Lumia 920 demo reel is faked?

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
This is a great video:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimDfEIEiu0[/YT]

But if you look at :27, you can see clearly that the "OIS ON" section wasn't shot by a dude riding a shaky bicycle and his Lumia 920. Instead, it was shot by a cameraman in a van, with what looks like a DLSR:

7zVl1.jpg

Troublesome, no? Nokia needs to release the raw video from the guy on the bike, if it really exists.

foregonereality

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
This is a great video:

Click to view quoted video

But if you look at :27, you can see clearly that the "OIS ON" section wasn't shot by a dude riding a shaky bicycle and his Lumia 920. Instead, it was shot by a cameraman in a van, with what looks like a DLSR:

Click to view quoted image

Troublesome, no? Nokia needs to release the raw video from the guy on the bike, if it really exists.
Oh dear.

Nice find OP! that's not going to look good for nokia should any press outlets/competitors get their hands on it.

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess they never actually said it was filmed on a bike, but it's certainly implied. Sad. If you're going to pull a fast one, be smart enough to fake it well enough that no one can call your bluff.

Good catch.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This is a great video:

Click to view quoted video

Click to view quoted image

So you're accusing Nokia of fraud?

Who do you think was filming when both the guy and the girl were in the picture? Maybe the guy in the van?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Or was the van behind them for filming both riders? Cause there are shots of both riders, both the filmer and filmee.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't spot it originally. I saw someone's comment at engadget. However, I did see another potential bit of proof that the video is not legit. Notice the shadow of the cameraman from the carnival ride scene. Is it a Lumia 920, or a DSLR rig?

tWDdq.jpg

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Or it could be a guy on one of the swings holding his phone up.

Why would Nokia fake this knowing that the phone will be released and people can test it out for themselves?

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Clearly in the shot with the van, there is no second rider. The footage shot from the DSLR in the van was passed off as footage shot by the guy on the bike with the 920.

In the carnival ride, the shadow of the cameraman is ambiguous, but it doesn't look like a guy holding a 920 to me.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
OH SNAP.

Sucks to be Nokia right now. Their stock has taken a 15% hit today. Wonder if that already reflects this fiasco.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
It could be a fake, but it could be genuine as well. I looked at it a couple of times and can't quite determine if the angle is such that the rider shooting the alleged video would even show up in the reflection. It could still be that the guy in the van is slightly in front of the second rider. IDK, I'm sure there will be some clarification.

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Check out this vid (via commenter at pocketnow) and jump to 1:30:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWRI9RoxN0[/YT]

Shows the OIS work amazingly for still photos. It might just work as well for video as well.

bokchoy1

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
The ambiguous shadow on the carousel could be this smartphone rig:

axv1850.jpg

They do have an on/off comparison after all...

On another note - is that a magenta Lumia 920?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So it was probably some sort of prototype rig.

I'd like to see video from the final 920.

The image stabilization still shots have been amazing. If it transfers to video (which I expect it would, since they're claiming it), then this is a must-have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel