Is this Nokia's best after all the Smack Talk?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 920

Click to view quoted image

Galaxy S3 Night mode

Is brighter yes but is not revolutionary.

Now, I realize I have poor vision (I'm almost legally blind without my glasses), but with them on I'm about 20/25 vision, and I'm pretty sure from those two samples that the details on the Lumia photo are much clearer... especially the tree bark depth and woman figure is crisper (although it could be the difference in wearing the red vs the blue).

I'm interested in hearing your perspective on why the other is clearer in case I'm missing something...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Now, I realize I have poor vision (I'm almost legally blind without my glasses), but with them on I'm about 20/25 vision, and I'm pretty sure from those two samples that the details on the Lumia photo are much clearer... especially the tree bark depth and woman figure is crisper (although it could be the difference in wearing the red vs the blue).

I'm interested in hearing your perspective on why the other is clearer in case I'm missing something...

Well the glasses is a good look, at least on your avatar XD.

The clearer images I'm referring are to the Galaxy S3 shots without the night mode. Since the nightmode has the aperture on more time, you tend to move the camera and the end result are brighter but blurrier pictures.

As the case with the Nightmode on the GS3, Nokia moving lens tecnology is supposed to fix that, thanks to their amazing stabilization yet... Verge said that it still took a relative steady hand to take a great picture and they still had some blur. They also complained about the pictures being too bright.

So that image stabilization doesn't seem to do that much, compared to the likes of the GS3.

And they certainly don't look like this.

youssef_24244030617714_raw-560.jpg

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Here is what their offer than the 920 doesn't.

Bigger screeen
Bigger batteries
Lighter devices
Slimmer devices
More, better and cheaper apps
Cheaper devices
and in GS3 case, SD card slot-removable battery and availability in all carriers.

Bigger screen ... honestly, it's big enough. Some people love phablets, but you would be hearing people saying it's too big if it was 4.8. Can't win on screen size (unless you have more then one device).

Bigger batteries. All WP have amazing battery life. The original Lumia 900 has AMAZING battery life. And the Lumia 920 is no slump, bringing a huge improvement -- which no one was complaining about from the original -- so why are you complaining now? I mean, the Lumia 900 which has a similar battery size as my GS2 (and although my GS1 has a smaller battery, it has the same horrible battery life as my GS2) and where the GS2 can't last all day -- even when turned off for most of that day -- the Lumia 900 can generally last one, maybe two days with low to moderate use (just like I use my GS2 when at work). I can't wait until I can actually have my phone on ALL DAY at work. Yes, a bigger battery would be nice, but with Android a bigger battery is NEEDED where iOS and WP it's not needed.

Slimmer device. I mean, what can i say? The Lumia was pretty thick, and apparently this one is thinner. It's getting better. But if they did what everyone wanted it would have been worse, and you'll still be complaining.

More app's ... well, Nokia has more app's then other WP's, so i don't know why your complaining. Now compared to Android, yes, it has less apps. But then if thats what you want, why consider a WP? But honestly, doesn't the WP Marketplace have over 100k apps now? I'm not buying 100k apps. It doesn't even have the two app's I want -- mobile banking for my credit unions -- but I'm still getting a Nokia because I am sick of Android and not getting an iPhone (and I don't want the Samsung Ativ S because honestly, Nokia is better).

Cheaper devices? The Lumisa 900 is 49.95 right now, and started at 99.95. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 920 at a 149.95 - 199.95 price range, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it cheaper. And the 900 will likely be FREE after the 920 launch ... so how much cheaper do you want? And I assume we are talking about NOKIA, which is unfair since PRICING hasn't been released for these new devices. And that GS3 started at like what, 199? I bet it won't be cheaper then FREE and it's not better then the Lumia 920 ... so I don't EXPECT that one to be cheaper.

SD card slot, I'll give you. I would never use it, I never do on my GS2. I generally think it's a pain b/c by default everything goes on the device, then at some point I get a notifiation saying I need to move my app's to the SD card, which is an annoying process. I don't know where my pictures go, but I would never remove my SD card so it doesn't matter. I have this wonderful thing calle Dropbox ... and Google Drive ... and SkyDrive ... and email ... where I can MOVE my photo's to my computer, and OMG move them to my new phone. Why would i want to remove my SD card ... which is kinda annoying, because i hate the flemsey plastic battery cover on my GS2. Over wifi this won't take me a long time. I realize this is subjective, but then OMG so is the need for a SD card. .... and if you REALLY want it ... and REALLY love your GS3 ... get an Ativ S. It's that phone, but better because ... OMG it has WP8 which is better then Android. Honestly, Android needs a lot of work. It's getting slowly to where it needs to be, but WP is getting there faster.

And to the person talking about The Verge pictures ... lets quote them, shaw we?

"The prototype Nokia Lumia 920 certainly features the kind of camera technology that deserves some hype. It's just too bad that Nokia decided to lie when it was hyping it... That's a pity, because everything we experienced last night makes us think that Nokia's hardware deserved much better than what Nokia's marketing team did to it."

Sounds like they came away impressed. Dissapointed at the marketing team, sure, but impressed nonetheless. ****, I CAME away impressed, because I hate my camera on my GS2 and if you read phonedog, I am not the only one dissapointed with camera quality on Android.

BTW, here is the link people to The Verge ( Exclusive photos: We put Nokia's controversial Lumia 920 PureView camera to the test | The Verge ). Actually go read and watch what is said, and not believe what people tell you what they say. Because they came away impressed. They said in the video that the 920 did very well and they had no compaints, while the others didn't hold up so well -- besides the One X and GS3 when turned on Night Mode. But even still ... I thought those were more blurry then the 920.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

The clearer images I'm referring are to the Galaxy S3 shots without the night mode. Since the nightmode has the aperture on more time, you tend to move the camera and the end result are brighter but blurrier pictures.

As the case with the Nightmode on the GS3, Nokia moving lens tecnology is supposed to fix that, thanks to their amazing stabilization yet... Verge said that it still took a relative steady hand to take a great picture and they still had some blur. They also complained about the pictures being too bright.

So that image stabilization doesn't seem to do that much, compared to the likes of the GS3.

Thanks! :blush:

To the point though... the problem being the Night Mode is REQUIRED to get any kind of viewable image at night with the GS3 (without it was barely visible), so sounds to me like it's a rock/hard place situation for GS3 users... either it's clear but dark or it's moderately brighter but a bit softened.

The Lumia produced a clear, stable image that was brighter, and no special mode was required to produce it... just point and shoot. Given the choice, I will be happy to take the 920 out as my primary camera (except when I have my DSLR for serious shots).

Here's a curiosity... have any DAY photos been released for comparison? I know they did the day time video, but I haven't seen any still shots. The only day shots I saw were the indoor shots I got to take at the demo (too bad I couldn't get any of them to upload, lol).

Finally, we get it... the advertising agency was total BS, and the rest of us have moved on. Come along with the rest of us! You can still criticize them without harping on this kind of nonsense! :D

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. The Verge did a test with the Galaxy S III and iPhone 4S in "night mode" and saw photos of similar quality to the 920.

And the Verge still concluded the 920 prototype still had the best night pictures.

Not judging by the photos from The Verge. They were considerably blurrier than photos from other phones.

A slight lack of sharpness at night with prototype, but BETTER than competitors.

This feature doesn't even exist yet. Apart from one faked video and one non-verified video, it has never been demonstrated. When The Verge asked for a demo of the feature, Nokia refused, saying it's not yet ready.

The technology exists. It's just not in final form for 920 hardware yet.

Feel free to talk crap about it if it doesnt work when released.

By a nose.

You mean, the best.

That's a bit rich to say, having not seen it. I know Nokia made the same promise for my Lumia 900, and DID NOT deliver. The only way the 900 is readable in direct sunlight is if you turn off the automatic brightness and crank the brightness all the way up.

900 was still quantifiably ranked as having the best outside reading LCD screen. 920 is an improvement upon that.

It's a FACT

So they claim. But again, it hasn't been independently tested, and after their fake video and photo fiasco, it's hard to trust anything they say.

Except it has been independently tested.

Ummm... what?

It's how quickly and how often pixels are redrawn on the screen. The better the refresh rate, the less motion blur.

I wouldn't say that. Apple delivers support Nokia could only dream of delivering.

Apple does have great support.

But Apple doesn't make Windows Phones.

The Carl Zeiss shooter in my Lumia 900 delivers far worse pictures than the "crappy" lens on my Radar 4G.

OK. The Lumia 900 doesnt have a very good camera. I don't think anyone here is claiming it does.

I don't think they're compelling enough to choose a handset over.

For some, that's the. For others, it's not. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Then again, ALL of your points are speculation because the phone isn't priced nor released. And a lot of these promises look VERY familiar to those of us who were burned by the Lumia 900 fiasco.

And all of your criticisms are also speculation.

People are excited about the 920. If it turns out that the real phone doesnt do the things claimed, then the excitement will die.

But you're trying to do what they call "poisoning the well", and it's really unnecessary.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! :blush:

To the point though... the problem being the Night Mode is REQUIRED to get any kind of viewable image at night with the GS3 (without it was barely visible), so sounds to me like it's a rock/hard place situation for GS3 users... either it's clear but dark or it's moderately brighter but a bit softened.

The Lumia produced a clear, stable image that was brighter, and no special mode was required to produce it... just point and shoot. Given the choice, I will be happy to take the 920 out as my primary camera (except when I have my DSLR for serious shots).

Here's a curiosity... have any DAY photos been released for comparison? I know they did the day time video, but I haven't seen any still shots. The only day shots I saw were the indoor shots I got to take at the demo (too bad I couldn't get any of them to upload, lol).

Finally, we get it... the advertising agency was total BS, and the rest of us have moved on. Come along with the rest of us! You can still criticize them without harping on this kind of nonsense! :D

I can't get over it that easy.

I was promised this

gsmarena_001.jpgp

but they gave me this

gsmarena_005.jpg

When they have the technology for this

a-photo-of-a-female-rock-climber-in-south-africa.jpg

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

I see so you're just being whiny and hating because of a bit of embellishment on a product or of a simulation that just about every freaking company does. I'm surprised you're not mad at MS for that Tell Me video. Surely, someone might believe that Tell Me and windows phone can do all things, no?

Freaking ridiculous. If you can't appreciate the tech that Nokia's bringing despite their lack of intent to deceive, heh well I don't even know what to say.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Winterfang is mad about not having the 41MP camera, which I can understand, except I don't want that giant hump either (and I know Winterfang doesn't either).

The point is, it's a conflict of desires, and I'll take what I can get until what I want becomes an option.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The 920 is neither thin nor compact. And I don't care if you give me a phone with a huge bump.

Edit: goodthings. I don't mind a thick phone with the 808 technology

I actually felt in love with this phone.

Nokia_Lumia_Pureview_WP8_2.png

Nokia_Lumia_Pureview_WP8_1.png

If you noticed, it has the same ugly bezel of the 920, an even smaller screen on a bigger device, way thick than the 920 also. BUT it has the best camera Nokia has to offer.

I want the best they have to offer and If they give me that I can forgive everything else. If you are not bringing that, give me a good looking device then like the ATIV or One S. A think beautiful device that is still possible with the same specs.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
We've been over this... I already said it's thinner than the 900 and only 2mm thicker than the ATIV. It's almost literally splitting hairs, lol.

Oh and btw, your LG Optimus 7 is exactly the same thickness as the Lumia 900, so the 920 is thinner than your current... you know, for the record! :p

So anyway, I get it... you just want it all, and piecemeal isn't enough... except that whatever else you choose will have lesser specs. So you're just being spiteful to Nokia because they broke your heart and let you down?

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
My LG Optimus 7 also came out in 2010. Is basically a feature phone by today's standards.

Well you can have your Ativ... I'll still take the 920... even though it's bigger than my Titan (by a whopping mm).

It will be technologically superior to what I have AND be prettier to look at. And sure I might gawk at the Ativ once in a while, but I'll always be grateful for the phone on my nightstand every night, lol.

(Hmm, I think I'm done with this metaphor, lol.)

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The 920 is neither thin nor compact. And I don't care if you give me a phone with a huge bump.

Edit: goodthings. I don't mind a thick phone with the 808 technology

I actually felt in love with this phone.

If you noticed, it has the same ugly bezel of the 920, an even smaller screen on a bigger device, way thick than the 920 also. BUT it has the best camera Nokia has to offer.

I want the best they have to offer and If they give me that I can forgive everything else. If you are not bringing that, give me a good looking device then like the ATIV or One S. A think beautiful device that is still possible with the same specs.

What the 920 delivers in that form factor and for the price is Nokia's best. If that's not good enough for you go buy the 808 pureview if you care so much about pictures. Otherwise, the Rolling Stones have a song for you.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be caught dead with a symbian device. That OS is even more dead than WP7, I want WP8 with 808 pureview. Nokia has the means to do it, they refuse to.

Just like they never brought the N8 camera to their first Windows device.

I was led to believe Nokia was some kind of hardware geniuses, only held back by the symbian software, but so far I'm only seen them give an 80% at most.

For Nokia I expect everything. I expect them to max the Windows Phone hardware and force the competition to caught up. I expect other devices to be compared to them for at least 2 years.

Nothing like that has happened.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be caught dead with a symbian device. That OS is even more dead than WP7, I want WP8 with 808 pureview. Nokia has the means to do it, they refuse to.

Just like they never brought the N8 camera to their first Windows device.

I was led to believe Nokia was some kind of hardware geniuses, only held back by the symbian software, but so far I'm only seen them give an 80% at most.

For Nokia I expect everything. I expect them to max the Windows Phone hardware and force the competition to caught up. I expect other devices to be compared to them for at least 2 years.

Nothing like that has happened.

To be fair, I still believe it's a matter of cost and design. They released the 900 and it was wildly popular, they released the 808, and it's NOT that popular in spite of the camera, so I think they said "how much can we give in what works?" Well, we got the 920 out of that based on the cost consumers will pay.

Sorry they let YOU down, but they went with a crowd pleaser option.

In the mean time, I still believe you're choosing 2nd Place to spite 1st Place. :giggle:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I think many people have/had similar sentiments. Unfortunately, all of you are destined to remain forever disappointed. Why? Because smartphone manufacturers are largely just component assemblers. Few of the parts that go into any smartphone are engineered from the ground up by the companies that put their logo's on the casing.

Samsung develops their own SoC's (which they also sell to anyone else who wants them), Samsung and Nokia both develop their own display technologies and Nokia develops their own camera tech. Most everything else is bought from third parties which all manufacturers have access to. As a result, no competitor can shake off their competition solely based on hardware specs, or only for very short periods of time if they are first to market.

It's time to change the yard stick you use to compare smartphones with my friend. Today, it's all about software and online services. Let's hope MS nails it with WP8... so far it's still "meh". :(

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6