Where are the Medical Apps??

Qaaf

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I hope this is the right place to pose this question, but it is actually more like an appeal to the developer community.

I am a medical professional and have been using WP for sometime, but have been very frustrated with the lack of of good medical Apps. Previously, I had Windows Mobile, which was doing the job well, but then switched to Android that had plenty of resources as well. I almost got an iPhone right before I stumbled on WP.

I understand the WP shares are minimal when compared to Apple/Android, but the community is definitely growing. I don't understand why there aren't many medical Apps or why there isn't much interest. I have searched and been searching Marketplace regularly hoping for a 'miracle', but to no avail.

There are few Apps, MPR (Montly Presribing Refrence) is one to name, but it is very limited in what it offers (Only Drugs). There are few other ones, but they too are very limited.

Attempts have been made to contact Epocrates, Skyscape and few others, but the response has been very mute.

I am writing this in hope to bring this 'crisis' to someone's attention. Please help us help you.

Thanks.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
YES...this is something I also noticed and was planning to post it here. Seriously there are not a lot of Science/Medical apps on Windows Phone as compared to the iOS platform....something which should be lookded at.

shlomo80

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, we've got the iOS juggernaut - and let's face it, no other phone has a versatile and reasonably consistent dock. OTG is not a substitute. I really never understood why only Dell took up PDMI - which appears to be a viable universal dock system.

Why bother when the iPhone does everything better for now ironically for professional applications? Better manageability, better connectivity and a huge ecosystem.

This is Microsoft's real problem. You'll run out of money if you try and bribe every major app writer in every field and there's currently no compelling reason for any of these guys to write WP7 apps over iOS.

Now, MS funding a disruptive business in those fields using WP tech = something different, but they've no track record in that respect.

Tens of different handsets isn't an ecosystem. They really need to start hammering out some standard for third party device connectivity as well as shoring up security and manageability on the platform - well, they needed to do it when WP7 was released - but enterprises and medical community might be slightly friendlier towards WP8/W8, though they really need to sort out the basics.

AzD

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Medical pros would be best off going to iOS/Apple right now, for the apps and the hardware. Until Win8/WP takes off, it is always going to be a losing battle when it comes to medical apps. The iPad really is driving that niche.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Medical pros would be best off going to iOS/Apple right now, for the apps and the hardware. Until Win8/WP takes off, it is always going to be a losing battle when it comes to medical apps. The iPad really is driving that niche.

But I love Windows Phone, don't wanna move to iOS. They have everything, all the science apps but not my favorite OS. Guess I have to wait till they come to my platform.

Sent from my HTC HD7 using Board Express

tazaman

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I remember when it took some time for Epocrates to finally design an ipod version. Once this comes to windows phone I am pretty sure I will buy one as well.

Also a must have is the MedCalc program which has all of the essential medical equations.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I am a medical professional as well, and I have a Galaxy Tab 7.7 that I use at work. It's not as portable as a phone, but it is more portable than an iPad.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This too is one of those things I ask the providers themselves about every few months to hopefully keep it on their radar. I know, for me, Tarascon was a program I used daily on my WinMo PDA and later my WinMo Smartphone and felt lost after moving to WP7. I correspond with them about every 5-8 months to ask about any update on a WP7/8 version of the app and they continue to only say it is in the works but no set time for release is given. they have always been very helpful and up front about their developments and when I had issues, they were very quick to work with me to figure it out and "debug" the program. With their latest replies, however, I've really not gotten the impression they are even looking at it as an option for a future app.

I do use there subscription via the web access and have a live tile configured on my phone that is always on so I have immediate access to their information.

Most medical app manufacturers just do not see Windows as a viable and beneficial OS right now. Perhaps, once they gain a better market share, they will get another look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99