PureView on Windows Phone?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone out there sumarize any real details on possibly when Nokia's PureView technology will be added to their upcoming WP devices? Or at least when we can hear some news on that front?

I know it was stated that it would become available, but nothing more.

I'm more and more impressed with my wife's Lumia, but because I'm such a camera fanatic, I've been sticking with my N8, whose camera is still unmatched IMO, but lacks in many other areas.

I see all the cool stuff on WP that I'm missing out on, and I'm dying for a new phone but have no idea until when I have to wait.

(I know, first world problems - big time. But I find it so curious that it was announced some time ago, and there has been absolutely ZERO news recently)

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone out there sumarize any real details on possibly when Nokia's PureView technology will be added to their upcoming WP devices? Or at least when we can hear some news on that front?

I know it was stated that it would become available, but nothing more.

I'm more and more impressed with my wife's Lumia, but because I'm such a camera fanatic, I've been sticking with my N8, whose camera is still unmatched IMO, but lacks in many other areas.

I see all the cool stuff on WP that I'm missing out on, and I'm dying for a new phone but have no idea until when I have to wait.

(I know, first world problems - big time. But I find it so curious that it was announced some time ago, and there has been absolutely ZERO news recently)

It has receantly been confirmed that PureView comes to Windows Phone. But really it was clear from the start. Like Nokia's camera guru Damian Dinning said on the release of Nokia 808 PureView when asked about Windows Phone PureView device "do you think we would launch technology developed for 5 years that involved 450 people just for it to make appearance on one device? That's all i can say".

Only thing i fear is how long it will take. PureView needs very customized hardware with own chip even inside the camera sensor just to make that 41MP even possible. Custom isn't really the word to descripe Windows Phone and that's before they get the hardware to WP and then do the software work for the Nokia developed algorithms. I doubt there's any possibility for first wave WP8 PureView phones.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I disagree. Why wouldn't they make it a priority? Win8-WP8 is a big release for MS and why not kick it off with a Pureview Lumia HD? The tech is already produced...I imagine it would be easier to transfer it to newer hardware than it was to create the tech in the first place. I'm not saying it will be the first phone out of the gates...but why not 3 months or less afterwards? I bet you see it in ads as soon as WP8 phones are released.

Who else has this hardware? Why wouldnt you get this out asap or at least build interest asap?

P.S. I don't claim to know what I'm talking about...its purely conversational :p

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I thought the comment on the link I provided emphasized a problem for the implementation of PureView: the big bulge it creates on the back of the phone and the fact that everyone's obsessed with how thin their devices are. So until Nokia manages to miniaturize the technology, we'll either get a watered down version of it or that protruding lens. Well, that's how I understand it, I may be wrong.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I hear you...I certainly wouldn't mind the bulge...as long as the rest of the phone was worth it. I would not upgrade to a Pureview if the rest of the hardware was basically and L900. But if it had HD screen dual core etc...I wont care about the bulge.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I hear you...I certainly wouldn't mind the bulge...as long as the rest of the phone was worth it. I would not upgrade to a Pureview if the rest of the hardware was basically and L900. But if it had HD screen dual core etc...I wont care about the bulge.

Yeah I wouldn't care either. I actually like that it's different, but I'm sure the vast majority of smartphone user wouldn't, and that's what counts. Nokia isn't going to introduce a flagship WP with a protruding Pureview lens if they can't sell it.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Btw here's some normal users who have taken pictures on 808 PureView that went on sale last week at certain countries around the world. Just unbelievable.
7183519993_3628073305.jpg

8mp purrview close-up mode
Flickr: sheridan01's Photostream
7365962082_460c54c199.jpg

Flickr: sheridan01's Photostream

Via Can you believe these photos where taken by a mobile phone? (Nokia 808 PureView edition) | nokiagadgets.com

I disagree. Why wouldn't they make it a priority? Win8-WP8 is a big release for MS and why not kick it off with a Pureview Lumia HD? The tech is already produced...I imagine it would be easier to transfer it to newer hardware than it was to create the tech in the first place. I'm not saying it will be the first phone out of the gates...but why not 3 months or less afterwards? I bet you see it in ads as soon as WP8 phones are released.

Who else has this hardware? Why wouldnt you get this out asap or at least build interest asap?

P.S. I don't claim to know what I'm talking about...its purely conversational :p

I really, really hope you are right. Because lets say 22MP PureView "light" on a high specced big screened HD Windows Phone would be exactly what Nokia and Microsoft need on the launch of first Apollo phones.
I'm just skeptical they can make all that happen as first wave Apollo phones seem to be build for one SoC in mind. Can Nokia make the PureView tech work on it? MSM8960 by Qualcomm is more than likely going to be found from every first gen WP8 device, it supports cameras up to 20MP.

Like i said Nokia had highly customized hardware (with it's old friends that are not partners on Windows Phone, like Broadcom, Texas instruments and Toshiba) on 808 PureView paired with a OS they own and can do whatever they want. Can they get all that aligned for the first wave devices? I remain skeptical, just hope it wont take too long.
Nokia's execs and bosses just haven't seemed to be hyping PureView on WP too much yet. More likes comments that we will see PureView on WP "someday"

Last edited:

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
The pure view technology is independent of the number of pixels. Meaning that 8mp and 12mp can be pure view as well not just 41mp. Creating thin lumias with pureview, Right?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Does the 808 use a BSI sensor? That matters alot more than MP count...
Does it matter when it can take shots like that in that lighting? :D
I would imagine it has BSI sensor thinking it's the successor of N8 that had it and like most of the other Nokia high end phones.
No idea why they did what they did on Windows Phones. :(

The pure view technology is independent of the number of pixels. Meaning that 8mp and 12mp can be pure view as well not just 41mp. Creating thin lumias with pureview, Right?

Sure 12MP could be PureView, but you lose pretty much all of the benefits with lossless zooming and binning/oversampling the pictures. My guess is that the "light" version would be in the 18-22MP range.

Windows Winner

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Apollo and Nokia with PureView technology - one small step for man - one giant leap for mankind - IMHO.

Now if only Microsoft could get Neil Armstrong to promote Windows 8 Phone - WOW.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
One issue with that concept phone: practicality. Are you going to just carry it in your hand 24/7? Cuz it ain't going into your pocket, that's for damn sure.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
One issue with that concept phone: practicality. Are you going to just carry it in your hand 24/7? Cuz it ain't going into your pocket, that's for damn sure.

Idk, the side view looks bulky at the ends but thin in the middle. I'd have to feel one in my hand to truly pass judgement, but it doesn't look too big to me.

Edit: plus it's not a standard slab. Most phones you see in the wild, you have to ask or wait till a person goes to the home screen to tell what OS it has because they all look the same. That phone is unique, you could see one across a room and either A) know what it is. Or B) be curious as to what it is.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
There's no way it's going in your pocket comfortably regardless of size. It comes to 2 sharp edges with a massive concave between... I would prefer it to retain the styling of the 808.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It could conform, sideways, to your leg... How my iCrap sits in my pocket now.

Actually, it may not be much bigger than an iPhone. Aspect ratio differences and all.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

The hardware wouldn't be the hard part. With PureView, Nokia owned the OS. They could do whatever they wanted. With WP, Nokia is limited to what MS can do. But, Nokia has know about PureView from the start of this relationship, and I can only assume Microsoft has too. It's going to happen, but maybe not this year.

Those specs match up with what we now know for WP8, pretty much, right? Sound's possible. Hopefully we will see Nokia Lumia PureView (or Nokia Lumia pv900) this year, but I doubt it for above reasons.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte