Lumia 920 demo reel is faked?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
^ Yes you can be cocky even when you don't have those products.

Nokia has very effectively demonstrated that. It knew Lumia 900 won't get Windows Phone 8 even before the launch. It knew Lumia 900 might have bugs to be fixed by various updates, but by being cocky it took that initial doubts from my mind, your mind and rest of the Lumia 900 users mind away.

THAT is the exact reason why Lumia 900 made it to Amazon's top rated phone for nearly 3 months and kept selling well and that's the reason Windows Phone got the recognisation from 1.3% to 4% marketshare in 2012.

Being cocky always puts your competition in doubts, for one slight moment. That is exactly what Nokia needs. With those cocky ads before the Nokia event, we all had the hype, the anticipation going. Believe me, even with those fake ad claims and whatever, everyone who saw Nokia event, who were excited of Nokia's cockiness, will end up buying Lumia 920. Just not you. Because you've taken Nokia's false marketing, advertising and whatever, to your heart. You feel cheated by Nokia as if it was your girlfriend! Nokia is a business, it needs attention, it can and will do whatever is in its capacity to gain that attention because for them it is billions of dollars. Not just one or two customers who will be so pissed and feel cheated as if it is end of the world.

I really wish Nokia becomes more cockier and comes up with even more taunting adverts because THAT competition my friend, is going to give you, me and everyone else the best technology of our time. Honestly, I am enjoying the era of tech since 2010. iPhone has maxed out on innovation, mobile world is maxing out. Only those who bring REAL INNOVATION will survive. That to me and you should mean - excellent products.

That, in advertising terms, is called guerrilla marketing... the brief is simple. "make noise about my product. How you so it is up to you..."

As the great Sun Tzu said in The Art of War:
"All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.?

Good move Nokia..

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You can be cocky when you have a better product. That's like when they had those Lumia 900 ads claiming everyone else is a beta tester and their product won't even get updated to Windows Phone 8.

I mean you can't be cocky and then show a fake video and have to be forced to apologized.

Heh, I don't know judging by the response sounds like they do have a better product. I mean even with the negative press who in the F is talking about the Ativ S right now? Also, I don't know why you keep down playing the technical achievements Nokia has shown us in their 920.

You keep harping on about slim profile and I get that, but if you're looking at things from a tech perspective Nokia brought it with its OIS and PureMotion HD+. **** even something as basic as PPI, Samsung 306 vs Nokia 332.

As for the Lumia 900 ads that was cockiness more for the Windows Phone platform as a whole than Nokia. Why else call it a "beta test" ?

And yeah you can be cocky.The goof with the ad is nothing. You're acting like other companies don't pull that same kind of advertisement. If they had a small disclaimer, which you probably don't even notice in most commercials, you wouldn't be up in arms trying to drag them through the mud. In the end Nokia was just sloppy. There's nothing to truly indicate intent to deceive.

Seriously it's like everyone doesn't want believe that Nokia put out awesome tech in their phone. Is it cuz it's a Windows Phone? The 808 didn't get this flack.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It backfired on them, now everyone is talking about how Nokia is a liar and fraud.

I think the point is, they're still talking about Nokia.

And when the 920 comes out, they'll be on everyone's lips again as people want to see if the phone can really do what it claims.

Keep in mind, Motorola had an event the very same day. But nobody is talking about them at all. That's worse.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
^^

I think that was their motto. Get people talking. This will stay warm till WP announcement and heat up when phones are on the shelves. Who wouldn't wanna go out and check if that phone can actually do what was apparently a "lie" and when they are pleasantly surprised, they will buy it. It won't be the time when 2 Lumias are sitting in one corner while SGS3 or iPhone4S has a crowd like ants on sugar. This time, people will walk to the Lumias, whatever their perception.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I think people will look at the lumia and will be like

Holy camoley look at this yellow phone! is huge!!
Yeah can you imagine owning something like that lol?
Yeah, oh look the Iphone 5 is there, let's get that.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think people will look at the lumia and will be like

Holy camoley look at this yellow phone! is huge!!
Yeah can you imagine owning something like that lol?
Yeah, oh look the Iphone 5 is there, let's get that.

All it takes is word of mouth about how Nokia lied about the camera and people will go "ewwww no thanks I'll go get an iPhone 5 now".

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Apple can still screw up. People had being waiting for the Iphone 5 for almost 2 years. It better be worth it. Galaxy S 3 is too good.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
^ Yes you can be cocky even when you don't have those products.

Nokia has very effectively demonstrated that. It knew Lumia 900 won't get Windows Phone 8 even before the launch. It knew Lumia 900 might have bugs to be fixed by various updates, but by being cocky it took that initial doubts from my mind, your mind and rest of the Lumia 900 users mind away.

That doesn't work in the social economy.

Why?

Because the people who bought into the cocky marketing for Lumia 900 will still have Lumia 900s.

And when people considering 920s (if and when they ship) ask 900 owners about their experience, they'll get something like this:

"Nokia promised the smartphone beta test was over, and that this phone would be revolutionary. Two months later, they stopped software updates and said they knew, the entire time, that my phone was a dead end. My phone won't run new WP8 software, and it's worth 1/3 as much on the resale market as an HTC One X which shipped at the same time and price and DOES get updates. I'd steer clear of anything else they're selling... you can't trust them."

At that point, the cockiness turns to cockiness in bankruptcy court. Not pretty.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Apple can still screw up. People had being waiting for the Iphone 5 for almost 2 years. It better be worth it. Galaxy S 3 is too good.

Yep.

This is why Samsung makes more sense as a premier partner than Nokia. Samsung knows how to give people what they want -- sales numbers don't lie.

ATIV S is a sexy device, and I hope it will be available on my carrier so I can cross-shop it and HTC's offerings.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't work in the social economy.

Why?

Because the people who bought into the cocky marketing for Lumia 900 will still have Lumia 900s.

And when people considering 920s (if and when they ship) ask 900 owners about their experience, they'll get something like this:

"Nokia promised the smartphone beta test was over, and that this phone would be revolutionary. Two months later, they stopped software updates and said they knew, the entire time, that my phone was a dead end. My phone won't run new WP8 software, and it's worth 1/3 as much on the resale market as an HTC One X which shipped at the same time and price and DOES get updates. I'd steer clear of anything else they're selling... you can't trust them."

At that point, the cockiness turns to cockiness in bankruptcy court. Not pretty.

omfg what a crock of bullsh-. Not everyone gets that upset over an update. Get out over your tech world bubble. People that aren't heavily invested in tech just want something that does the job from them, or did you forget the mantra that Apple touted/still touts for years?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
omfg what a crock of bullsh-. Not everyone gets that upset over an update. Get out over your tech world bubble. People that aren't heavily invested in tech just want something that does the job from them, or did you forget the mantra that Apple touted/still touts for years?

That's actually bad for Windows Phone. For a example I though a picture of a friend of mine and inmediatly after I took it, she asked me to edit it with Instangram. I told her my phone doesn't have that app, she looked at me in disbelief and I just said. Well is an old phone ^_^U. She actually said that I throw my phone in the garbage.

Of course, before Windows Phone nokia just send me the lowest of the cheapest phones. So the brand is associated with cheap phones with the exception of the N8.

Another point is that people just sell the windows phones here without telling people how it works, so most people don't even know what Zune is. So passing pictures etc.. is a mess.

Not to mention all the things people expect out of their phones that WP7 just doesn't do.

The average people doesn't want a Windows Phone, much less a Nokia one my friend. They need to bring it hard with Windows Phone 8 and the 920 is not going to cut it.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That's actually bad for Windows Phone. For a example I though a picture of a friend of mine and inmediatly after I took it, she asked me to edit it with Instangram. I told her my phone doesn't have that app, she looked at me in disbelief and I just said. Well is an old phone ^_^U. She actually said that I throw my phone in the garbage.

Of course, before Windows Phone nokia just send me the lowest of the cheapest phones. So the brand is associated with cheap phones with the exception of the N8.

Another point is that people just sell the windows phones here without telling people how it works, so most people don't even know what Zune is. So passing pictures etc.. is a mess.

Not to mention all the things people expect out of their phones that WP7 just doesn't do.

The average people doesn't want a Windows Phone, much less a Nokia one my friend. They need to bring it hard with Windows Phone 8 and the 920 is not going to cut it.

If your friend is exclusively motivated by Instagram, I think you need better friends! :lol: (Kidding, of course.)

Yes, carriers selling Windows Phones know NOTHING about them. Everytime I've gone into a Sprint or AT&T store, I've ended up spending at least a half hour or more showing it to the staffers myself. Several times, I've had at least one of those people say, "wow, that's way better than what I remember from the old days."

I know for the Lumia 900 launch, AT&T employees were required to carry one around for a month as a demo and learn it. I think that definitely helped, but obviously it doesn't hit everyone.

You're entirely right about Microsoft (and their OEM and carrier partners) needing to really get the word out this time around. That said, that's precisely why they put the Modern UI on Windows 8 and Xbox. As people adopt them, they gain exposure to the whole paradigm of tiles and it will spread from there.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well everyone is different, you need to bring everything. The slightest things can make people choose one phone over the other.

When people told about why choose Windows Phone over Android, they always said is smoother. But as someone that uses Slacker Radio every day, I find that assessment hilarious.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

My point is that not everyone is like how he was describing nor are they like your buddy. There are some people that just don't care about Instagram. I mean other countries like India or China probably don't give a **** for certain big name apps. Even if they do they probably care more about their localized version.

Likewise, I really doubt people that aren't in this tech bubble world get that miffed over a missed update that they would lose trust with a phone manufacturer. If that were true, I would imagine there would've been a higher turn over rate a few years ago when HTC and Samsung wouldn't update their Android phones to the latest update.

Anyways we should get back on topic.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well everyone is different, you need to bring everything. The slightest things can make people choose one phone over the other.

When people told about why choose Windows Phone over Android, they always said is smoother. But as someone that uses Slacker Radio every day, I find that assessment hilarious.

Can you clarify on Slacker? I've never used it since I just use Zune to sync my music.

...Likewise, I really doubt people that aren't in this tech bubble world get that miffed over a missed update that they would lose trust with a phone manufacturer. If that were true, I would imagine there would've been a higher turn over rate a few years ago when HTC and Samsung wouldn't update their Android phones to the latest update.

Exactly, which is a battle I always have to fight at work to "know my users" and when I demo things to them, I have to pick the things that matter to them. No point showing off People Hub feeds to someone that doesn't use Facebook/Twitter, but I know they travel so I show them the Local Scout features.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Can you clarify on Slacker? I've never used it since I just use Zune to sync my music.

Slacker Radio is the laggiest piece of garbage in the history of programs. The app has take me as long as 8 minutes from opening the app to play a song.

The app stop playing music just because all the time

Scrolling? hahahaha the app is so slow, so unresponsive, so terrible that it should be illegal to use while driving.

You can chose you favorite stations and pinned them for rapid use but you have to press the play button as much as 25 times.

Don't like a song and want to skip it? Sure just press the button, there's only a 50/50 the apps either closes, freezes or takes as much as 5 minutes to actually start playing.

The app is beautiful and fully feature, with artist biographies and more but is so laggy that I just press play and hope it works.

I've actually had dreams where I win the lottery and go to the programmers homes and just beat them, beat them with a sock full of quarters. Beat them and TP their houses, beat them and waste my lottery money seducing their wives.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise