Lack of business apps, like for SFDC, is painful

pkon

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Windows phones for a long long time. Although at first I wasn't planning to get a Win 7 phone, the great OS won me over and so I have one now. And I'm unfortunately discovering what the "lack of apps" really means.

So if I want to find a little app to track mileage, expenses, be a stop watch, I can find those. Fine.

But if I want an app to access Salesforce.com, I'm out of luck. They have an iphone/ipad version (of course) and the Android version is in beta.

If I want to use my enterprise time tracking software (TimeTTracker) that syncs with my desktop, and that ended WP support with WP 6.5, too bad. They are hard at work on their first iphone and android versions, though.

If I want to use the full-powered to-do list tracking software (My Life Organized) that I already own, and that worked through to WP 6.5, no dice. He's done with WP phone until it has better market share. The best alternative is RTM, which is OK but a far cry from MLO. MLO does have recently released iphone and android versions.

5pmweb is another. I could go on. Do you see a theme here?

It seems to me that if Microsoft is really serious about being a player in the marketplace, they ought to be going to companies like Salesforce and FOOTING THE BILL to create the damned WP7 SFDC app. It doesn't even have to do everything--just give me a good set of views into my SFDC. Get 'em started.

Instead we get no telegraphing of what's coming, and what looks like a "hang back and wait, talk up the platform and the tools" strategy. So there might never be a SFDC app then? Microsoft is waiting for SFDC to get around to it, although WP7's market share is tiny right now? Chicken and egg. I'm sick of it. Microsoft, step up and make things happen.

So although I love the non-app aspect of my WP7 phone, the lack of a story on KEY BUSINESS APPS is making me rethink my choice, and consider an Android phone. (which is a road I'd rather not go down, but may not have a choice.)

Microsoft keeps talking about marketing dollars--screw that, jump start the availability of critical business apps! If they said "here are the 10 business apps that we need to support, here's what has been built already, here's the plan to get the rest built," that would go a long way.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Windows phones for a long long time. Although at first I wasn't planning to get a Win 7 phone, the great OS won me over and so I have one now. And I'm unfortunately discovering what the "lack of apps" really means.

So if I want to find a little app to track mileage, expenses, be a stop watch, I can find those. Fine.

But if I want an app to access Salesforce.com, I'm out of luck. They have an iphone/ipad version (of course) and the Android version is in beta.

If I want to use my enterprise time tracking software (TimeTTracker) that syncs with my desktop, and that ended WP support with WP 6.5, too bad. They are hard at work on their first iphone and android versions, though.

If I want to use the full-powered to-do list tracking software (My Life Organized) that I already own, and that worked through to WP 6.5, no dice. He's done with WP phone until it has better market share. The best alternative is RTM, which is OK but a far cry from MLO. MLO does have recently released iphone and android versions.

It seems to me that if Microsoft is really serious about being a player in the marketplace, they ought to be going to companies like Salesforce and FOOTING THE BILL to create the damned WP7 SFDC app. It doesn't even have to do everything--just give me a good set of views into my SFDC. Get 'em started.

Instead we get no telegraphing of what's coming, and what looks like a "hang back and wait, talk up the platform and the tools" strategy. So there might never be a SFDC app then? Microsoft is waiting for SFDC to get around to it, although WP7's market share is tiny right now? Chicken and egg. I'm sick of it. Microsoft, step up and make things happen.

So although I love the non-app aspect of my WP7 phone, the lack of a story on KEY BUSINESS APPS is making me rethink my choice, and consider an Android phone. (which is a road I'd rather not go down, but may not have a choice.)

Microsoft keeps talking about marketing dollars--screw that, jump start the availability of critical business apps! If they said "here are the 10 business apps that we need to support, here's what has been built already, here's the plan to get the rest built," that would go a long way.

Sorry at the end of the day WP 7.5 isn't meant as a business phone and unfortunatley those apps aren't available yet maybe by the end of the year. If you really need business apps and love your WP i would suggest picking up a iPad or Android tablet as a companion and use your phone for communication purposes.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
And hence the reason the Windows Phone/Mobile market share drops every month. For every new WP user, they lose 1.5 WM users, possibly forever. I agree with the OP. While WP might have been conceived to attract the mainstream younger generation, there are lots of people who actually work for a living, and some of these apps become essential. Just picked up Mobile Fax two weeks ago. May not use it often, but nice to know I can.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Gadgety

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
WP has the POTENTIAL to be the #1 business phone, with the highest security, as well as excellent integration with Windows PCs. Lack of PRACTICAL and USEFUL apps, such as MyLifeOrganized is really hurting WP uptake. At the same time, the developers are holding back until uptake is higher so it's a vicious circle.

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry at the end of the day WP 7.5 isn't meant as a business phone

What does that mean exactly?

The Apple was meant to be a business phone? - It only came of age when it got EAS before that it obviously was never a business phone. Today is it a business phone?

The Android was that meant to be a business phone? It was in a better position than Apple not sure I would describe it as a business phone.

The Blackberry was that meant to be a business phone? When talking email on the move and for absolute control the BlackBerry was definately a business phone. Still it was never going to compete with Apple and Android for apps.

Bizarely I can provide a better case of WP7 being a business phone than I can for both Android and Apple. It has EAS, It has Office and it has SharePoint baked in.

Windows mobile a business phone? The WM was probable more business than the lot of em which is why it still is seen a lot today. I have yet to sign for my shopping on an Android or Apple device.

I find it strange when people say things like its not a business phone especially when comparing to Apple and Android.

The App store will grow yes I think I agree with the OP that Microsoft should target apps for delivery to the Marketplace but then again I thought they were already doing this and maybe SFDC is coming maybe not.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

Pkon MS are working with partners through their app accelerate program to do just that. On a side note if you need a specific Salesforce app for your company I can put you in touch with people that would be happy to create one for you.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I understand the frustration, developers don't grow on trees. Its all well and good saying Microsoft should throw money at every single app developer, but have the companies got the spare developers to do the work? How long does it take to recruit and train them?

Thad not forgetting the fact WP has to start making money at some point. If Microsoft can only get apps by paying for them, why bother wth the os at all? Surely its just a money pit?

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok,

I read the title and couldn't read the Original post. Sorry, but I was watching Windows Weekly (Paul Thurrot and Mary Jo foley's show) and they said one Windows Phone major update(early 2014) will be completely for business , enterprise including VPN support etc ... I suggest you watch it once, I couldn't make much sense of it though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)