LG? Huawei? ZTE?

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is talking about Samsung, HTC and Nokianokianokia!!! So I think it would be interesting to speculate in what we might see from others, and maybe collect any runmors that haven't been snapped up yet.

I think it has been mentioned somewhere that Huawei wants in on Windows Phone 8. Looking at their Android devices lately it looks like they are getting quite decent at the hardware thing. They seem to lack a design department capable of making a custom UI that stands out on the Android market, but that wouldn't be a problem with WP.

LG has made some mediocre attempts with WP, but I feel they failed even more by only offering the Jil Sander design phone as their second generation option. If it had been accompanied by one or two "regular non-fashion" devices we would probably have seen a few more LG phones in circulation. I think their problem may be that they need to compete with Samsung on their home turf, and go a bit over the top as they try to stand out with things like super powered 3D phones and brand partnerships like those behind the Prada phones and the one that came with exclusive Ennio Morricone ringtones. South Koreans seems to be fast adopters when it comes to actually putting things like NFC payments into practical use, so maybe the lack of support for that has been holding LG back before WP8?

Then there's ZTE, who got a boost when they started offering droids that were cheap enough to be sold with prepaid cards for about €150. They have offered two fairly basic WP devices, but they could probably make decent offers in the midrange as well. They seem be determined to enter the to the tablet market as well, with a bunch of nice-looking about to be released So, they could worth keeping an eye on when it comes to Windows RT also (I could imagine getting their T98 7" quad core tablet if it had RT instead of ICS)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
we know that Huawei is launching their Wp under the ascend name. and maybe using their very thin devices. as for ZTE they are doing it in second half 2013. also Acer and Lenovo are involved. so their devices are coming in maybe first half of 2013

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just hope they dont repeat the first gen mistakes. There were tons of devices laucnhed by numerous OEMs. But today, none of them exist. and even at that time, none of them were ground breaking except a couple of 'em.

2010_10_11039wp7launch.jpg

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I feel first generation mistakes was something to be expected. I think the problem was that after the Nokia partnership was announced OEMs got less interested in correcting those mistakes in the second year, and decided to wait and see. But considering the time it took Nokia to actually get their devices to the market it feels like the others missed an opportunity by not bringing out more Mango phones last fall.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is talking about Samsung, HTC and Nokianokianokia!!! So I think it would be interesting to speculate in what we might see from others, and maybe collect any runmors that haven't been snapped up yet.

I think it has been mentioned somewhere that Huawei wants in on Windows Phone 8. Looking at their Android devices lately it looks like they are getting quite decent at the hardware thing. They seem to lack a design department capable of making a custom UI that stands out on the Android market, but that wouldn't be a problem with WP.

LG has made some mediocre attempts with WP, but I feel they failed even more by only offering the Jil Sander design phone as their second generation option. If it had been accompanied by one or two "regular non-fashion" devices we would probably have seen a few more LG phones in circulation. I think their problem may be that they need to compete with Samsung on their home turf, and go a bit over the top as they try to stand out with things like super powered 3D phones and brand partnerships like those behind the Prada phones and the one that came with exclusive Ennio Morricone ringtones. South Koreans seems to be fast adopters when it comes to actually putting things like NFC payments into practical use, so maybe the lack of support for that has been holding LG back before WP8?

Then there's ZTE, who got a boost when they started offering droids that were cheap enough to be sold with prepaid cards for about €150. They have offered two fairly basic WP devices, but they could probably make decent offers in the midrange as well. They seem be determined to enter the to the tablet market as well, with a bunch of nice-looking about to be released So, they could worth keeping an eye on when it comes to Windows RT also (I could imagine getting their T98 7" quad core tablet if it had RT instead of ICS)
You forgot about ASUS. I'm very eager to see what they are cooking up and for who. Everything I've seen so far is dull as dishwater! :straight:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
You forgot about ASUS. I'm very eager to see what they are cooking up and for who. Everything I've seen so far is dull as dishwater! :straight:

I would never myself buy Asus phone thinking their support... or really anybody outside the HTC, Nokia and Samsung family. Especially Nokia will be in a different planet when it comes to apps and support as a whole as premium partner. Something that will only be more intense as WP8 is MS's and Nokia's OS.

Btw what to you is a good looking phone?

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I would never myself buy Asus phone thinking their support... or really anybody outside the HTC, Nokia and Samsung family. Especially Nokia will be in a different planet when it comes to apps and support as a whole as premium partner. Something that will only be more intense as WP8 is MS's and Nokia's OS.

Btw what to you is a good looking phone?

I have an ASUS gaming laptop (looks like a stealth fighter) and it works fine. For WP8 I think the key to success is innovation and the only two companies bringing anything new to the party is ASUS & Sammy. ASUS with there PadFone (it's coming to the US but don't know if it will have WP8) and Sammy with the Note/Note 2.

What is Nokia doing?...... Boring, ugly, designs. The only thing they seem to care about is a super camera phone that isn't even necessary because I'm sure most people have digital cameras. :straight:

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Dell is also rumored to be getting back into WP with WP* and also even HP may get in as well

okay well... I really love my DVP, and I've always been pretty pleased with the Dell computers I've had over the years but... after how Dell botched the support issues for the DVP I'd be pretty skeptical about giving them another shot with a WP. Perhaps once they've proven themselves I'll be willing to give them another chance but, we'll see how long it'll take before that happens.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

I listed those since they have made some efforts and commitments already that I felt I had some opinions about, but of course what others are up to is interesting as well.

ASUS has gotten their laptop department working quite well in recent years, but on the handheld/lightweight market they have almost gotten a bit silly with their Transformers and Padphones and PadPads and whatnot. It's creative, but the in the eyes of the consumers those concepts seem to lack the usefulness that the designers imagined.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and if Sony would change their mind about WP..? The Xperia line has gotten a bit repetitive since they got out of the Ericsson partnership, but looking at their current collection I think they have the most consistently good looking phones on the market.

And I can't be the only one who has had the thought that the Xperia S design almost looks like it was made for WP?

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I listed those since they have made some efforts and commitments already that I felt I had some opinions about, but of course what others are up to is interesting as well.

ASUS has gotten their laptop department working quite well in recent years, but on the handheld/lightweight market they have almost gotten a bit silly with their Transformers and Padphones and PadPads and whatnot. It's creative, but the in the eyes of the consumers those concepts seem to lack the usefulness that the designers imagined.

Well I've never used one of there tabs or phones but from where I'm sitting the PadFone is the natural evolution of the smartphone and should be the standard form that all manufacturers follow. The only thing I hate less than cRapple is Hemroid but when the PadFone comes to the US later this year (I hope) I'm willing to give it a shot if they don't put WP8 on it. :D

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
okay well... I really love my DVP, and I've always been pretty pleased with the Dell computers I've had over the years but... after how Dell botched the support issues for the DVP I'd be pretty skeptical about giving them another shot with a WP. Perhaps once they've proven themselves I'll be willing to give them another chance but, we'll see how long it'll take before that happens.

I agree with being wary I was just noting there are rumors that Dell and Hp may test the waters With both Dell and Hp I would be leery for the reasons youy note I am primarily thinking Samsung and Nokia and HTC possibly. But i'll look at all of them unless one really wows me . The Phi is close to wowing me already I must admit.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well I've never used one of there tabs or phones but from where I'm sitting the PadFone is the natural evolution of the smartphone and should be the standard form that all manufacturers follow. The only thing I hate less than cRapple is Hemroid but when the PadFone comes to the US later this year (I hope) I'm willing to give it a shot if they don't put WP8 on it. :D

I think the limitation with the Padfone is that the tablet doesn't work without the phone. I think a typical situation would be that everyone has their own phone, while with tablets people will have one or two that are shared by the household members.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an ASUS gaming laptop (looks like a stealth fighter) and it works fine. For WP8 I think the key to success is innovation and the only two companies bringing anything new to the party is ASUS & Sammy. ASUS with there PadFone (it's coming to the US but don't know if it will have WP8) and Sammy with the Note/Note 2.

What is Nokia doing?...... Boring, ugly, designs. The only thing they seem to care about is a super camera phone that isn't even necessary because I'm sure most people have digital cameras. :straight:

Asus is great in PC hardware but handsets are way different thing. There i would never trust them to update and bring their on software compared to Nokia, HTC and Samsung.

As far as Nokia's camera's go, Nokia has two serious camera phones. N8 that is two years old and 808 PureView. So don't really see the point there when Nokia makes almost the same amount of different models a year like Samsung.

You can't go arguing with design with others, but at least Nokia is trying to do something different. While Asians seem to be mostly doing same plastic phone time over time.
Why example Apple used Nokia as example of doing something different yesterday.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I would be shocked- lightning bolt style-shocked- if we see smartphoes from Dell and HP. Yes, I have heard the rumors from them as well, but their bad experiences would put smart money on Windows Tablets from them. (I, however, would be happy to give a Dell Venue Pro 2 a spin. I love portrait sliders, and regret not grabbing the first version despite it's launch hardships. HP I am still very bitter at for killing WebOS.)

Lenovo is someone I would be very happy to see a WP8 from. That would shoot straight up to near the top of my "must see" list.

As for the three manufacturers that the thread anodynamic brought up, I would have no problem with a decent effort if LG would jump back on WP. Their problem is software, not really hardware. I think WP would compliment them nicely.

I can't see being supper excited by either Huawei or ZTE offerings based on what I have seen. But ZTE would get first crack of those two if I had to.

Glad I don't have too.....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just hope they dont repeat the first gen mistakes. There were tons of devices laucnhed by numerous OEMs. But today, none of them exist. and even at that time, none of them were ground breaking except a couple of 'em.

Click to view quoted image

May have to ever so respectfully disagree with ya, XENOPHUS (please, no contract out on the Mutt).
How many Androids from 2010 still "exist"?

They were ALL groundbreaking. They were the first ever WP's.

I sincerely HOPE we have those kind of WP8 choices. There was a form factor and screen size for everyone. How can choice be bad???

And by the way- there are still a good number of Trophy, Arrive, and Focus owners still out there, at least as far as WP 1st gen sales go. And all are very highly regarded by their owners.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
May have to ever so respectfully disagree with ya, XENOPHUS (please, no contract out on the Mutt).
How many Androids from 2010 still "exist"?

They were ALL groundbreaking. They were the first ever WP's.

I sincerely HOPE we have those kind of WP8 choices. There was a form factor and screen size for everyone. How can choice be bad???

And by the way- there are still a good number of Trophy, Arrive, and Focus owners still out there, at least as far as WP 1st gen sales go. And all are very highly regarded by their owners.

Hahaha...But I have to agree with you. Like it or not.. :p
Yes, not many Androids exist today from 2010. I skipped that part very conviniently. See, that's why I like this place. If I am going wrong, you guys will point me in the right direction. I know that...

Thanks Snowy! :p

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

And Samsung has breath taking designs? Yawn. Rectangles with rounded corners for every model. Now in black or white. Their only saving grace is the horsepower they pack.

Yeah, you're a Nokia hater. We get it, but for you to think Samsung "brings something new to the table" is pretty funny.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
And Samsung has breath taking designs? Yawn. Rectangles with rounded corners for every model. Now in black or white. Their only saving grace is the horsepower they pack.

Yeah, you're a Nokia hater. We get it, but for you to think Samsung "brings something new to the table" is pretty funny.

Even I don't get it. Everywhere around me, peolpe just go ga-ga over Samsung. I never, ever liked their designs. Am I clearly missing out on something big or the world has just generally gone tad bit crazy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte