Expected Features for Windows Phone 7.8

adityadhunna

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Well I know Windows Phone 7.8 has been a huge disappointment for many of us....
But do you guys really think that all the current users are just getting the start screen? All is there more to the story...
keeping in mind the rumors, leaks and expectations...what all more features do you think could come to windows phone 7.8?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I would just keep my expectations on the start screen.

If my USB port wasn't broken, and I was able to update, I can see myself living with 7.8 with the start screen being the only improvement. I wouldn't expect more, and would just be pleasantly surprised if more was included.

My wife's current contract was up last month, so she keeps going back and forth about upgrading to a pink Lumia now or waiting for WP8. She's leaning on waiting, at least until we find out the actual release dates for new devices. But she does love that pink Lumia 900.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It needs to get rid of Zune requirement for Windows 8, add/change Xbox Video/Music. That is all I am expecting in addition to what you said. Even though there are still flaws with the OS.

Last I checked there was no Xbox program for my PC. How do I sync my phone if I do not have game a console?

Color options w/ new start screen and a keyboard that does not disappear is all I really want/need.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang is pretty much right, though, I'm sorry to say (for those expecting more).

I don't have any inside scoop, but Paul Thurrott generally does, and he's even been on record that there's "nothing to see here".

We'll see a rebranding of the Zune stuff, we'll see the new start screen, and that's pretty much it. I think I did hear that Nokia will continue releasing some apps for it.

I know it sucks to hear/admit it, especially for the recent adopters who were expecting more, but I do get why Microsoft had to do it. To retro-fit all the design and development effort into the old kernel would waste a lot of resources that is better spent on the new stuff. It's not just simple "compile and release" kind of stuff, or I'm sure they'd do it.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Last I checked there was no Xbox program for my PC. How do I sync my phone if I do not have game a console?

Color options w/ new start screen and a keyboard that does not disappear is all I really want/need.

There's a possibility, perhaps, of getting new color choices with the start screen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

It has nothing to do with having an Xbox console... Zune for Desktop will get a 4.9/5.0 update that rebrands it as Xbox instead of Zune for the Windows Vista/Windows 7/8 users, and Windows 8 already has the Xbox Music and Xbox Music "UI-formerly-known-as-Metro" apps. Syncing will continue to be done by desktop app and a as-of-yet-unannounced Metro function.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Outlook.com email etc has/will have bult in Exchange Active sync capabilities.

adityadhunna

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site

this seems a most likely feature right now from the conversations that we have been having on the thread...
Nokia will throw a bone to the current users in form certain apps...
which is the more likely situation here..
dont know about samsung..which has come out with the 1st windows phone..
will these windows 8 devices have the same fate as the windows 7 devices?
only time will tell...
but, yes we will have to accept one universal fact, with some many companies now in the market trying to compete in various arenas..and developing new stuff every now and then
our devices do not have the same longevity as in the past...they will get out dated very soon than we expect

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think for the most part others are correct: New Start Screen, Bug Fixes, New Branding. Other than that not much else. However there is hope: I don't think MS actually put too much development into 7.8 yet so once WP8 is out they may try and back port some stuff I am hoping In-App purchases which would greatly expand the marketplace overall.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I promised - PROMISED -myself I would stay away from WP 7.8 update posts until better information came out. But I never-NEVER- believed it would just be the start screen. Paul Thurrott came out with his claim based on the off hand statement during the developers announcement of WP 8 because that is all they CONFIRMED was coming. But the term "features" was used. I am not a smart guy and am stuck with a public education (from North Fort Myers Florida, none the less, so I got sun baked), but I did learn the "s" on the end of words means "more than one".

While I am also still eating crow in some circles due to proclaiming over and over that at least the 2nd gen devices (Titan and T2, Focus Flash, "S", so on) would get Wp 8, I am still not buying the start screen only bull-snot. So, I did a little digging, and came across this atricle:

Post details what features WP7 won't be getting | Electronista

This is a leak from a power point presentation to mobile executives that state some of the features that will not be coming (Wallet hub, true multi-tasking, some more detailed device management, encrytption features, NFC, ECT). But it does state some decent updates will certainly be coming (dozens of camera upgrades, some Nokia-powered features I can only guess at such as Play, Drive, Lecture).

I have seen no other rumors, so I will not put any more cheese on my foot to be consumed later. If I do not buy the one rumor from Mr. Thurott, I can put no more stock in this other unproven rumor.

But I will be this bold and make 3 predictions:

1) It WILL be a legitimate upgrade
2) It WILL NOT just be one feature
3) We will still all want WP 8 devices anyways.

Last edited:

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Apple's pattern seems to be to keep include plenty of new OS functionality when giving upgrades to devices two generations back, and it seems that this time even the 3GS will be getting iOS6.

If Microsoft wants to keep any credibility they've built up for WP, they will have to do better than a start screen. If it's hardware related it's perfectly understandable to leave something out, the wallet hub is probably not much use without NFC for example, but the rest shouldn't pose any major problems.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang is pretty much right, though, I'm sorry to say (for those expecting more).

I don't have any inside scoop, but Paul Thurrott generally does, and he's even been on record that there's "nothing to see here".

We'll see a rebranding of the Zune stuff, we'll see the new start screen, and that's pretty much it. I think I did hear that Nokia will continue releasing some apps for it.

I know it sucks to hear/admit it, especially for the recent adopters who were expecting more, but I do get why Microsoft had to do it. To retro-fit all the design and development effort into the old kernel would waste a lot of resources that is better spent on the new stuff. It's not just simple "compile and release" kind of stuff, or I'm sure they'd do it.
That's what pisses me off about win mobile. Always starting from scratch, always making devices obsolete. The 920 will be worthless in two years, book it.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Guys, get your ideas for WP7.8 features over to MS, here

"As you know, Windows Phone 8 is a generational shift in technology, which means that it will not run on existing hardware.

BUT we care deeply about our existing customers and would like to know SPECIFICALLY what features you would like to see on 7.8 and vote INDIVIDUALLY for the one that you want most (vs. one large grab bag of features)."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077