Samsung Rumor update....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
To those of us keeping Samsung open as a WP 8 option, the rumored Odyssey (which is a really, really cool name. Wish they would release it with that.) is now rumored to be a 4.8" screen as opposed to a 4.65". According to Sammobile it will be released under the Omnia name, which to me just means the European version. I am still betting on a Focus S follow up in the US, and I hope it ends up on more than just AT&T, but we will just have to see.

Samsung to bring the Windows Phone collection to 5 with 2 new Windows Phones | SamMobile

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
600 Euros?? That's like a lot of money...that too for Sammy...

*strikes out Samsung from the list*

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
600 Euros?? That's like a lot of money...that too for Sammy...

*strikes out Samsung from the list*

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
I agree. Hoping the price point is a more than a tad below what the GS 3 was. Need Sammy to be a little more competitive. WP is not as established as Android, can't quite ask top dollar yet.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Hoping the price point is a more than a tad below what the GS 3 was. Need Sammy to be a little more competitive. WP is not as established as Android, can't quite ask top dollar yet.

As far as I'm concerned, no Sammy phone should be more than 200$. IMHO.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Why would you expect it to be cheaper than the sgs 3 when the hardware is pretty much identical?

Cause as someone rightly mentioned here in some thread, WP8 is still growing and asking for such a price for an OS people aren't even aware of , is asking for a lil too much. And add to that Sammy's hardware. Cheap and plasticy... sorry guys..I know u will hate me..but that's my opinion. Sammy phones have no class and just look and feel cheap. My personal opinion again.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Why sell a device for less profit just because it has wp8 when they could sell you the exact same device running android for more? Seems silly when you consider that they have little vested interest in the success of WP and they pretty much are Android

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Why sell a device for less profit just because it has wp8 when they could sell you the exact same device running android for more? Seems silly when you consider that they have little vested interest in the success of WP and they pretty much are Android
There are at least 3 very, very solid reasons why Sammy should price this device to sell, even if they just break even or post a small loss:

1) Keep Nokia down. Nokia is not a new name. They are still a worldwide presence and a easy to identify product. They are less than a year or so from being the top device maker in the entire planet. They are STILL pushing out great feature phones (Asha series) and a huge threat in developing countries. If they start selling 46-50 million WP 8 devices a year, they become a global threat to Samsung's perch as top device maker. If Samsung prices this to sell and steals some of that Thunder, it is an investment. (Understand, Nokia fans, this is not my opinion, this is what I believe Samsung as a company should be thinking.)

2) Their relationship with Microsoft is really, really good. They put out very good Laptops, and will be happy to push those Laptops with W8. They will be among the first to put out Tablets with W8 (both RT and Pro versions). Why then would they not see the advantage of WP 8 handsets to take advantage of the ecosystem Microsoft wants to build? Why would they let Nokia or HTC take advantage of that by beating them to the punch or pricing themselves out of the game? Got this great Samsung Laptop at home, and this wonderful Samsung Tablet? LOVE Windows 8? Well, look here.... a nice high end WP 8 Sammy phone, priced to move. Just a good investment.

3) There may be a point where Android crashes, and becomes a bloated mess. There may be a point where Apple wins court cases. There may be a backlash in sales where the consumer just gets sick of grid icons and wants something different. WP still has a great chance to take off. A small investment in underselling the competition now may prove HUGE profits in a year or three. Microsoft has the money to see WP through to the end, while Blackberry, open sourced WebOS, and the MeeGo re-start up may not. Tizen is being partly finance by Sammy, but WP is cheaper and has a HUGE ecosystem (cross platform, app development, cloud storage) already behind it.

Cheap investment. Android sales will make up any loses in what, about 15 minutes??

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
There are at least 3 very, very solid reasons why Sammy should price this device to sell, even if they just break even or post a small loss:

1) Keep Nokia down. Nokia is not a new name. They are still a worldwide presence and a easy to identify product. They are less than a year or so from being the top device maker in the entire planet. They are STILL pushing out great feature phones (Asha series) and a huge threat in developing countries. If they start selling 46-50 million WP 8 devices a year, they become a global threat to Samsung's perch as top device maker. If Samsung prices this to sell and steals some of that Thunder, it is an investment. (Understand, Nokia fans, this is not my opinion, this is what I believe Samsung as a company should be thinking.)

2) Their relationship with Microsoft is really, really good. They put out very good Laptops, and will be happy to push those Laptops with W8. They will be among the first to put out Tablets with W8 (both RT and Pro versions). Why then would they not see the advantage of WP 8 handsets to take advantage of the ecosystem Microsoft wants to build? Why would they let Nokia or HTC take advantage of that by beating them to the punch or pricing themselves out of the game? Got this great Samsung Laptop at home, and this wonderful Samsung Tablet? LOVE Windows 8? Well, look here.... a nice high end WP 8 Sammy phone, priced to move. Just a good investment.

3) There may be a point where Android crashes, and becomes a bloated mess. There may be a point where Apple wins court cases. There may be a backlash in sales where the consumer just gets sick of grid icons and wants something different. WP still has a great chance to take off. A small investment in underselling the competition now may prove HUGE profits in a year or three. Microsoft has the money to see WP through to the end, while Blackberry, open sourced WebOS, and the MeeGo re-start up may not. Tizen is being partly finance by Sammy, but WP is cheaper and has a HUGE ecosystem (cross platform, app development, cloud storage) already behind it.

Cheap investment. Android sales will make up any loses in what, about 15 minutes??

1. People were saying that the devices should be cheaper because they are running WP. For what you're suggesting, they just need to competitive with other WP OEMs. That said, by the time the WP platform is capable of pushing 46-50 million units, Samsung, HTC, and others will obviously have more of an interest in it than they do now. Pricing is a fairly simple thing to change if they need to react. In the short term, there is no point in undercutting their own devices in the market.

2. I guess, but those are different divisions of Samsung. Going with the same OEM for all of your devices doesn't really gain you that much either, as long as you're in the same ecosystem.

3. I semi-agree with this, but I kind of feel that a successful WP ecosystem is of more harm than good to Samsung. Samsung IS Android right now, there is no other OEM close to touching them. They can't be Windows Phone, Microsoft has way too many restrictions in place for them to compete with a company like Nokia who has significant services that can be added to the phone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
1. People were saying that the devices should be cheaper because they are running WP. For what you're suggesting, they just need to competitive with other WP OEMs. That said, by the time the WP platform is capable of pushing 46-50 million units, Samsung, HTC, and others will obviously have more of an interest in it than they do now. Pricing is a fairly simple thing to change if they need to react. In the short term, there is no point in undercutting their own devices in the market.

2. I guess, but those are different divisions of Samsung. Going with the same OEM for all of your devices doesn't really gain you that much either, as long as you're in the same ecosystem.

3. I semi-agree with this, but I kind of feel that a successful WP ecosystem is of more harm than good to Samsung. Samsung IS Android right now, there is no other OEM close to touching them. They can't be Windows Phone, Microsoft has way too many restrictions in place for them to compete with a company like Nokia who has significant services that can be added to the phone.
1). My point is that they need to be competitive with other WP manufacturers. Nokia has already shown they are ready to price low. If Samsung is interested in being top dawg in WP like they are in Android, than they have to be competitive with Nokia.

2). I understand it is different divisions. But, does Ford not care if Lincoln is being outsold by Cadillac because its different divisions? Samsung Electronics can benefit from Samsung Mobile, or in this case the other way around, do you think they became this successful by not realizing it?

3). Solid point. Nokia has advantages in the WP OS Samsung, HTC, ZTE, and Fujitsu (did I miss anyone?) do not have. But in a lot of markets the Samsung name is worth more in Mobile right now. Price competitively, and give your devices a chance.

I like your points, though. Sammy may really just be looking at WP the way they looked at Bada- a healthy little side venture. If it catches on, great, of not we are all in on Android. If that is their attitude, they will show it with these devices. And I will probably buy Nokia.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

I would have to agree with this. They already have the name recognition so all they have to do is put attractive devices out and boo-ya! Plus Nokia's phones are dull as dish water! :straight:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05