My quest for the perfect Twitter app

bcasteel

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey all WPCentral users!

I'm coming to you with a conundrum.

I have 2 twitter accounts: one for my hobbies, and one that I use professionally, talking about work, family etc. Obviously, I also have a Windows Phone (a Samsung Focus S, actually). I also had an HTC Arrive, so I've been with WP7 a little longer than some people.

I'm a pretty big twitterhead, and also somewhat involved in Facebook. I've got one of my twitter accounts and my Facebook account connected through the People Hub, though I primarily filter out only one at a time, which I find inefficient.

Anyways, long story short: including the People Hub, I've pretty much tried every twitter app out there: MoTweets, Rowi, Birdsong, Mehdoh, Seesmic, the official Twitter app... I'm sure I've loaded up more, too. Of them, I've been the most enthusiastic about Rowi and Seesmic. I prefer Rowi because of its excellent Live Tile, but Seesmic does the best job of helping me manage all of my social accounts.

So, my question to you is twofold: first, do you know of ANY plans for Seesmic to update their WP7 app? I mean, the live tiles for Seesmic are IMHO atrocious, I don't understand at all how they're supposed to work. Also, Seesmic doesn't autocomplete usernames or hashtags, which is really disappointing. (I know Rowi's working on adding cloud sync and separate accounts, but that's been a long time coming and might not be implemented for a long time yet.)

The second part of my question is, what twitter app do you use, and why? And if you use the People Hub, how do you manage Facebook news feed against twitter news feed?

Thanks all,
bccasteel

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Welcome along to WPCentral bcasteel. :)

We have a long thread with various thoughts on all the various twitter clients, you might like to have a wee lookie through it and see what you can find to help you decide.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-apps/177712.htm

I'm sure the various Twitter client users will pop in soon with their thoughts for you. :)

I've tried them all and still prefer the official twitter client.

Many of ther clients offer more features, but I still keep returning to the official client. :)

bcasteel

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Welcome along to WPCentral bcasteel. :)

We have a long thread with various thoughts on all the various twitter clients, you might like to have a wee lookie through it and see what you can find to help you decide.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/marketplace-apps/177712.htm

I'm sure the various Twitter client users will pop in soon with their thoughts for you. :)

I've tried them all and still prefer the official twitter client.

Many of ther clients offer more features, but I still keep returning to the official client. :)
Thanks for pointing this out to me! I'll check it out.

Hopefully, someone knows something about the Seesmic app too?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
If I had to guess, no update in the near future coming from seesmic.

I use rowi and mehdoh... Rowi because it just works. Mehdoh, I've been trying to like it, but not sure what (for my needs) the benefits of having it are. The official client for WP is the only official that I never use of all the platforms.

Sent from my 3G iPad 2 using Tapatalk

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't post a lot to twitter, but I do post there enough. My question would be, what does the official app or a 3rd party app have over what Mango natively does with Twitter with its integration?

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't post a lot to twitter, but I do post there enough. My question would be, what does the official app or a 3rd party app have over what Mango natively does with Twitter with its integration?

With the integrated twitter you cannot receive DMs though the Me tile. You could set them up to come via txt message but that is a clumsy workaround. Also I have numerous hashtag searches set up in Rowi that can't be performed through the People Hub or Me tile. For most users I could see the integrated Twitter being fine, but I use DMs and want to look through searches way too much that it is worth it to me to pay for a solid 3rd party app.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I currently use Rowi. But I'm eagerly anticipating Carbon. There's also a new app called Tweet It! I haven't tried that yet though.

baylorbear134

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I used to use rowi, then used motweets. I'm currently using the official app because it definitely loads tweets the fastest. However, im eagerly awaiting carbon...its been awaiting marketplace approval for like 3 days now.

dunder911

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. Used carbon on webos and loved it. High hopes that once it comes out it will blow anything else out of the water. I am using rowi lite for the time being and people hi for quick timeline views

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

kingp

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I personally like Mehdoh the best, and I've used almost all of the Twitter apps (including official one) for the platform.

It makes me sad that the developer behind Mehdoh is stopping development on it. Apparently he is frustrated with the backend APIs, as well as a few other things. Still it's a good app and I hate to see it go.

I know, just from the limited amount of dev time I have put into the 3 apps that I have, app submission and updates (especially for bugfixes) is WAAAAAAAY too long. MS really needs to get a better handle on the app submission/update process.

Contrast this with Android Market, which lets you submit apps and updates immediately. I'm not saying that MS needs to go this route, but there is no reason an app update should take longer than 24 hours to be approved and placed in the Marketplace (just as a reference, it took MS almost a full week to approve a minor update to one of my apps).

Either way, I think this is the growing sentiment towards developing for the WP7 platform. MS needs to address these issues and fix them, if they want to keep the indie devs (which bring the bulk of volume to ANY mobile eco-system).

steveymacjr

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
My opinion of Seesmic is this, it's free, and has no ads..and it gets the job done for me(mango/Fast App Switching being key)... in order for me to consider an app that is paid OR has ads, it has to be 100x better than Seesmic..

hexstudio

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've used rowi for a couple of days , mehdoh, moTweets and the app that worked best for me is official twitter app. I'm more of a reader than tweeting-kind of person so I don't care about live tile / notifications about private messages etc and official twitter loads messages the fastest.

But the I tried Twit It! and it's great. I love some additional features like "in bed mode". And it looks gorgeous :)

crystinonfire

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the paid Rowi app so far & like it a lot (minus the jerky scrolling). I'm trying out Birdsong right now, though, because it's lets you come back to the app without reloading (and losing your spot) when multi-tasking.

crystinonfire

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I switched back to Rowi after trying out Birdsong and Mehdoh. I like how you dont' have to click out of the tweet into a browser to see a linked image.

plus, pic.twitter.com links don't work in birdsong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb