Lumia 920 demo reel is faked?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Smoke and Mirrors? PureView OIS commercial faked

From the Verge:

Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked | The Verge

The new PureView camera might be amazing, but a bizarre easter egg has revealed that the company's advertisements don't give an honest view of its technology. Amid Nokia's flurry of press today ? if you haven't heard, they released a new flagship phone along with some other gear ? one video advertisement in particular caught our eye. In the ad, Nokia shows off the PureView's image stabilization technology. The opening segment (which, importantly, isn't qualified by a "screen images simulated" notice), shows a young man and woman cheerily riding bikes along a scenic river. As he films her breezily laughing, the ad shows side-by-side video ? obviously intended to represent the phone's video capabilities. On the left, Nokia shows the non-stabilized version, which, predictably, looks terrible, and on the right the ad shows the perfectly smooth capture, purportedly enabled by Nokia's optical image stabilization technology. The only problem is that the video is faked.

As you can see in the video and photo above, there's a curious reflection in the window of the trailer in the background. It's not a young man riding his bicycle alongside the cheerful model, but instead a big white van with a lighting rig and a cameraman standing in the doorway ? with what appears to be a large camera rig.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll wait for the honest reviews before I make judgement. Teasers and adverts should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll wait for the honest reviews before I make judgement. Teasers and adverts should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Pretty much.

It's actually VERY unusual for teasers or commercials to use phone cameras. When they do, they normally have something big plastered on screen saying, "USING THE NOKIA N8" or something.

This was a tech demo for OIS. But unfortunately, since OIS tech is present in the Lumia 920, many will assume that it's the 920 filming it. Not really taking into account that the tech could exist on its own.

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
of course its fake, so is half the stuff you see on tv. the hole point of the video was a little misleading but was to show the ability of OIS, and the fact that it does make a difference in camera quality. which was accurately demonstrated in a myriad of other hands on videos. give them a break, apple has tons of fake misleading ads as well..

never seen so many people freak out over this stuff...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think if the real world use ends up pretty much the same, it won't be much a story anymore.

The vid was to show off Optical Image Stabilization technology. It did so.

If it somehow turns out different in the phone, then there will be a lot of complaints.

When all is said and done, the people that don't like Nokia products won't get it and point at the video as one of the reasons. The people that do like Nokia products will get it and say that real world performance is what really matters.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
of course its fake, so is half the stuff you see on tv. the hole point of the video was a little misleading but was to show the ability of OIS, and the fact that it does make a difference in camera quality. which was accurately demonstrated in a myriad of other hands on videos. give them a break, apple has tons of fake misleading ads as well..

never seen so many people freak out over this stuff...

I've complained about misleading Apple ads for years. But like I tell my kids, just because other kids are doing something wrong doesn't mean it's okay for you to do so as well. The ad was woefully misleading and clearly suggested that the OIS shots were taken with a Lumia 920. Particularly because previous Pureview ads have, in fact, been filmed with the Pureview camera. (This ad was shot entirely with the killer 41MP camera on Nokia’s 808 PureView | VentureBeat)

The sad part is, for all we know, the camera on the Lumia 920 is absolutely awesome. But by releasing this misleading ad, Nokia did terrible damage to its reputation. Just look at The Verge's article on it, "Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked." People will assume the camera is lousy because Nokia had such a misleading ad claiming it's good. This is like cops framing a guilty person. This is like Paul Ryan lying about how fast he ran a marathon, when he could have just impressed people by saying he's completed a marathon (which I never have). Misleading people makes no sense if you can just rely on the truth.

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I just saw a bunch of real life photos and videos being taken with the 920 and they look great so I know it does the job. Now, where do i preorder? :p

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I've communicated briefly with a Nokia employee about this "scandal."

His reaction was one of slight frustration, because he's used the device and it is completely capable of doing what was in the video.

I imagine that at the time the video was made, the final version of the hardware/software wasn't available yet. But they wanted a video that would show what the results of final hardware would look like.

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I've communicated briefly with a Nokia employee about this "scandal."

His reaction was one of slight frustration, because he's used the device and it is completely capable of doing what was in the video.

I imagine that at the time the video was made, the final version of the hardware/software wasn't available yet. But they wanted a video that would show what the results of final hardware would look like.

It's a real shame, I only hope Nokia will reproduce the video using the 920 to remedy their marketing mistake.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia's response.

An apology is due

Published by Heidi Lemmetyinen on September 6, 2012

We?re excited about the Lumia 920 and the ground-breaking PureView imaging capabilities we announced today.

In an effort to demonstrate the benefits of optical image stabilization (which eliminates blurry images and improves pictures shot in low light conditions), we produced a video that simulates what we will be able to deliver with OIS.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but we should have posted a disclaimer stating this was a representation of OIS only. This was not shot with a Lumia 920. At least, not yet. We apologize for the confusion we created.

We are looking forward to bringing the Lumia 920, with PureView optical image stabilization to select markets later this year.

Here is the video shown at the press conference shot using a Lumia 920. On the right is a Lumia 920 prototype with OIS. On the left is a smartphone without OIS. The difference is apparent.

A quick vid walking with the cameras shown in the two camera rig.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HSbhyaH0vw[/YT]

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
LOL. So it's not fake, just intentionally misleading.

Well, sort of. My guess is that at the time they filmed that video, the 920 just wasn't ready enough to use it, so they simulated it.

They clearly should have said this at the onset, or not even have shown that video and just let the actual results people are seeing speak for themselves. That being said, it does look like journalists got similar results today when actually using the devices, so I'm not too concerned.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well, sort of. My guess is that at the time they filmed that video, the 920 just wasn't ready enough to use it, so they simulated it.

They clearly should have said this at the onset, or not even have shown that video and just let the actual results people are seeing speak for themselves. That being said, it does look like journalists got similar results today when actually using the devices, so I'm not too concerned.

The challenge with trying to put a disclaimer in the beginning is that it was used as a "teaser." It was supposed to be a mystery.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The challenge with trying to put a disclaimer in the beginning is that it was used as a "teaser." It was supposed to be a mystery.

The teaser video just showed the girl bicycling. That's it. No text, no explanation. No disclaimer needed there. On the other hand, the full video, with "no OIS" and "OIS" compared side-to-side in multiple contexts, should have had "simulation: not Lumia 920 footage" in small print at the bottom. It didn't.

You may think that this is trivial, but in terms of represntations to a consumer, that sort of disclosure is a big deal. Particularly because Nokia has, in the past, actually filmed commercials for Pureview cameras with the Pureview camera itself. So without any disclaimer, and with the video edited the way it was, it clearly created the impression it was filmed with the Lumia 920.

This is not sophisticated stuff. A company the size of Nokia should know how to do this. I'm not writing off the phone itself after this escapade, but I am writing off assertions from Nokia itself about the phone. Trust has been damaged, and only in-depth third-party reviews of the phone can restore it.

Before anyone calls me a blind Samsung ******--that seems to be a common refrain from people getting very defensive over this--I have no brand loyalty to any of the three WP8 OEMs and am considering any WP8 flagship that comes to US Cellular.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

Yeah, I meant they needed the disclaimer when they showed the full video today, not at the teaser a few days ago.

I agree that it's a pretty big mistake, but like I said I'm not sure it'll be a big deal when the thing gets released, as long as the results come close enough to matching that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel