nokia 920 leak, with pureview technology

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A couple of thoughts:

1) Most importantly, thanks to all in this thread for disagreeing without taking pot-shots at each other. THAT is what sets this group aside from other sites. By about Winterfang's second post where he is disagreeing with most everyone else about Nokia's early WP8 offering, people from other sites would be calling him a moron, idiot, telling him to go away, so on so forth. I enjoy Winterfangs postings. I find his arguments based in real life experience, and still see someone who wants WP on top. I appreciate everyone being respectful. (When I disagree, I tend to put a little humor into it. I did that recently with Winterfang, and hope it NEVER comes off snotty.)

2) As for these bad boys, I like them in the pictures. But I am also not thinking this is it for WP 8 from Nokia. The way Android handset makers keep churning out devices with ICS, and soon Jellybean, with different form factors and different price points, so will Nokia with WP 8. That will be what sets them apart from Samsung, HTC, and others who make their living off of Android at this point. I like the ATIV, but if I don't love it, that will probably be it from Samsung except some smaller mid-range WP's. If I see these and don't love them, no sweat. I will give Nokia a few months and a different form factor will hit the shelves.

I miss keyboards. (I think I whine like a baby enough about that. Pretty much can see all off you all rolling your eyes at me at this point going: Yeah, yeah, Mutt. So what is NEW??) But, I know it isn't coming from Sammy. I have hope Nokia will offer a couple in 2013.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, I'm expecting new devices from Nokia throughout the year (perhaps even quarterly). Even in the last year which was a transition period, we got the 800 and 710 at launch, the 900 in spring, and then the 610 in summer.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't want this phone to be the best of everything, I just want a Pureview camera that is as good as the 808. This talk started when someone mentioned that even if we don't get the real pureview it should still be the second best camera. This attitup rub me the wrong way. I don't know much about Basketball but I want to use an analogy also.

Lets say that we are the Denver Nuggets and we got a deal with Miami, they are going to give us their star player.

I expect lebron, but rumors say it's going to be Bosch. I say Bosch is not the same as Lebron but everyone says that we should still be happy because he is better than anyone in our team.

Bosch is not going to take our team to the finals bro.

Ok. I get that. You want that one feature the most.

What was confusing was when you said you might look at Android or iOS. Not that there's anything wrong with doing so. But it seems like a illogical response to not getting 100% Pureview, since any handset you get there would have a worse camera.

Now if you said that Pureview was important to you, and if the next WP handset didn't have it you'd go buy an 808 Pureview I'd see the consistent line of thinking. Because you want the best camera.

But saying that if you don't get the best camera, nobody should settle for 2nd best, and then consider going for 3rd best instead... well, it's confusing.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Let's look at this from another angle: If these rumors are true, Nokia was able to get Pureview technology integrated into a phone without changing the form factor. Sure, it's half the megapixel count, but there's no bulge on the back of the unit. The 808 was a camera for hardcore photo enthusiasts that happened to have a GSM radio attached. This is a phone for everyone. Conceivably, they'll be able to push Pureview down into all of their phones as the technology becomes easier to produce. Twelve to eighteen months from now, we may see the return of the 41MP (or higher) Pureview, but without the bulge. But this is how Nokia will regain the camera phone crown, not unlike how they'll regain a strong position in mobile; by releasing a wide swath of devices which integrate Pureview technology. They can't afford to make niche devices with little return at this time.

But really, we just need to wait and see a few more days. I expect there to be much more to get excited about outside of just camera tech.

(Sorry for the lack of sports analogies. Don't really care for sports, or analogies really. :/ )

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia needs to build up the Lumia and Pureview brand before they give you 41MP Pureview on the Lumia. The max MegaPixel spec for the Snapdragon S4 in WP8 is 20MP.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You need to stop thinking about the device YOU want and start thinking about the device that makes sense to Nokia.

Why? Why shouldn't I think of a device I want. I'm the one that's going to buy it, I don't own Nokia stock.

Is it that hard to want a phone that's made with WP8 OS in mind? I had higher expectations from Nokia because they have their future rising on this, and what do they give us? Rehashes and watered down cameras.

Last edited:

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Everybody is talking about Pureview. I want Nokia's rich recording!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJHeSJRYmcs[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur6La-ucGxM[/YT]

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
my big issue with them sticking with this form factor is pretty niche and I'm sure doesn't apply to most of you - if it's not in a case I find the 800 is like a bar of soap, I scratched the screen on mine because it shot out of hands.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
my big issue with them sticking with this form factor is pretty niche and I'm sure doesn't apply to most of you - if it's not in a case I find the 800 is like a bar of soap, I scratched the screen on mine because it shot out of hands.

I also find it difficult to hold without a case

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Why? Why shouldn't I think of a device I want. I'm the one that's going to buy it, I don't own Nokia stock.

Is it that hard to want a phone that's made with WP8 OS in mind? I had higher expectations from Nokia because they have their future rising on this, and what do they give us? Rehashes and watered down cameras.

I don't think anyone has issue with you wanting a device that (seemingly) hasn't been made. You do seem to be confusing your desires and Nokia's needs though. From the rumours surrounding the 920, it would seem that they are releasing the handset that they need - the one that the future of the company depends on. An 808 running Windows Phone wouldn't fill the same role, though if that's the device you wanted then there's certainly nothing wrong with that (incidentally, it would seem this handset is the PurePhi. What of the PureLambda?).

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site

They aren't giving us full PureView yet because it was not a technology developed thinking about Windows Phone.
PureView started being developed more than 5 years ago when Nokia had no idea that they were going Windows Phone (or even that the OS was going to exist). PureView was meant for Symbian, so now it has to be ported to Windows Phone, which takes time if Nokia wants that job done right.

It's ironic how you ask for hardware that is made with WP8 in mind and after that you ask for full PureView, which was created for another OS...

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Their future is on this which is exactly why they aren't making the phone you're asking for. Its kind of like complaining that there isn't a physical keyboard. Like a PureView phone, it is a niche. It won't sell the numbers that Nokia needs to sell.

It really makes sense from a business perspective.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

You need to with a Sammy then. Seriously. They generally have the horsepower under the hood you seem to be looking for.

All these devices seem to be mock ups or perceived - we won't know what they really have until they are released - or have a link to the Nokia site.

But it doesn't matter - to those bound and determined, Nokia will fall short of their expectations no matter what they come with. They'll be either too slow, or the Pureview won't have enough megapixels (like anyone needs 41 mp in the first place unless you take pictures of crime scenes), or the design will be ugly or some other excuse to complain.

I like Nokia - I like their designs, their heritage and their build quality. But I'm not married to them and if their designs fall short for me, I won't take it as a personal affront.

I'll simply choose a different device.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't really like the big black empty bazel in the bottom of the phone. Couldn't they move the Nokia logo to there so it would look less like wasted and useless space that just makes the phone bigger?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)