A Galaxy S3 Windows Phone will dominate...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I loves me some Samsung, but I do wish there was some more "heft" to it. Not a deal killer for me. There are tons of nice, heavy, bulky phone cases out there. Adds the feel to my Focus S I want and I get the performance I like.

I am way open to any and all WP8's, but Sammy gets first looks from me. There are 2 reasons why I feel I may go in another direction:

1) Price. Sammy takes itself way to seriously in the price of their top end devices. They have really good options in the mid-tier department. Both the Focus Flash and the Focus 2 are under rated handsets if they fill the need of what you want. But when it comes to high end, Sammy is more than willing to charge a hefty chunk of coin. If I want a WP8 before November 2013 it is coming out of my pocket entirely. Price will be a factor.

2) A freaking physical keyboard, darn it. When Mango sets were hitting the shelf there was this rumor:

Samsung SGH-i677 will follow in footstep and be a portrait QWERTY WP7 Mango device?

Then..... nada. Makes me cry. With the desire for larger screens for media, keyboards are only making it on mid-range Androids and BlackBerry. Nokia is way more likely to make a keyboard attached WP8.

But there is one huge reason why I might stick with Sammy:

They make durable, high quality, eye-catching, extremly well performing devices. In the end, that is why we buy.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
For be it's not about the build quality, it's all about support. And so far what we have seen is that Samsung doesn't give a sh*t about Windows Phone, they are 99,9% android supporters, while Nokia is 100% on Windows Phone, they are the first bringing updates and new apps and they are the ones who advertisse the most Windows Phone. Also, it's 100% sure that PureView isn't coming to samsung phones, which is a big con.

But imagine that Nokia wasn't in the game and I would have to chose between ports of android to Windows Phone of Galaxy SIII and One X. I would easily chose the One X. The design is so much better and the specs are just as good. Galaxy SIII might be better than One X on android because touchwiz is better than sense4, but on Windows Phone you don't have that degree of differentiation, the software would basically be the same on both phones, so One X would be an easy choice.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Pureview tech not only provides unrivaled camera quality l, but top notch audio recording as well. I think you're severely underestimating what it cab do when combined with the proper ecosystem. A WP8 device with Pureview will be a "must have."

I really like Samsung. The GS3 looks beautiful.

However, I prefer a little heft to a device. I want it to feel like it's solidly built. I'd rather have a string phone with a thin case (to protect against knocks and scratches) than a lightly made phone that requires a hefty case.

Nokia has a reputation for making phones that last forever through years of abuse. I appreciate that.

I do believe a Samsung WP based on the GS3 will sell well. Don't get me wrong. But I don't think they'll dethrone Nokia.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather have a Samsung than HTC.

HTC seems like they're trying to build phones like Acer builds computers. Check the boxes. Give people the specs they want. But the parts they use for smaller components are kind if crappy.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Regarding the original post... I agree that Samsung can easily dominate if they want, because of the popularity of the Galaxy series. I also do not dispute the fact that they are well-built and durable. HOWEVER...

Samsung has yet to promote anything Windows Phone based, and until they do, they cannot dominate anything, and we need a united marketing effort on all fronts.

When Apple began selling the iPhone, you didn't just see occasional ads from Apple to promote it. No, you saw CONSTANT ads, you saw the product in TV shows, and you saw not just Apple, but also AT&T promoting it.

Likewise, when you see Samsung Galaxy S3 promotions, they're coming from Samsung and the carriers. So with Windows Phone, we need the same... OEM and Carrier, but also Microsoft, and they need to be on every channel, every commercial break. The ads need to be informative but catchy.

I feel like a broken record saying this, because I know I'm not the only one beating this drum, but it's true.

Anyway, I am not a Samsung hater by any means. I actually REALLY like the products overall. However, I do NOT like the "cheap plastic feel" of their devices. The original post criticizes how "bulky and heavy" other devices are, and that's true... but I happen to PREFER that aspect. It's purely psychological, and I know Samsung builds good stuff, but I just like the feeling better. It's no different than saying, "I like red more than blue."

I don't know Samsung's support habits for their phones regarding updates, but my money is going to Nokia, because -- for now -- they are on top with device support and updates in the Windows Phone world. They're driving the ecosystem right now. Is there room for Samsung? Yes! Do I hope they come in and drive it further? Yes! Do I think they will? Remains to be seen.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather have a Samsung than HTC.

HTC seems like they're trying to build phones like Acer builds computers. Check the boxes. Give people the specs they want. But the parts they use for smaller components are kind if crappy.

They are getting better. They have had great audio for some time. Cameras have been so-so, but people seem much happier with those they put in the One series. Same goes for their displays. And, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, they usually manage to make really nice bodies even though they are somewhat generic looking.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree that Samsung makes a decent product, but I don't agree they will dominate. Regardless of their recent verdict in favor of Apple, Android is still their bread and butter. The only way they will dominate is if they create a unique WP8 device and really jump on board with advertising and pushing the device. Rehashing their Android phones by just slapping WP on it won't cut it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes, even if samsung could make the best Windows Phone 8 device available, if they don't advertise it, they will not dominate nothing...

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
if i had to choose an android port handset, i'd also side with the one X line, i've had both (and a lumia) and the One X is so much nicer in terms of build quality, add an sd slot and it's almost perfect.

the GS3 is nice, but feels cheaper, and pentile screens are really not cutting it for me anymore. the camera on the one X is also much much better.

but i'm really curious to see what nokia comes up with on the 5th.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
I won't get a Samsung because their reception is awwwfullll. I live in Northern Michigan and the reception you get with Nokia/Motorola/Apple/RIM is something I can't look past. I will never own a LG or Samsung for this reason. HTC has some winners like the Incredible 4G and Rezound, but the Trophy is weak.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
.....there hasn't even been a press conference for any WP8 phones yet. You are comparing the L900 to the S3? Why don't you wait until Nokia unveils there new phones. You know Sammy is not going to update the S3 for WP so we're good there but I feel that Nokia might come out with something bigger and badder, in a sense, than the L900. Personally I had the opportunity to play with a friends S3 and it feels cheap. Android 4.X is smooth as *%$*, but IMHO the phone feels cheap. Either way IDC because Verizon is not getting a high end device and thats all I wanted....:mad:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Well with Google losing to Apple in the patent lawsuit the S3 may be banned from the US and who knows the android ecosytem may be fractured by more than just the many variants of android . Samsung may be forced to fully embrace windows phone 8 and beyond. If that happend and VZN really gets with the program viz a viz Windows Phone it could be a great ride in 2013.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I won't get a Samsung because their reception is awwwfullll. I live in Northern Michigan and the reception you get with Nokia/Motorola/Apple/RIM is something I can't look past. I will never own a LG or Samsung for this reason. HTC has some winners like the Incredible 4G and Rezound, but the Trophy is weak.

I'm leery of Samsung for this very reason. I have read that the GS3 is the best Samsung yet for reception. You're right about the Trophy, it is horrible for reception. My Rezound is so much better for reception.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well with Google losing to Apple in the patent lawsuit the S3 may be banned from the US and who knows the android ecosytem may be fractured by more than just the many variants of android . Samsung may be forced to fully embrace windows phone 8 and beyond. If that happend and VZN really gets with the program viz a viz Windows Phone it could be a great ride in 2013.

What? The lawsuit was with Samsung...and the patent lawsuit only pertained to old Samsung phones. Silly.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm leery of Samsung for this very reason. I have read that the GS3 is the best Samsung yet for reception. You're right about the Trophy, it is horrible for reception. My Rezound is so much better for reception.

I was up in northern Michigan earlier this month, not too far outside of Gaylord and the Galaxy Nexus I owned struggled to hold onto any bars of either voice or data. LTE signal? Not a chance. Factor in that phone's horrible battery life and I was tethered to an electrical outlet and one of the few spots where I could reliably get a data connection. I never had that problem in the same location with a Motorola or Apple device.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
What? The lawsuit was with Samsung...and the patent lawsuit only pertained to old Samsung phones. Silly.

I understand why he said that. There's a lot of speculation out there. I have read articles saying Apple is going to push for a ban of the GS3, and other manufactures are going to be afraid of using Android in the future, due to the fear of a billion dollar Apple lawsuit

You're correct, the lawsuit didn't include the GS3, it wasn't even out yet.

It's all speculation.

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I despise samsung's cheap throw away phones. Sure they rock good specs but I just can't stand having cheap feeling plastic in my hand. The s3's finish is cheap it scratches and looks old quickly. They remind me of my Subaru STI, sure it was fast but it was a fast economy car and it felt like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99