Would you get one of htc's rumoured devices. Or wait for Nokia?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I really think that the htc zenith is a good device with quad-core.(supports 64 cores). But would rather wait for a Sammy device or a Nokia of course. So what do you think of the htc devices or should you rather get a Nokia or Sammy phone?

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I would wait and see what everyone is offering (on AT&T at least) when I am ready to purchase a new phone, which will probably be on launch day because I have a tech problem.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm skeptical if Nokia could play the specs game. If Nokia can come up with a Snapdragon quad core in a timely matter, I might bite.

With Nokia's support of NovaThor SoC, however, I fear it will fall the fate of Sony. NovaThor is seriously behind in technological terms and the reason why Sony Xperia offerings are so slow and lackluster.

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm skeptical if Nokia could play the specs game. If Nokia can come up with a Snapdragon quad core in a timely matter, I might bite.

With Nokia's support of NovaThor SoC, however, I fear it will fall the fate of Sony. NovaThor is seriously behind in technological terms and the reason why Sony Xperia offerings are so slow and lackluster.

It's kind of a double edged word. Nokia partnerships with chip manufacturer and making custom hardware is why it has been able to bring PureView, PentaBand, rich recording etc to it's Symbian phones, but not compatible with Qualcomm offering.

Nokia and Qualcomm don't exactly have great history between the two. Nokia when it was dominant in smartphones and on phones general it sidelined Qualcomm and was in very lengthy legal battle while it kept working with TI like it had done since they brought OMAP2 first to the masses together.

That said that Nokia NovaThor thing isn't going to happen for long time (and likely only on the mid end devices). ST-Ericsson seems to talk a lot, but the message seems to be different from Nokia and MS since the start and recently on the WP8 summit.
I would love to see TI making chips for WP, don't let Nvidia anywhere near WP8. ;)

Last edited:

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've been an HTC user for 12 years or more now in one manner or another. It's not that I'm brand loyal, it's just what I was using, since the days of the HTC built HP iPAQ PDAs, to my Dell Axim x51v and my last WM phone a TP2 via Sprint and now my Arrive. It's just worked out that way. I can say I've never had any trouble with them except for my TP2 and I guess I had NIB unit go bad after a couple of years and followed up by bad refurbs before they gave me an Arrive in it's place. So far, 1 year later, no problems with it.

HTC makes good devices. So do the others. My wife has a Samsung Epic 4g slider that she'll only give up if you pry it from her hands and get it passed her sharpened finger nails. I can't speak personally for Nokia, but other than the typical first adopter issues with hardware/software, I've really heard no ill remarks towards them either. they seem to have gone a long way, working with MS, to put together phones that work well.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've been an HTC user for 12 years or more now in one manner or another. It's not that I'm brand loyal, it's just what I was using, since the days of the HTC built HP iPAQ PDAs, to my Dell Axim x51v and my last WM phone a TP2 via Sprint and now my Arrive. It's just worked out that way. I can say I've never had any trouble with them except for my TP2 and I guess I had NIB unit go bad after a couple of years and followed up by bad refurbs before they gave me an Arrive in it's place. So far, 1 year later, no problems with it.

HTC makes good devices. So do the others. My wife has a Samsung Epic 4g slider that she'll only give up if you pry it from her hands and get it passed her sharpened finger nails. I can't speak personally for Nokia, but other than the typical first adopter issues with hardware/software, I've really heard no ill remarks towards them either. they seem to have gone a long way, working with MS, to put together phones that work well.

Spoken like someone who never had an HD7... Honestly, who puts a 1230mah battery in a phone with a screen over 4"?! Not to mention force closes, countless battery pulls and 3 hard resets in a year. I will N. E. V. E. R. buy another HTC device.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Spoken like someone who never had an HD7... Honestly, who puts a 1230mah battery in a phone with a screen over 4"?! Not to mention force closes, countless battery pulls and 3 hard resets in a year. I will N. E. V. E. R. buy another HTC device.

On the contrary, my experience with my HD7 has been great. I havent seen any battery issues or needed to hard reset the phone once. It's possible yours was part of a bad batch or it could just be the luck of the draw. Only reason I replaced it was because I accidently damaged it, so I picked up a Radar. I've gotta say, aside from the tinny ear peice, the Radar is a solid phone as well.

In regards to the OP, the Zenith sounds right up my alley. I dont share the concerns of others here about hand me downs. If the Zenith comes to T-Mobile and we dont see a solid device from Nokia, count me in.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I could probably say the same thing about my TP2 had it been my first and only HTC device. I got about 1 years worth out of it before I started having issues with it and then every refurb I was given was junk. I stayed with the TP2 because I was an old WM user for many years prior and had all of my programs I needed for work on that OS instead of making the jump to WP when it came out. After about a year, the microphone stopped working, then the GPS in the next device, then I had multiple units loose the screen touch ability. During that time I figured out work arounds for the lack of WP apps to coincide with my programs I relied on and finally made the switch to WP7 Arrive late last year. Had I not, I probably would have reverted back to using a cell phone and my Axim again as I had for so many years prior.

When/if, my cellular provider comes out with a newer device, I'll probably move on to it. Won't really matter what or who made it. Chances are pretty certain, I won't have much selection or choice in the matter.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
my two favorite windows phone brands are Nokia and HTC
but im going to pick Nokia for design and services and if i got the chance i will buy both :happy:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'll might get Nokia, they have timely updates and good support for the platform. I really want a thick pureview device also but I don't know. I wanted another LG phone :-( .

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
It all depends. I'm due for an upgrade in 2 weeks, but I surely won't upgrade now, but will wait until Windows 8 phone drops. Is Nokia going to have a Windows 8 phone at launch? I'd probably get a Samsung fun if Nokia decides to release another phone in like January though...

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I want a Nokia device utilizing a TI omap chip hopefully they can get the cortex a15 based chip out the door in time for a fall launch
Edit that would be the omap 5430 processor that I referenced earlier

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to get a Nokia if possible for the better bundled software and the better customer support (compare the Lumia 900's data problem with the Titan I's voice quality problem). But HTC has had much better cameras recently (comparing Lumia 900 and Titan II), and I like a good camera. So I'm not sure. I guess I'd wait for reviews of each.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the screen size that a manufacturer like Nokia offers. I want more options in the 3.5-4" range, personally. HTC just keeps getting bigger.

thebizz

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I like the direction HTC is moving towards but until they get rid of that top lock switch I can't own any of their devices with a 4.7 inch screen it is to uncomfortable for me so it's Nokia for me

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Other than Nokia, does any OEM give a %^&* about WP?

Samsung/HTC/etc all make their money from Android, and are no doubt only making WP devices, due to the lawsuits with Microsoft. Until WP gets traction against Android, nobody but Nokia will have any interest in WP.

The annoying thing, is Nokia may well go under, as a result of the WP7.8 fiasco, by the time WP8 comes out, they will have the grim reaper knocking at their front door.

I want to get a Nokia, especially if they can make a phone as gorgeous as the Lumia 900 but can't actually decide if its a good idea long term.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Other than Nokia, does any OEM give a %^&* about WP?

Samsung/HTC/etc all make their money from Android, and are no doubt only making WP devices, due to the lawsuits with Microsoft. Until WP gets traction against Android, nobody but Nokia will have any interest in WP.

The annoying thing, is Nokia may well go under, as a result of the WP7.8 fiasco, by the time WP8 comes out, they will have the grim reaper knocking at their front door.

I want to get a Nokia, especially if they can make a phone as gorgeous as the Lumia 900 but can't actually decide if its a good idea long term.

Samsung doesn't really care about Windows Phone. But HTC is pushing WP as far as it can. They do the best job of putting WP phones on every carrier (they're the only WP phones for Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular), and the Titan II pushes WP7 as far as the hardware limitations will let them go.

Remember HTC is losing money on its Android business. Samsung is kicking their butt financially. WP probably looks enticing to HTC right about now.

And if Nokia goes under, I'm sure Microsoft will release a Surface phone until other manufacturers show more interest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077