should work out to be the same price but compared to current Windows tablets will actually be usable by the consumer & power user alike.

I'm not actually sure where ARM tablets are supposed to come in, unless its for the ultra cheap market, but if OEM's dont get greedy they should be able to price W8 tablets competitively next year.
I doubt anyone but Apple will be able to successfully be Able to charge $500+ for a tablet ever again.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I doubt anyone but Apple will be able to successfully be Able to charge $500+ for a tablet ever again.

I disagree.

I think a lot of people will pay twice that much for an x86/x64 based slate. Why? Because it's a full computer. Just like some people buy $1500 laptops.

Though I do agree that it will be hard to sell an ARM based slate for over $500.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I think W8 will be able to do this, no doubt. iPads are not needs, but wants (granted it is wanted by many). Not everyone who owns a PC or Mac has an iPad. But everyone has either a Windows or OSX.

Give me a 10"-12", W8 tablet, and bundle it with a bluetooth KB. Now I got me a tablet (want) and full PC with keyboard (need) for work or travel. I'll gladly pay $500+ for that any day.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Though I do agree that it will be hard to sell an ARM based slate for over $500.

I agree. I just don't see any use for ARM slates when you can currently buy W7 latops for under $500. I'm sure they will be selling W8s at the same price point ranges.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
A huge chunk of people who have desktop/laptops, never use anything but the browser and media software. These are the folks Apple has very successfully marketed the iPad to. Those who want to do more, with portability, will buy laptops/ultralights/netbooks.
I actually hope you're right, I'd love to see MS build a better tablet, but I don't think there's a market for it. Time will tell. The sooner we see windows 8 the better!

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Maybe everyone is trying to look at W8 as an iPad killer. It will not be an iPad killer. People who buy an iPad will still buy a W8. But not the other way around. W8 will outsell the iPad, but will not kill it. I'll let the pic do talking:

mspad.jpg

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Is that one of the BUILD tablets or just the samsung series 7 retail one?

I'm pretty sure that's the one MS handed out to people when they announced W8 earlier this year, because that is when that pic first surfaced. I just can't remember which blog I got it from. IIRC it was a Samsung.

manelscout4life

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's the one MS handed out to people when they announced W8 earlier this year, because that is when that pic first surfaced. I just can't remember which blog I got it from. IIRC it was a Samsung.

O I thought it was yours, I've been looking to buy one. Samsung sells these now but I'm looking for the BUILD version.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm thinking I want to wait till they release W8, because then there will be more OEMs releasing tablets. Therefore, more competition, which should lower prices a bit.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The current slates don't have all the sensors that the W8 slates will have. So it's a good idea to wait.

The Samsung handed out at BUILD is a modified version of their W7 slate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo