App to chat with BlackBerry user

Heavy Fluid

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I just made the move from BlackBerry to an HTC Trophy, and was talking to a friend who is in Canada. He has a BlackBerry, so we used BlackBerry Messenger. He has Canada to US unlimited SMS. I do not however. Is there an app or something that will let us still be able to text/message/whatever aside from email?

TIA

TheDoros

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I believe Whatsapp is available on both platforms and is very similar to bbm. Or you could use kik which is similar.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express

Heavy Fluid

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Do either of those use text messages? I don't believe kik is available for the BlackBerry any longer. He really doesn't use any third party apps, so I was trying to avoid that. If that is what it comes down to, then he will have to use one.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Do either of those use text messages? I don't believe kik is available for the BlackBerry any longer. He really doesn't use any third party apps, so I was trying to avoid that. If that is what it comes down to, then he will have to use one.

Whatsapp doesn't use SMS texting, but uses its own version of texting. You have to pay for the app but the texting is free. It's great, I use it to text to my iphone and android friends

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Kim is still available for BB. I use it on mine. You have to download it directly from the website. It's not in App World anymore. It works fine.

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Skype for texting and voice chat.
OctroTalk will let you chat with Gchat people or people using a Gchat client on BB.
I think there's one other as well, but can't think of it off the top of my head.

DanielCeleste

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Like the others said, I'd recommend kik because it is free on all platforms (literally an smartphone platform you can think of), unlike WhatsApp. It also has more users and is more reliable. kik.com or m.kik.com to download on any device.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
WhatsApp is what I use to chat with BB, iOS and Android users. It is free for the first year, and then it only costs $0.99.

I like it, since it uses data, not texting. I also have some friends in Canada.

It is also nice, since it allows picture and location sharing.

Plus, it allows one to create a group of up to 10 users. I am essentially back in a group that had consisted the same folks from one of my BBM groups.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster