Who would buy a matching "Surface Phone"?

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the no camp.

As Microsoft already tightly control the OS, i can't see there would be any software advantage to owning a complete Microsoft phone, all you'd do is lose the extra stuff you get from Nokia, HTC, etc.

Microsoft also tightly control the chipsets that WP runs on, so i can't imagine you'd see anything revolutionary hardware wise.

Personally i'd be much more interested in a Microsoft virtual carrier. So Microsoft use some other companies network, but they control the packages, the phone subsidies, the updates etc. Its certainly possible in the UK, where companies like Tesco already do it.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally i'd be much more interested in a Microsoft virtual carrier. So Microsoft use some other companies network, but they control the packages, the phone subsidies, the updates etc. Its certainly possible in the UK, where companies like Tesco already do it.

That's a very interesting thought.

But it might wander dangerously into unfair monopoly territory maybe. At least as far as communication governing bodies are concerned.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Can you imagine if Microsoft came up with its own line of "Surface" phones? I'd love to see someone come up with such a concept.

Would it be something interesting to you guys? Do you think that, just like the Surface, a Microsoft made phone would give an incentive for manufacturers to come up with better products?

Well look at you predicting the future and stuff..............:)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope this is really, a great phone so those disappointing first wave of WP8 devices won't repeat again.

No more half-bake devices, no more Android hand me downs, no more of the same thing. Time to take Windows Phone seriously, give me a device that runs miles around the Android phones.

Leave them in the dust.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Only if Microsoft gave me something better than Nokia's OIS. Like some sort of badarse Kinect style magic that captures images better than the 920.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to match the specs in the lumia 920 to sway me at this point.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
....But it might wander dangerously into unfair monopoly territory maybe. At least as far as communication governing bodies are concerned.

That's a very good point. I just read an article the other day about Microsoft being hammered in European court over some issues.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it would be nice to have the same device on all carriers. Samsung, HTC, Nokia, etc are not going to do it. ****, MS could use it as advertising. Sell the devices for much less markup than the likes of Apple who seems to sell the phones to carriers at practically no discount off retail price.

Well HTC might do it...they promised 150 carriers in 50 countries for the 8X and 8S. Hopefully most or all of those carriers will be getting the 8X instead of the attractive-but-entry-level-spec 8S.

As I see it, the problem with the Lumia 920 is carrier availability, and the problem with the 8S is that it's more of an upper-midrange phone (comparable to the HTC One S) than a true flagship (comparable to the HTC One X). Samsung and Apple both sell a true flagship phone on just about every carrier...WP8 needs the same, and neither HTC nor Nokia seem poised to do so.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So now that this is a viable possibility, I stand by my decision to go with a Lumia 920, however... if the Surface Phone does come to exist, I would give it serious consideration if the specs are decent.

However, as presented in the so-called renders, I would NOT buy it. It's way too iPhone-like in appearance, and there IS a reason beyond it being Apple that I won't buy one.

I'm really curious to learn more about it, though...

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't buy one because I already love my Nokia and everything Nokia does for their customers but if it was updated directly by MS w/o carrier intervention I would at least think about it. I also think if they came out with a Hires 4"ish very iPhone like phone they may hit a pretty good market. Nokia phones are large, HTC phones are nice but there is something to be said for a nice thin, light, well built aluminum phone like the iPhone that could attract a lot of people.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
If it's like Google and their Nexus, I would seriously consider it. It would have the best tools MS can put in, and no carriers should interrupt any updates MS may release. I would If the price hovers around the mid $300's, Microsoft may have a great product. Then again, their last phone endeavor didn't do well...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro