Lumia 920 demo reel is faked?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
@Winterfang's "Why are you defending this"

^^ because what they did was a marketing error. They demonstrated technology not the device.

They said this is OIS, they did not say this is Nokia Lumia 920.

Of course camps get heated up because they cannot find a single flaw in new camera and all other camps know, there isn't anything out there that will beat it.

So how do we deter potential customers? Let's just call it a lie.

Daniel, journalists and the flower pot videos - all show that what the phone has is exactly what the "professional camera" or whatever you want to call it had. That means Nokia did not lie, Nokia gave you a professional camera in your smartphone.

Let's offer kudos to Nokia, instead of calling it a liar.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It is a lie, I'm sorry.
But having said that, I know the atmosphere behind those doors where Nokia, MS, the ad agency and the production house all wrangled and tangled up to make an ad about the new device to be launched any time soon.
It WAS supposed to sell like hot cake, it was supposed to be their (only?) USP. People were to say "WHOA!! Look what a Lumia can do."...but because of one tiny screw up...it all comes down like a house of cards.

But on the other hand, if this little mistake wasn't caught, how many of us would actually believe OIS was capable of doing this??

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
@Winterfang's "Why are you defending this"

^^ because what they did was a marketing error. They demonstrated technology not the device.

They said this is OIS, they did not say this is Nokia Lumia 920.

I want Nokia to succeed. I like Nokia. I'm not out to bash Nokia. I might buy a Lumia 920 myself. All that said, while they didn't EXPRESSLY say "this is Lumia 920," they implied it as hard as you can. Even I think it's splitting hairs to say that they didn't claim it was the Lumia 920's Pureview camera, but instead OIS in the abstract...and I'm a lawyer who splits hairs by trade!

original.jpg

And, of course, the video ends with "THIS IS LUMIA," in all caps, showing the boyfriend taking a picture of the girlfriend with the phone. Which he had done throughout the ad.

Nokia made a great phone. Nokia ALSO made a woefully misleading ad that is going to make it much harder for Nokia to get people interested in the phone. These two things are not mutually exclusive, and the first does not erase the second.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It is a lie, I'm sorry.
But having said that, I know the atmosphere behind those doors where Nokia, MS, the ad agency and the production house all wrangled and tangled up to make a ad about the new device to be launched any time soon.
It WAS supposed to sell like hot cake, it was supposed to be their (only?) USP. People were to say "WHOA!! Look what a Lumia can do."...but because of one tiny screw up...it all comes down like a house if cards.

But on the other hand, if this little mistake wasn't caught, how many of us would actually believe OIS was capable of doing this??

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

I would had believe it. The 808 Pureview is a fantastic camera and I have no doubts Nokia could do something like that for Windows Phone.

But they tried to play us for suckers and it turn down on then catastrophically. ( It's even on the news)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I would had believe it. The 808 Pureview is a fantastic camera and I have no doubts Nokia could do something like that for Windows Phone.

But they tried to play us for suckers and it turn down on then catastrophically. ( It's even on the news)

I would have believed it too. Even though I am in advertising I don't take any ad very seriously, I would have said, may be Lumia could do this. Hence, yes, it was a lie, and Nokia is caught RED handed.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If they don't believe in their camera why should I? Didn't the One X commercial with the guy taking pictures while free falling from an Airplane real? Yet Nokia can't even take night pictures without faking it!!

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If they don't believe in their camera why should I? Didn't the One X commercial with the guy taking pictures while free falling from an Airplane real? Yet Nokia can't even take night pictures without faking it!!

I bought a RaZr. Why? I saw the ad, I liked the ad. Why? What did the ad show?
It showed SmartActions and wireless pulling of files through MotoCast.
Now what if After buying I know it does none of this.

Do I sue Moto? (Thankfully it does what it says).

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What about the people that bought the latest galaxy and iPhone because siri/s voice worked great in the commercials but in real life it takes several tries to get something across?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Why are you defending this?

Defending what?

I said it was a mistake on their part.

I believe they should have explicitly stated that the videos were tech demos, not actually taken with a particular phone.

I know of someone that's well positioned in Nokia. And he assures me that the tech is real and works as advertised.

They truly believe that PureView is a technology that stands on its own. It's not a device. It's not a phone.

The demo was for a feature of PureView. And the phone would happen to include that technology. But the phone isnt the technology.

I believe the reps I've contacted. They admit a marketing mistake. They know why there is a misunderstanding. But their intent was to demo the technology.

What's important to me is what the phone does. Not drama from a mistake.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
At least Sire/S Voice are real and they didn't used a professional tape recorder or something. Surely you would understand how advertising a cellphone camera using instead a professional camera and set up is straight up lying.

It will be like me uploading a painting in Facebook, then had people call me out for taking a picture of a museum and trying to pass it out as something I made.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It is a lie, I'm sorry.
But having said that, I know the atmosphere behind those doors where Nokia, MS, the ad agency and the production house all wrangled and tangled up to make an ad about the new device to be launched any time soon.
It WAS supposed to sell like hot cake, it was supposed to be their (only?) USP. People were to say "WHOA!! Look what a Lumia can do."...but because of one tiny screw up...it all comes down like a house of cards.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

According to my acquaintance at Nokia who has used the device, OIS is capable of doing what's in the video.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Pretty childish to harp on the phone and claim to be uninterested because of a misleading video. What it should do is make you hesitant until someone reviews it and see for yourself. I thought we knew that as tech activists.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
At least Sire/S Voice are real and they didn't used a professional tape recorder or something. Surely you would understand how advertising a cellphone camera using instead a professional camera and set up is straight up lying.

It will be like me uploading a painting in Facebook, then had people call me out for taking a picture of a museum and trying to pass it out as something I made.

it is real and if you DONT know that, you need to drop this argument cause obviously you have no idea what you're upset about. The technology is real, it is on the phone, but they didn't use the phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I truly do understand where Mitlov and Xenophos are coming from. It was a huge error. And it's quote possible that someone in a high decision making position knew that it could be misleading, but took the risk anyway just because it is standard practice. So, it makes sense to actually wait and see real results and reviews from the device before believing things.

But honestly, Winterfang's rants come across as hating. The declarations that the device doesn't work, even though evidence from respected tech journalists say it does, seems more like a mission against Nokia than an honest analysis.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly WinningGuy, tails has been doing a Microsoft bash fest for the longest. He's actually on my ignore list

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I truly do understand where Mitlov and Xenophos are coming from. It was a huge error. And it's quote possible that someone in a high decision making position knew that it could be misleading, but took the risk anyway just because it is standard practice. So, it makes sense to actually wait and see real results and reviews from the device before believing things.

But honestly, Winterfang's rants come across as hating. The declarations that the device doesn't work, even though evidence from respected tech journalists say it does, seems more like a mission against Nokia than an honest analysis.

I never said the device won't work. I'm saying that is false advertising. I'm not the only one saying, if the camera was that great why fake it?

Other companies didn't do it, or at least put a disclaimer bellow saying (simulation). And I'm certainly not loving Nokia after their Samsung bashing.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think this *could* be a publicity stunt by Nokia to gain all the attention they could?

Media talking, people talking, forums heating up - they let it go on, say sorry, on the other hand keep releasing videos and side by side comparisons etc...

And in a month, EVEN after iPhone 5 announced, they start smoking iPhone 5 camera with REAL DEAL Nokia Lumia 920 in more #smokedbyLumia or whatever challenge?

They needed people to talk about Lumia, people to know Lumia exist and now they've got media and tech blogs to do EXACTLY the same.

This won't harm Nokia per say because in fact Lumia 920 has that Pure View technology and when the phone goes one-on-one IT WILL smoke other phones. But for that campaign to pick up the heat, they needed publicity and they've just got it started now?

It may well happen that in a week's time when iPhone5 launches we will still have people talking and debating about Lumia920?

Just thinking Nokia being as snob as they were before they could do anything. If they've not thought of this, what are the chances they read my post and use some tip? ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers