nokia 920 leak, with pureview technology

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The exact definition of Pureview is iffy. Nokia describes it as the combination of the 41mp sensor combined with Karl Zeiss optics, but the 808 Pureview also combines a special hardware image processor and of course software to interpolate images as needed. To me, "Pureview" is less about hard specs and more the idea of Nokia returning to being the king of cameraphones with a device that can take the best images and video possible on any device on the market. Sure, the 808 Pureview trumps it, but that was never going to be a mass market device. Nokia needs a device that will move, and if the Pureview brand takes off, we may see a more niche high spec Pureview in the future.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The exact definition of Pureview is iffy. Nokia describes it as the combination of the 41mp sensor combined with Karl Zeiss optics, but the 808 Pureview also combines a special hardware image processor and of course software to interpolate images as needed. To me, "Pureview" is less about hard specs and more the idea of Nokia returning to being the king of cameraphones with a device that can take the best images and video possible on any device on the market. Sure, the 808 Pureview trumps it, but that was never going to be a mass market device. Nokia needs a device that will move, and if the Pureview brand takes off, we may see a more niche high spec Pureview in the future.

Don't forget the enhanced audio recording, allowing the phone to record a wider spectrum of sounds. I believe that they have that under the Pureview umbrella.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget the enhanced audio recording, allowing the phone to record a wider spectrum of sounds. I believe that they have that under the Pureview umbrella.
I certainly hadn't forgotten about the audio. That's not part of the Pureview technology formally, but if Nokia spins Pureview as their brand for customers who care about media creation (like the old N-Series), then the two will likely be synonymous.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
And what's with all the cartoon looks and color. I want something I could pull out in a boardroom meeting without looking like a teenager.

Please tell me how having color choice is a bad thing. Guess what? If you would be embarrased by having a yellow or a red phone, don't buy a yellow or red phone. Seems to me their renders also show black, white or grey. I don't understand this comment.

Note: I've held a Galaxy S3 and the phone is so light, thin, and extremely ergonomic. One the most comfortable phones ever. Seriously my iPhone 4S really feels old at this point. I'm done with small heavy devices. I'll admit I was a big Apple ******, but my options and my eyes are now open.

I'm also currently rocking the S3 after rotating back and forth between the 4S and the Galaxy Crapus.. er, Nexus. It's a great phone, that's for sure, but the actuall looks of it.. it's pretty blah, nothing special. I think the Nexus was a was a far, far, far better looking device. But maybe that's just me.

I'm actually getting the first device that comes out on Verizon.. I don't care who makes it, the quicker I can get off Android onto my dream OS the better.

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to buy this and wrap it and put it under the tree for myself this Christmas. :D

Edit** it won't make it til then. Who am I kidding.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
That would be clever but, why would the sensor be the camera sensor spread through the phone?

If this phone doesn't get the real Pureview, Nokia can forget about me. They already made a mockery of the Carls Zeiss name with the 900.

I believe they were referring to the extra processing chip the 808 utilizes to process 38mp of information. Relocating it would help to preserve a slimmer profile, but might make it less battery efficient to process pics.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am getting the 920 as soon as it's released can't wait this kills both Sammy and HTC so far from what been leaked and announced

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Red one looks amazing, I hope PenTile doesn't ruin on-screen reds though. That said, I hope the camera module is larger. They've already diluted the Carl Zeiss brand with the 800/900, they better not call a subpar 8MP shooter "PureView".

And they release this underwhelming, ugly phone and people are saying it looks better than the ATIV? Had you hold a Galaxy 3 in your hands? That phone becomes an extension of your hand, it's so comfortable you wouldn't believe it.
Switched your tune from "amazing GS3 design" to "comfortable". Far too large for me to be comfortable.

Also, you might want to take a look at reactions to the 920 versus the Galaxy S3 at large. Just about no professional has commended Samsung on a beautiful design. Why? Because the S3 is butt-ugly.

Last edited:

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has a huge following over seas. In some parts if the world, they are considered the best.

I surely didn't expect them to change the Lumia Design because it's the most unique design for a modern smart phone. You may not like it -- it is plastic - but it is well built and, especially with the rumored specs - they are the best and leading the way in terms of designs and features.

With that said, i also love the Samsung Ativ S. It excites me, as a Samsung fan, to see them taking Windows Phone seriously.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So we have seen the Samsung Ativ S and leaked images of the Nokia WP8 devices, but we haven't seen either one in operation, yet we are saying Nokia is disappointing and Samsung is the best WP8? Looks are nice, but I'm more interested in the software features, screen and camera. Hopefully Nokia will back up what they are saying towards Samsung, but either way we will probably have solid phones to choose from.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Red one looks amazing, I hope PenTile doesn't ruin on-screen reds though. That said, I hope the camera module is larger. They've already diluted the Carl Zeiss brand with the 800/900, they better not call a subpar 8MP shooter "PureView".

Switched your tune from "amazing GS3 design" to "comfortable". Far too large for me to be comfortable.

Also, you might want to take a look at reactions to the 920 versus the Galaxy S3 at large. Just about no professional has commended Samsung on a beautiful design. Why? Because the S3 is butt-ugly.

What's amazing about the GS3 design is how great it feels in the hand. It's so light, I couldn't believe it.

Then compare it with the 900 for example, everytime a client comes with that phone I feel uneasy holding it, like it's going to break into a million pieces if it falls down. The design worked on the N9 because of the size but on the 900 it's just awkward to hold and the way the screen protrudes scares me.

And like I said before, why should we settle with second best. Do you know that none of the Windows Nokia phone has a camera as good as the N8? That's crazy, I want the 808 Camera but I don't want a dead OS.

You give me that full Camera in a Nokia WP8 phone on T-mobile and that will be my next phone, regardless of how much I had complained about Windows Phone in the last months. You take that away and suddenly I'm on the fence. That's how important that is to me, Full Pureview is make it or break it guys.

We already settle for worst, more expensive apps. For less features, why should we settle on the camera also? I should just get that stupid looking Galaxy Camera. ( Well maybe not )

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What's amazing about the GS3 design is how great it feels in the hand. It's so light, I couldn't believe it.

Then compare it with the 900 for example, everytime a client comes with that phone I feel uneasy holding it, like it's going to break into a million pieces if it falls down. The design worked on the N9 because of the size but on the 900 it's just awkward to hold and the way the screen protrudes scares me.

And like I said before, why should we settle with second best. Do you know that none of the Windows Nokia phone has a camera as good as the N8? That's crazy, I want the 808 Camera but I don't want a dead OS.

You give me that full Camera in a Nokia WP8 phone on T-mobile and that will be my next phone, regardless of how much I had complained about Windows Phone in the last months. You take that away and suddenly I'm on the fence. That's how important that is to me, Full Pureview is make it or break it guys.

We already settle for worst, more expensive apps. For less features, why should we settle on the camera also? I should just get that stupid looking Galaxy Camera. ( Well maybe not )

What's all this talk about settling for second best?

Do you think the best device will have the best of everything? It's not going to happen.

In any device you'll be able to look at one aspect of it and say something else is better.

Let's relate it to basketball.

There's dribbling, rebounding, passing, defending, and shooting. The "best" player will have a healthy balance of all these. But they might not be the best at any single category.

If you're the most accurate shooter, but your defense is and rebounding is sorely lacking, then you're likely not the best.

If you're the beat rebounded and defender, but you can't shoot or pass, then you're not the best.

However, if someone is the 3rd best shooter, 2nd best passer, 5th best rebounder, 6th beat dribbler, and 3rd beat defender, he'd probably be in the conversation as the best player in the league.

You see, a device that is #1 at everything doesn't exist. And if it did, it would be significantly more expensive than many other high-end devices.

I guarantee that whatever phone you end up with, you'll be settling for 2nd best in at least one major category. Maybe several.

ALborntoride

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Wow...makes me think i'm on Andoidcentral's forum with all the arguing going on..LOL...just kidding;) All i can say is i'm excited about WP8 and the phones that are coming out. 2013 will be an interesting year for Windows phone. Now hopefully Verizon will get some decent phones.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What's all this talk about settling for second best?

Do you think the best device will have the best of everything? It's not going to happen.

In any device you'll be able to look at one aspect of it and say something else is better.

Let's relate it to basketball.

There's dribbling, rebounding, passing, defending, and shooting. The "best" player will have a healthy balance of all these. But they might not be the best at any single category.

If you're the most accurate shooter, but your defense is and rebounding is sorely lacking, then you're likely not the best.

If you're the beat rebounded and defender, but you can't shoot or pass, then you're not the best.

However, if someone is the 3rd best shooter, 2nd best passer, 5th best rebounder, 6th beat dribbler, and 3rd beat defender, he'd probably be in the conversation as the best player in the league.

You see, a device that is #1 at everything doesn't exist. And if it did, it would be significantly more expensive than many other high-end devices.

I guarantee that whatever phone you end up with, you'll be settling for 2nd best in at least one major category. Maybe several.
I don't want this phone to be the best of everything, I just want a Pureview camera that is as good as the 808. This talk started when someone mentioned that even if we don't get the real pureview it should still be the second best camera. This attitup rub me the wrong way. I don't know much about Basketball but I want to use an analogy also.

Lets say that we are the Denver Nuggets and we got a deal with Miami, they are going to give us their star player.

I expect lebron, but rumors say it's going to be Bosch. I say Bosch is not the same as Lebron but everyone says that we should still be happy because he is better than anyone in our team.

Bosch is not going to take our team to the finals bro.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't want this phone to be the best of everything, I just want a Pureview camera that is as good as the 808. This talk started when someone mentioned that even if we don't get the real pureview it should still be the second best camera. This attitup rub me the wrong way. I don't know much about Basketball but I want to use an analogy also.

Lets say that we are the Denver Nuggets and we got a deal with Miami, they are going to give us their star player.

I expect lebron, but rumors say it's going to be Bosch. I say Bosch is not the same as Lebron but everyone says that we should still be happy because he is better than anyone in our team.

Right now WP is just trying to make the playoffs, they aren't looking to make the finals right now. I want the 41 megapixel pureview too, but if 20 megapixels is all I can get I'll take it.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

You need to stop thinking about the device YOU want and start thinking about the device that makes sense to Nokia. PureView Pro will result in a huge phone that will sell to a small group of people. They need a mass market friendly form factor for now and it's not possible with the PureView.

To kind of continue your analogy, Lebron wouldn't hage taken you to the finals. He only would have won the dunk contest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077