Lumia 920 demo reel is faked?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
OIS should dramatically improve night photography, because it allows the shutter to remain open longer without getting blur from hand movement. At least, that's the theory Nokia advanced, and it makes logical sense.

Yeah, but he's talking about video where you can't just have a two second exposure per frame.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Ignore Tails. Let sonic babysit him.

That's jacked up...
:mad:

...to Sonic.
:D

But seriously... in time we'll have tons and tons of real world usage vids and pictures to compare. If he's going to complain, this is the time for him to do it. He won't be able to in a few weeks.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Another amazing example. Seriously, why the heck didn't they just use what they have for the commercial?

I'm almost back on board the hype train.

This is precisely the type of example I saw on Wednesday in NYC, and you're right-- it should be shown everywhere. It's quite remarkable when you see it in person.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why the he.ck didn't Nokia had Verge do it then? It's like they are clueless. If the video works and the camera works why lie? It's like the want to get themselves into trouble.

Video Stabilization can be a huge plus for me, as I rarely make videos because of the shaking.

I'll play devil's advocate for a moment and point out that they didn't actually hit "record"... they just demonstrated the on-screen effect. I would suspect that's what they meant by "not ready" yet if they had loaded on a still incomplete firmware load on their demo units.

That doesn't dismiss what was shown... clearly the tech works... it's just curious what, exactly, is "not ready". Maybe they're still optimizing write times and video compression rates.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there's a reason they will also won't let other people actually shoot the videos them. The feature doesn't exist yet in the final form.

Windows Phone 8 isn't even finish. I wouldn't recommend anyone to get a device at launch, too much of a gamble.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Nah, it'll be fine, I'm quite confident of that... I commented elsewhere that the timing isn't a problem or even unusual. Mango went RTM and then released to public within a month as well, and so does pretty much ANY major Microsoft product. It's perfectly normal.

Frenzytom

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The Reel reason

Using the new Super Lens and Ultra PureView enhancer, I uncovered the reel reason Nokia kept it a secret...

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, if I was Nokia I'd have given the finger to The Verge and given another site the exclusive. Not only would Nokia get a much more positive vibe from the piece, but it would reach a wider audience if it was on, say, ABC.

And perhaps it would also send a message to The Verge that they don't own anything, they can't say whatever the **** they want. They have some great people on their team and some great coverage, but it's not the first time they've crossed the line from journalism to childish attention seeking.

If they want to get accusatory and offensive, then they better thicken their skins.

Twitter / joshuatopolsky: MSFT fanboys

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Before the conference Nokia was being very cocky, specially against Samsung. I'm glad everything blow on their faces.

Maybe next time they will give their 100%. I want real pureview Nokia, your phones are already heavy and thick just give us what we want.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Before the conference Nokia was being very cocky, specially against Samsung. I'm glad everything blow on their faces.
Poor Samsung. Poor Samsung who rehashed their GS3 and brought nothing new to the table.

I want real pureview Nokia, your phones are already heavy and thick just give us what we want.
"I" suddenly becomes "we". The mass market has spoken - there's a reason why devices are getting thinner. No one wants a massive camera hump, Lumias are thick but can almost get away with it due to the styling. The 808's module is inexcusable.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Come on bro, we know Nokia has the camera, we know it works great and none of us want a symbian device with lame specs. WE want a real pureview phone, specially after the terrible 900 camera.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

That's ridiculous. You know what "humility" gets you in the business world? Bankruptcy.

Nokia engaged in some friendly smack-talk with Samsung...the same sort of thing that two athletes who actually kind of like each other do before a game. Compared to, I dunno, Apple's billion-dollar lawsuit against Samsung filled with rhetoric and vitriol, and Apple's attempt to bar Galaxy S3 sales with a court injunction, do you think Samsung execs lost ONE MINUTE of sleep over the Nokia "protest" of the Ativ S launch? I'll bet Samsung execs laughed about it just like the rest of us did.

Are Nokia's ads a bit "cocky"? Sure. Who cares? This is capitalism, not group therapy. Cockiness is par for the course.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You can be cocky when you have a better product. That's like when they had those Lumia 900 ads claiming everyone else is a beta tester and their product won't even get updated to Windows Phone 8.

I mean you can't be cocky and then show a fake video and have to be forced to apologized.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
^ Yes you can be cocky even when you don't have those products.

Nokia has very effectively demonstrated that. It knew Lumia 900 won't get Windows Phone 8 even before the launch. It knew Lumia 900 might have bugs to be fixed by various updates, but by being cocky it took that initial doubts from my mind, your mind and rest of the Lumia 900 users mind away.

THAT is the exact reason why Lumia 900 made it to Amazon's top rated phone for nearly 3 months and kept selling well and that's the reason Windows Phone got the recognisation from 1.3% to 4% marketshare in 2012.

Being cocky always puts your competition in doubts, for one slight moment. That is exactly what Nokia needs. With those cocky ads before the Nokia event, we all had the hype, the anticipation going. Believe me, even with those fake ad claims and whatever, everyone who saw Nokia event, who were excited of Nokia's cockiness, will end up buying Lumia 920. Just not you. Because you've taken Nokia's false marketing, advertising and whatever, to your heart. You feel cheated by Nokia as if it was your girlfriend! Nokia is a business, it needs attention, it can and will do whatever is in its capacity to gain that attention because for them it is billions of dollars. Not just one or two customers who will be so pissed and feel cheated as if it is end of the world.

I really wish Nokia becomes more cockier and comes up with even more taunting adverts because THAT competition my friend, is going to give you, me and everyone else the best technology of our time. Honestly, I am enjoying the era of tech since 2010. iPhone has maxed out on innovation, mobile world is maxing out. Only those who bring REAL INNOVATION will survive. That to me and you should mean - excellent products.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)