WP on Verizon?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
So, you don't like using wifi? May I ask why you choose to not ever use wifi? I can understand perhaps not needing it as much with LTE but, never turning wifi on at all seems a bit extreme considering that using wifi doesn't cost you anything extra (so long as you stick with free wifi).

Because LTE doesn't cost me anything, it's unlimited for me until whenever Verizon takes it away. And it's much faster than wifi. I can pretty routinely get 30+mbps on LTE, while my house DSL is 1.5mbps. There's simply no reason to use wifi ever if you have unlimited LTE.
It's sort of amazing what you can do with your phone when you're no longer shackled to 3G. I was skeptical, but Verizon's LTE is awesome.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
So, you don't like using wifi? May I ask why you choose to not ever use wifi? I can understand perhaps not needing it as much with LTE but, never turning wifi on at all seems a bit extreme considering that using wifi doesn't cost you anything extra (so long as you stick with free wifi).

why use wifi if you are paying for unlimited data? I mean if you like paying for something and not using it then go ahead but for me if I am paying for it I am going to use it and not give verizon any breaks since they do not cut any for their customers. I am not a super heavy data user like some( I use anywhere from 2-3 gb a month) but for me having to change from cellular data to wifi when I have unlimited data just isn't worth it IMO.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
why use wifi if you are paying for unlimited data? I mean if you like paying for something and not using it then go ahead but for me if I am paying for it I am going to use it and not give verizon any breaks since they do not cut any for their customers.

Dont they CAP you on unlimited data? meaning your speeds get reduced? making wifi worth it after XX amount of data. or is that AT&T only?

Also WIFI is often faster then your current data speeds. ( not all the time depending on your DSL / fiber optic connection)

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Dont they CAP you on unlimited data? meaning your speeds get reduced? making wifi worth it after XX amount of data. or is that AT&T only?

Also WIFI is often faster then your current data speeds. ( not all the time depending on your DSL / fiber optic connection)

No, Verizon does not throttle LTE. I could use 100 gigs a month if I wanted to.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why people think shared data will increase their plans pricing. Shared minutes and shared texting make your bill cheaper. Follow the logic people.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand why people think shared data will increase their plans pricing. Shared minutes and shared texting make your bill cheaper. Follow the logic people.

I agree that for two people on a family plan paying $30 a month on each line for data a shared data plan should be cheaper. I'm not clear on how it will affect pricing on the plan I have, but I guess we will know more in the next few months.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

How do you know this? Have they announced the plans and prices yet? The reason they're offering shared data is not to make your bill cheaper, it's to encourage people to get multiple devices that are data enabled (like tablets).

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
No, Verizon does not throttle LTE. I could use 100 gigs a month if I wanted to.

ahhhh... now THAT is interesting... I will say that I find myself wondering how long it will be before they do change that policy but, so long as they are giving you truly unlimited LTE data then it does make sense to use it as much as possible/necessary. Enjoy!

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
ahhhh... now THAT is interesting... I will say that I find myself wondering how long it will be before they do change that policy but, so long as they are giving you truly unlimited LTE data then it does make sense to use it as much as possible/necessary. Enjoy!

It's not actually clear they legally can throttle LTE--they agreed to some pretty strict openness terms when the purchased the spectrum from the FCC at auction, which includes not throttling and not restricting tethering apps. The license states Verizon, "shall not deny, limit or restrict the ability of their customers to use the devices and applications of their choice."
Enforcing it of course is the trick.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
How do you know this? Have they announced the plans and prices yet? The reason they're offering shared data is not to make your bill cheaper, it's to encourage people to get multiple devices that are data enabled (like tablets).

Obviously it's not to save people money, but if it follows the same loose idea of shared minutes and shared texting than it will save money at the cost of allowance (I.e. sharing 700 minutes is much cheaper than having two 450 minute plans)

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

No cap, some people have been capped but that was after using a ton of data. My speeds have never been capped and I am on unlimited.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Obviously it's not to save people money, but if it follows the same loose idea of shared minutes and shared texting than it will save money at the cost of allowance (I.e. sharing 700 minutes is much cheaper than having two 450 minute plans)

Verizon isn't going to save anyone but themselves money. Most likely it will be similar priced to individual data plans with minimal gb so they can get people with overages. If verizon wanted to help people they would make no overages and do what tmo does where they slow your data down but that would take away from the already ridiculously high profit they make so they won't do that.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
That's the problem with becoming such a large company. Once you become so profitable you can't go back even if you want to. Verizon could genuinely want to lower their plans down to 50$ unlimited everything but shareholders would bail.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
That's the problem with becoming such a large company. Once you become so profitable you can't go back even if you want to. Verizon could genuinely want to lower their plans down to 50$ unlimited everything but shareholders would bail.

If they wanted to they could do it. They would not lose any money and most likely would actually gain customers which makes them more money. Has nothing to do with the share holders.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Do what? Maybe I don't understand your comment. If you're on Verizon, grandfathered into the old "unlimited" plan, it is "unlimited" up to 5gb, then they start charging you overage charges for anything over the 5gb.

That's wrong....there are no overage charges for the unlimited plan. They do allow throttling for heavy users on congested towers but not the same as AT&T where after a certain amount you get throttled for the rest of the billing period.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
If they wanted to they could do it. They would not lose any money and most likely would actually gain customers which makes them more money. Has nothing to do with the share holders.

Shareholders control the company. Do that, and the board of directors and anyone appointed by them is OUT to be replaced by someone who will rake us over the coals as much as possible.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
That's wrong....there are no overage charges for the unlimited plan.

OK, just talked with VZW. psiu is correct. The 5gb limit is only limited to the mobile hotspot. I have a Palm Pre Plus that I use sometimes and I went over on my daily allowance. The VZW rep I talked with was wonderful in helping explain the differences in our web (phone) allowance and hotspot allowance. What was an eye-opening explanation for me was that our "unlimited" plan is really "unlimited"!! Lookout Netflix, time to burn through some batteries!!

Last edited:

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
abusing the unlimited plans is the reason why there will be no more unlimited plan for everyone else...

and soon all of us who are grandfathered will no longer get it, believe that. regardless of whether or not you take an upgrade... soo there will be no more unlimited data

thats like going to a buffett and eating all the food because it is all you can eat... remember it is all you can eat, not you eat all

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
abusing the unlimited plans is the reason why there will be no more unlimited plan for everyone else...

and soon all of us who are grandfathered will no longer get it, believe that. regardless of whether or not you take an upgrade... soo there will be no more unlimited data

thats like going to a buffett and eating all the food because it is all you can eat... remember it is all you can eat, not you eat all

Haha! When I was about 10, I went to a buffet with my grandparents. My grandma went back for a third plate and I told her, "It's all you can eat, not you can eat it all!" jokingly, of course. My family still laughs about that.

Anyway...

I'm pretty bummed about losing unlimited data. If they are going to end "unlimited", they should at least give us a pretty high number, like 5gb/mo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss