But nobody wants a Phon-let

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I get what your saying Socialcarpet but your kinda proving me right with this statement, "The next iPhone will have a bigger screen, for certain". You see it's already in motion and when more phon-let devices come out and iPhone & iPad sales start dropping, do you really think cRapple isn't going to follow the market? Once folks start using bigger devices they won't want to go back so resizing screens and/or squinting to watch video. Oh yeah all companies are in it for the money! Shareholders aren't going to be to happy to just let them design cool stuff that doesn't sell.

Fatclue_98 I'm on the "Maybe some day network!" so I don't think I can get a Pre2. Also, I'm not all that tech savy, I'm more of your average end user. I just want to take it out of the box and enjoy! :D But I do agree with you on the useability issue, I guess it really comes down to what your using the device for. I rarely use my tiny Pre with one hand, I find it inconvenient and always think I'm gonna drop it. Using my TouchPad just feels right ya know? Maybe those other super-sized phones you mentioned did work because they were a bit to ahead of there time? I mean look at all the stuff you can do with them now? Video, games, etc... I don't remember the phones so maybe you couldn't do that back then. I'm thinking the Samsung Note at 5.3" will be the entry level phon-let and then you'll have a 7" and the flagship 10" PadFone size. I don't think there will be a 12", that might be going a tad to far.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
This has turned into a fun, well spoken thread...

First off @ social carpet, allow me to say that with this post:

"People who understand Apple, understand that they care more about the whole package and the integrity of design. That's why it's unacceptable for them to put their OS on a computer they didn't design, that doesn't follow their standards, because they care about the entire experience, the whole package. This is the same reason Apple doesn't care about making a 5-6" phone. They aren't willing to sell out their design principles to grab a few more sales.

Apple is a design-driven company. Much like Braun or Bang and Olufsen.

Samsung is a revenue driven company. They don't care about design integrity beyond the point where it drives sales. That's why they don't do anything creative. They simple copy Apple's design language because they know it will drive sales. They don't have the integrity to care how ****ty Android runs with their awful skin running on top of it. They don't care if putting their Galaxy name on bottom-end cheap Android phones cheapens the brand. All they care about is selling as many phones as they can, so they will compromise all day long. Make phone out of the cheapest, shiniest plastic they can get away with etc."

I am surprised you were not verbally tarred and feathered. You DEFENDED the evil Apple Empire and slammed Sammy and got away with it!! I am STUNNED!!

But, I do not disagree with most of that post except for two minor points: Apple is a design driven company, no doubt, but they are profit per handset/computer/software company. They want they largest profit per unit sold where as Samsung, LG, and most other huge corporations are looking at profit due to numbers of units sold. Apple is riding a wave of loyal users, no doubt. It is because of their quality and well supported products. But they are also milking as much out of their reputation and each design and software life cycle as they can. It is a dangerous, thin line to walk. Another company did that. They named themselves RIM, and they are now showing some signs of faltering, in case you missed it. The US car industry also did the same thing through the 80's, and they found the market was unkind to them as well. Apple is really close to resting on it's successes. "Innovation" doesn't apply to either the 4 or 4S.

As for Sammy- do not discount their quality. Starting with the Galaxy series, it has been been amazing how much their products have been dependable and the top of the class. With ICS and Jelly Bean, Android has come a long way with their "buggy" performance, and touchwiz has always been a good skin to not bog down the performance. Sammy's lower end devices are crap, though, usually littering the "worst of" lists at the end of the year. That is where your flood the market sales comes from. But their high end efforts are amazingly good and desearve that nod.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I get what your saying Socialcarpet but your kinda proving me right with this statement, "The next iPhone will have a bigger screen, for certain". You see it's already in motion and when more phon-let devices come out and iPhone & iPad sales start dropping, do you really think cRapple isn't going to follow the market? Once folks start using bigger devices they won't want to go back so resizing screens and/or squinting to watch video. Oh yeah all companies are in it for the money! Shareholders aren't going to be to happy to just let them design cool stuff that doesn't sell.

You're missing my point.

Do you really think phones are just going to keep getting bigger and bigger with no end in sight? It's a little absurd. At what point do you think the size of a CELL phone which people carry around in the pockets becomes too big? From the way you write, it sounds like you don't. So a 7" phone would be OK then? How about 9"?

As far as iPhone and iPad sales dropping, I don't have any sales figures to reference, but I can assure you Apple's doing fine. Especially when you consider they can sell the **** out of the same model in the time that Samsung has to introduce 10 new models (and they still sell less than Apple)

No Android tablet is even remotely close to being competitive with the iPad. The Amazon Kindle is the only thing close, and it's a loss leader with crappy, laggy horrible performance.

Apple will definitely make an iPhone with a bigger screen, but no, they aren't going to make Galaxy Note sized iPhones and they will never have to. If you think that MOST people are every going to want a phone that big, then I'm sorry you're letting your own preferences cloud your judgement BIG TIME.

You can call Apple "crApple" all you want, but the smartphone landscape wouldn't be where it is right now without them. We'd have a field Blackberry-like devices. Android would be another Blackberry like device and Windows Phone would be Windows Mobile 7 and it would be just as convoluted as WM 6 was with a sloppy interface trying to do too many things and doing none of them well.

Mark my words. iPhone 5 will be introduced with a slightly bigger screen, probably 4-4.1" or so and it will sell like crazy. It's sales figures will stomp a big mud hole in the buttocks of ANY single Android phone models sales, just like it always does. In fact, the iPhone 4 and 4S will continue to outsell almost all the Android phone models individually for another year or two.

Samsung can bring out a 9" phone if they want, but most people aren't going that route. MOST PEOPLE CARRY THEIR PHONES IN THEIR POCKETS AND THEY AREN'T ALL GOING TO BUY CARGO PANTS SO THEY CAN HAVE 6-7-9" PHONES. If you think they will, you're retarded.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think phones are just going to keep getting bigger and bigger with no end in sight? It's a little absurd. At what point do you think the size of a CELL phone which people carry around in the pockets becomes too big? From the way you write, it sounds like you don't. So a 7" phone would be OK then? How about 9"?

No. I said the 5" Note would be the entry level size then you'd have a 7" version and the flagship 10". 10 inches is the optimal size, anything bigger would be going to far I think. Also, unless your age ends in "teen" why would you be carrying a phone in your pocket? That's what cases are for.

As far as iPhone and iPad sales dropping, I don't have any sales figures to reference, but I can assure you Apple's doing fine. Especially when you consider they can sell the **** out of the same model in the time that Samsung has to introduce 10 new models (and they still sell less than Apple)

My point was simply once people get try a phon-let they won't go back and cRapple will add phone guts to the iFad... er Pad.

No Android tablet is even remotely close to being competitive with the iPad. The Amazon Kindle is the only thing close, and it's a loss leader with crappy, laggy horrible performance.

The only thing I hate less than cRapple is Hemroid but I'm leaning to trying it if I can get a useful device. And it looks like I can!!! :D PadFone is coming to the USA!

Apple will definitely make an iPhone with a bigger screen, but no, they aren't going to make Galaxy Note sized iPhones and they will never have to. If you think that MOST people are every going to want a phone that big, then I'm sorry you're letting your own preferences cloud your judgement BIG TIME.

Now if you say they only want to do there own thing why make one with a bigger screen? It's because the market is moving that way and they have to adjust or get left behind. You can make whatever beautiful designs you want but if it isn't what the comsumer wants then they won't buy it. It's really that simple ya know? I've read many comments about how awesome Nokia's designs are but look at the trouble there in now.

You can call Apple "crApple" all you want, but the smartphone landscape wouldn't be where it is right now without them. We'd have a field Blackberry-like devices. Android would be another Blackberry like device and Windows Phone would be Windows Mobile 7 and it would be just as convoluted as WM 6 was with a sloppy interface trying to do too many things and doing none of them well.

I'll give cRapple props they sell boatloads of those fugly devices but let's not get carried away with it.

Mark my words. iPhone 5 will be introduced with a slightly bigger screen, probably 4-4.1" or so and it will sell like crazy. It's sales figures will stomp a big mud hole in the buttocks of ANY single Android phone models sales, just like it always does. In fact, the iPhone 4 and 4S will continue to outsell almost all the Android phone models individually for another year or two.

Again... Why is that screen bigger? Because people wanted bigger and they will respond.

Samsung can bring out a 9" phone if they want, but most people aren't going that route. MOST PEOPLE CARRY THEIR PHONES IN THEIR POCKETS AND THEY AREN'T ALL GOING TO BUY CARGO PANTS SO THEY CAN HAVE 6-7-9" PHONES. If you think they will, you're retarded.

We shall see who will be riding in that little yellow bus bucko! :straight:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
No. I said the 5" Note would be the entry level size then you'd have a 7" version and the flagship 10". 10 inches is the optimal size, anything bigger would be going to far I think. Also, unless your age ends in "teen" why would you be carrying a phone in your pocket? That's what cases are for.

Where am I supposed to carry my phone then? In my hand all the time?

And I think it'd look stupid holding up a 10" device to your face to have a phone call. Now you could use a Bluetooth device, but then there are two problems with that:

You either look like you're talking to yourself.

Or someone else thinks you're trying to have a conversation with them when you're actually having a conversation with someone on the phone.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
:straight:
Where am I supposed to carry my phone then? In my hand all the time?

And I think it'd look stupid holding up a 10" device to your face to have a phone call. Now you could use a Bluetooth device, but then there are two problems with that:

You either look like you're talking to yourself.

Or someone else thinks you're trying to have a conversation with them when you're actually having a conversation with someone on the phone.

Well a phon-let will need to go in your back pack, purse or whatever bag your carrying and if your not then yes, you would hold it in your hand. Assuming your a guy why would you want that thing radiating your junk? Not to mention the vibrations when it rings... unless your into that sort of thing. (wink! wink! nudge! nudge! say no more) ;)

Bluetooth earpieces have been around long enough to where people are used to seeing it and know your on the phone. Nothing really odd about it now is there? :straight:

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Like a lot of people, I don't want to have to carry my phone in my hand at all times and would not like a phone that would not fit in my pocket. With that said, I had a Galaxy S III for a week and a half and I was surprised at how small it seemed to be in my pocket. That leads me to believe that the design of the phone will be the determining factor for me. I swore that I didn't want a phone larger than 4.3" (based on the Droid X) but found that both the Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S III provided substantially more real estate in only a slightly larger package. I do believe that 5.3"+ would be too large for me personally but there's nothing wrong with having the option if I change my mind.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think they're going to be extremely niche for at least the next 4-5 yrs.

After that, we might see flexible screens. When that happens, who knows? Maybe you'll be able to manually adjust the size of your screen by pulling it out of your device to the desired size.

I guess thats why the Note is selling like hotcakes and Samsungs coming out soon with the note 2 because its a niche device like the IpHone!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
:straight:

Well a phon-let will need to go in your back pack, purse or whatever bag your carrying and if your not then yes, you would hold it in your hand. Assuming your a guy why would you want that thing radiating your junk? Not to mention the vibrations when it rings... unless your into that sort of thing. (wink! wink! nudge! nudge! say no more) ;)

Bluetooth earpieces have been around long enough to where people are used to seeing it and know your on the phone. Nothing really odd about it now is there? :straight:

I know several people who have the samsung Note and talk on it regularly and who have in a holster on their belt Its not that much larger than the titan II or the L900 and there are other androids in in 4.7 to 4.8 inch that are really close in size. I prefer to call them phablets.

mr_vpw

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
The Samsung Note has sold (what) 7 million already? That's a pretty big niche. I know two friends that have them, one about to get one (waiting to see what the new one does vs old one for cheap); contrast with knowing 2 people (inc myself) with Windows Phones (friend has the 900).

I think the Note has a place - yeah sure not everyone will want something that size and that's fair enough. However my use of a phone is mostly data and text, with phone calls right at the bottom of the ways I use it - so actually a slightly larger screen device makes sense to me in theory.

The reason I haven't gotten one? As it happens because my Atrix offers a good screen res in a smaller package - the Note would have to offer double the res to get my interest ... and I don't really like Samsung Android skinning (touchwiz?) ... but the principle of oversized phones ... there's mileage in that for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos