Would you buy a 5.3 inch Windows Phone (like the Galaxy Note?)

Banstyle

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Lately I feel like my WP7 is more of a gaming device than a phone so yes I would lean more towards a bigger screen and would be pretty comfortable with that.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I would. If it was exactly like Note, with the pen and everything, then yes yes yes yes yes. In fact, if it was announced today to be released as a WP8 launch device, then I'd probably go put my preorder in this afternoon.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
not a chance!

4'5-4'7 inch MAX... :giggle:

I want a phone and a tablet . not 2 tablets with one having a RADIO in it... lol

Well, when your eyesight starts to get a little bad, like mine has over the past few years, you really appreciate bigger text/screen. And I've used a Galaxy Note and Dell Streak - both are thin and light enough that they can be pocketed and used pretty easily. The problem comes when you try to put cases on them or use them while walking. That's when you realize they're maybe too big.

But I'd sacrifice cases/walking use to get HUGE tiles and text and the ability to write myself notes.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my HTC TITAN and am buying into HTC's tablet range to get the stylus functionality. Hope they come out with a 7" one with Jelly Bean on it (I prefer having Android on my tablet).

But to put it plainly, no, I have no interest. I struggle enough with my HTC TITAN and hope I can downsize next time round (hopefully 4") while still having GPS, FFC, and digital compass. Btw, my next phone will most likely be Windows Phone anyway.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
To quote the late Jimmy Castor, "what we're gonna do is go back into time, way back". I don't understand the whole screen size discussion. Back when HTC released the Athena on WM6, people complained till the cows came home about having a device so big. That was a 5" screen and you needed headsets or bluetooth because it was too big to hold to your head. Then came the Android Ideos with a 7" screen and the same argument doomed that device as well. Lo and behold, here we are back at 5.3" screens and the Note is being touted as better than sliced bread. Let's go back in time again shall we? In '07, I believe, Celio released the Redfly Companion for use with WinMo 6 & 6.1 devices to have a larger screen and keyboard available whenever it was needed and negating the need for a laptop. That device was panned also. Before that, Palm was supposed to release the Foleo as a companion device for Palm OS phones, that one never even made it to production.

Will someone PLEASE make up their minds? Do we want large screen phones or not? If not, can we have companion devices for those odd times that we would prefer a larger screen without having to deal with tethering our data and pissing off the carriers? My head is spinning. :lol:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my HTC TITAN and am buying into HTC's tablet range to get the stylus functionality. Hope they come out with a 7" one with Jelly Bean on it (I prefer having Android on my tablet).

But to put it plainly, no, I have no interest. I struggle enough with my HTC TITAN and hope I can downsize next time round (hopefully 4") while still having GPS, FFC, and digital compass. Btw, my next phone will most likely be Windows Phone anyway.
Stylus????? I can't believe people are clamoring for a stylus again. What's next, resistive screens? I find it hilarious because I still keep a WinMo device and I get so much grief about having to use a stylus. Nothing beats note-taking with either a WinMo Letter Recognizer or Palm OS Graffiti.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I like my Titan, but I would prefer it to be 4.5" and a little slimmer. I recently put my SIM card back into my Motorola Atrix to see how it felt, and it seemed too small at 4". My wife's iPhone, at 3.5", is absolutely too small for me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that the trend toward larger devices again has more to do with desire for screen size for viewing video, playing games, browsing the web, with the ability to make occasional phone calls. Data usage is definitely eclipsing voice usage. Even when I had a small BlackBerry 9700, I rarely used it for phone calls. The phone is the feature I use the least on any smartphone. Then again, I never liked talking on the phone, even in the days of landlines; I always considered phone calls to be an annoying nuisance.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that the trend toward larger devices again has more to do with desire for screen size for viewing video, playing games, browsing the web, with the ability to make occasional phone calls. Data usage is definitely eclipsing voice usage. Even when I had a small BlackBerry 9700, I rarely used it for phone calls. The phone is the feature I use the least on any smartphone. Then again, I never liked talking on the phone, even in the days of landlines; I always considered phone calls to be an annoying nuisance.
So you suggest we bring back the Enfora CF GSM module to plug into a tablet whenever we need to make a phone call? LOL.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So you suggest we bring back the Enfora CF GSM module to plug into a tablet whenever we need to make a phone call? LOL.

We get it dude, you've been using mobile devices and technology since the early 1800's and know everything there is to know about everything ever made.

You know what's great about today's market? There's choice. You want a 3.5" WP7 phone, you can get that. You want a 4.7" WP7 phone, you've got that too. I don't see the problem with having lots of variety. There may be someone out there who would only want to carry a tablet and plug in a GSM module to make a phone call. If there's a market for it, manufacturers will make it. Who are you to judge?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
We get it dude, you've been using mobile devices and technology since the early 1800's and know everything there is to know about everything ever made.

You know what's great about today's market? There's choice. You want a 3.5" WP7 phone, you can get that. You want a 4.7" WP7 phone, you've got that too. I don't see the problem with having lots of variety. There may be someone out there who would only want to carry a tablet and plug in a GSM module to make a phone call. If there's a market for it, manufacturers will make it. Who are you to judge?
Who's judging? I'm just wondering why technology that was laughed at just a few years ago is being regarded as the cat's meow today. I'm all about choice but it seems as if every time the prevailing winds of tastes change, we're all stuck with the flavor of the month. You got me all wrong, I WANT choices. I mention all these devices from the past because it sucks they're no longer around. Maybe some of the younger members here don't know they ever existed and think it's not possible. Technology is not a fashion item and shouldn't be dictated by what's "cool" this season.

Speedysloth

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I don't think so, I'm looking at WP7.5 handsets at the moment (contract's up next month) and I have even been put off by the bulkiness of the Lumia 900 and Titan2, something as big as a note would be far too big to fit in a pocket comfortably. While I suppose it would have it's uses for some people, I'd personally rather a smaller WPhone to be a phone, having the facility for some occasional net access, and a decent sized WPad for when I want a proper net session.

I do love the irony in producers spending years making the top phones smaller, thinner and lighter only to turn around and say "sod it, lets get big again!"

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Stylus????? I can't believe people are clamoring for a stylus again. What's next, resistive screens? I find it hilarious because I still keep a WinMo device and I get so much grief about having to use a stylus. Nothing beats note-taking with either a WinMo Letter Recognizer or Palm OS Graffiti.

Resistive screens to me are the worst of both active and capacitive screens. Lack of accuracy of the capacitive, the lack of multitouch with an active digitizer, etc. I prefer the Active/Capacitive dual-digitizers, like those found on the Flyer or Galaxy Note (but a phablet doesn't interest me). And I have done quite a bit of graphics design, have 2 graphics tablets too, so that's what drove me to want a tablet with a stylus. I just didn't know they existed until about a year or two ago... and then HTC came out with the Flyer.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Resistive screens to me are the worst of both active and capacitive screens. Lack of accuracy of the capacitive, the lack of multitouch with an active digitizer, etc. I prefer the Active/Capacitive dual-digitizers, like those found on the Flyer or Galaxy Note (but a phablet doesn't interest me). And I have done quite a bit of graphics design, have 2 graphics tablets too, so that's what drove me to want a tablet with a stylus. I just didn't know they existed until about a year or two ago... and then HTC came out with the Flyer.
I was being extremely sarcastic with the resistive screen bit. When capacitive screens first came out with the iPhone and HD2, the stylus became persona non grata and now they're back in vogue. I guess leisure suits will be back again sometime in the next few years.

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Or, similarly, a Windows 8 phone in that form factor? I have read rumors of Samsung and Nokia about a "hybrid device" and I am hoping that is what they are talking about. I am rocking a Samsung Focus right now, and used to have a Titan (screen shattered). That Titan gave me a taste of what I am really looking for, and I'm super attracted to the Galaxy Note and hoping that with Apollo we might get a device this size.
In a flash as long as it fits in my pocket I'll pull the trigger :blush: well you see The bigger the better more so it has extra hardware on board

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb