The dust has settled, what's your assessment of the 920/820?

dreester

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts on the Lumia's

+ PureView
+ Super sensitive touch
+ Display
+ Wireless charging
- Size
- Weight
? No microSD - 32GB is enough?

+ Size
+ Super sensitve touch
+ Exchangeable covers
+ Replaceable battery
+ MicroSD
+ Display - I'm ok with the 'old' screen and resolution
+ Wireless charging
? Weight
? 1650mAh battery - we'll have to wait for reviews
? No Gorilla Glass - you can use your nails or keys on the screen, but will it scratch easily?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Let's discuss whether you think Nokia has done enough with their new 820/920 to grab the NEW customers they need to get WP8 growing and to stop them from becoming extinct.

I have posted elsewhere here, but as a high end GS3 user and 4 yrs of android, Im switching. Funny enough it was installing W8, office 2013 this week that made me think about it, if these new phones were coming out with WP7.8 and there was no WP8, I wouldn't even consider it...

For what it is worth, I think Win8 and the Microsoft surface will drive a lot of sales for WP8 once you start using W8, a WP8 device sort of makes sense and I can remember swearing Id never buy another MS mobile device after WM6.5!!

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
PureView Rear Camera (great image stabilization and low light photos), HD Front Facing Camera, PureMotionHD+ Screen (super sensitive display and more PPI than any other phone out there) and Nokia Exclusive Apps (City Lens, Transport, Pulse, Music, etc) plus Nokia superb support to the Windows Phone platform are the reasons why Lumia 920 will be the best Windows Phone this year.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Vote for Romney:)
Couple of points. The L900 was released in April, so the design has only been out 5 months, not a year. And both phones are different enough from their predecessors to not be confused. Second, all I read about a few months ago was how much the Nokia Lumia camera sucked, and was a show stopper. Now, a camera is not that important? What a difference a season makes.

At the end of the day, you go to the store (or online) and buy the phone of your choice. Everyone has different needs. But knocking phones on the same platform, the platform you (generalizing here, nothing personal) prefer, is bull****. Tell me what you like about your choice, but don't tell me why I shouldn't buy my "choice". And please don't tell me who to vote for either.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Well...

I don't think Nokia has any problems with the form factor, because a LOT of people really liked it, myself included. However, I think the biggest problem is the fact that it's too hard to decide between the two phones. If you've decided you want a WP8 device, then the Nokia phones are definitely at the top of the list. Unless there is a very distinct price difference, I can't see how I'll be able to decide what phone I want. Each has pros the other doesn't. The 920 has the fantastic camera and screen, while the 820 has a sleeker form and interchangeable backs and removable memory and battery.

The biggest problem, however, is the fact that they are both the same phone inside. Same RAM and Chipset- it makes it hard to weigh the pros and cons, and as such their presentation failed because they failed to release carriers, prices, and release dates - some important deciding factors.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Please keep emotions out of this discussion as it leads nowhere. Nowhere did I say what YOU should buy. I was giving my assessment on Nokia's situation. This is a forum to share our opinions.
In regards to your point on people complaining the camera sucked on the 900, it's called a loud minority. You know like the loud minority that cries about how Android is fragmented and updates are few and far between. Yet Android is activating 1.3 Million devices a day. Or how about the loud minority that swears Samsung devices are cheap feeling plastic phones that look uninspiring, yet the GS3 has sold over 20 Million phones in 100 days.
So you see, I want to keep this discussion void of emotions. Let's discuss whether you think Nokia has done enough with their new 820/920 to grab the NEW customers they need to get WP8 growing and to stop them from becoming extinct.
Working in the industry... John & Jane Doe do come in asking for the best camera.

You know how many EVO 4G LTE I've sold because of the camera? I'll go in the camera app and put it on burst mode and just like that "I'll take that".

Or the amount of folks that go with the iPhone 4S over the iPhone 4 because of the 3MP difference. Although MP doesn't mean much, people still believe it does. In the case of the 4S and 4, it's a better lens accompanied with the increased MP.

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
This entire announcement was a mixed bag. Elop really screwed the turkey by saying all of WP8 would be talked about. REALLY got my hopes up and was extremely dissappointed to check WP Central at the end of the day after forcing myself into a media blackout at work. I even removed the WP app from my homescreen as well as engadget to let myself be completely taken aback. Sadly, this did not occur thanks to leaks in the days prior to the event.

The 920 is gorgeous. Everything about the phone screams top of the line. You all know the specs, but their advancements in camera technology, their display improvements over CB+, and the touch screen enhancements from Synaptics make the 920, and by some extension the 820, great devices.

The 920 itself has a very attractive body. I hear alot of people saying "Oh it's just like the 900". Firstly, it's is not exactly the same by any stretch. If you want to get technical, the design of the 900 stretches back over a 16 or so months to the launch of the Nokia N9, which shared an identical shape to the Lumia 800. To say that the 920 is a rehashed design is foolish at best. The 920 is a supreme device and I can't wait to read reviews gushing over it.

The 820, while an attractive device, is a fail. It shares nothing in common with the Lumia 800. It's larger, thicker, flat-glassed, and not a true unibody design as the 920 is. Honestly, the first thing that came to mind when I saw the 820 was my HD7. It's nearly identical in form factor, screen size, and resolution. Winterfang failed hard to say this is a LOW END device. That is hardly the case. This is a SOLID mid-range device. That being said, I can handle the lack of PureView. I can't handle the lack of an HD screen. This, in my eyes, is unacceptable. I was looking forward to 3 devices to be announced: successors to the L900,L800,and L710. Instead, Nokia decided that they couldn't decide what to put in a low-end only device and merged the low and mid-range into one device. My heart sank at the legacy resolution.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Until someone has a 920 and an Ativ in their hand and does a true side by side comparison it's a bit difficult to say which is the better phone. Unless some of those that are so negative toward Nokia have had an exclusive opportunity to do this comparison already?

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Easy choice for me. At first I was really liking the Samsung, but the more I looked at it, it screamed out GS3, and I'm just not fond of the design at all. I had the Samsung Focus and Omnia 7, before getting the Lumia 900. Once Nokia showed off the 920 and all the features, it was a clear cut winner for me. My only grip is not having the Cyan or a deeper blue color, so having to decide on which color will be my hardest decision. Also, another factor, is the support that Nokia puts in behind their products is the best. And their drive to bring developers to the WP platform is outstanding. Nokia just keep pulling at these developers and getting them to build more apps for WP, when the other OEMs, have not brought over one developer/app to our platform(maybe I'm missing one, but I can't think of a single one). I love the design on the 920, wasn't really too impressed with the 820.
Now, I will wait to see what HTC will bring to the table. I will say, I do love the design of the HTC One X and is by far my favorite device on the Android platform. So if HTC could come with a similar design like that for a WP8 device, I will probably switch back and forth as my daily driver for a smartphone.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
how many units sold lumia 900 - Google Search

First, let's dispel the thought the 900 didn't do well because of ATT didn't market the device or because people didn't like the design. It was selling so well at one point Nokia couldn't keep up. And Nokia is one of the largest phone manufactures in the world, not quite as big as Samsung anymore, but still on,the top 5. So people must have liked it. In April 2012 it sold 1.4 million phones. Now i know that's nothing compared to 20 million in 100 days, but one thing went against the Nokia Lumia 900. The 900 was a WP7 destined to be a WP7 forever. I don't know when that was announced, but it probably was within the first 100 days. And everyone knew a bigger better phone (now known as the 920) was on it's way. And that was on day one.

As a side note, this design was first seen on the N9. Just never in the US till 900.

And to answer the question, i am waiting to hear about the next iPhone to see how it compares. If it can compare and go head to head with that phone, it will do fine. I believe it can, and will.

And on the design ... I haven't heard too many complaints, in fact most people love it. So why change a good thing?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
how many units sold lumia 900 - Google Search

First, let's dispel the thought the 900 didn't do well because of ATT didn't market the device or because people didn't like the design. It was selling so well at one point Nokia couldn't keep up. And Nokia is one of the largest phone manufactures in the world, not quite as big as Samsung anymore, but still on,the top 5. So people must have liked it. In April 2012 it sold 1.4 million phones. Now i know that's nothing compared to 20 million in 100 days, but one thing went against the Nokia Lumia 900. The 900 was a WP7 destined to be a WP7 forever. I don't know when that was announced, but it probably was within the first 100 days. And everyone knew a bigger better phone (now known as the 920) was on it's way. And that was on day one.

As a side note, this design was first seen on the N9. Just never in the US till 900.

And to answer the question, i am waiting to hear about the next iPhone to see how it compares. If it can compare and go head to head with that phone, it will do fine. I believe it can, and will.

And on the design ... I haven't heard too many complaints, in fact most people love it. So why change a good thing?
You're quoting WORLDWIDE sales numbers there, not US sales numbers. Total US sales were merely 300,000. Hardly world-beating.

And the time between announcement and shipping was longer than the time it was on the market before the announcement that it would be stuck on WP7.X forever.

This is how NOT to do a fresh relaunch, sadly.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well the Nokia contract was to give Microsoft a chance overseas. Nokia has being helping them extremely well in that regard.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Nokia will probably be able to hold onto a rump base of overseas fans. But their devices and launch strategy aren't competitive in North America, and Microsoft needs to have some success in North America to drive adoption and development.

HTC has been wildly successful in the past in the USA; Samsung is wildly successful now. Nokia has been barely available in the USA for most of the last decade. That's why MS's decision not to push Samsung and HTC hard is so baffling.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep. Nokia will probably be able to hold onto a rump base of overseas fans. But their devices and launch strategy aren't competitive in North America, and Microsoft needs to have some success in North America to drive adoption and development.

HTC has been wildly successful in the past in the USA; Samsung is wildly successful now. Nokia has been barely available in the USA for most of the last decade. That's why MS's decision not to push Samsung and HTC hard is so baffling.

Microsoft partnership with Nokia was done because they want to expand in the overseas market. Nokia is doing this to get into our market in the states, and i believe it's going to work. Look at Samsung, with the Ativ S. It brings nothing special. No release dates. Regular charging and screen that doesn't allow you to use gloves (which, apparently, Apple is rumored to be using themselves). Nokia, sure no release date or price, but they are bringing new technology and features ... Such as wireless charging, Pureview Optics, Pureview HD+ screen with super sensitive touch, and exclusive apps that actually make it hard for me to buy a Samsung Ativ S, or other Windows Phones.

This is what should have been the first Lumia 900, but this phone coming now ... Competing against the the iPhone 6 ... Is the best time for it.

And you still forgetting the Lumia 900, although a flagship, always had a shadow of WP8 and the better specs that will bring at the end of the year.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't care about weight or thickness. Regarding the common Joe, I would say that some would care and others wouldn't. In the store it is difficult to gauge weight since the phones are usually tethered to security apparatus. Perhaps everything else about the phone would be more important than weight or thickness? The average Joe could always choose the 820 instead. I imagine Nokia will have more coming as well.

For me, it's a no go on any of the WP8's until I see one with a landscape slider keyboard.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts on the Lumia's

+ PureView
+ Super sensitive touch
+ Display
+ Wireless charging
- Size
- Weight
? No microSD - 32GB is enough?

+ Size
+ Super sensitve touch
+ Exchangeable covers
+ Replaceable battery
+ MicroSD
+ Display - I'm ok with the 'old' screen and resolution
+ Wireless charging
? Weight
? 1650mAh battery - we'll have to wait for reviews
? No Gorilla Glass - you can use your nails or keys on the screen, but will it scratch easily?
Excellent post that got right to what was asked: What you like, what you don't, what you are not sure of. Thanks.

Man, I can hardly wait for November/December to get here so we can have these debates for real. Right now, it is all off of spec sheets, best guesses, past experiences, and You Tube videos. As it sits right now, Nokia dedication to WP, excellent looking designs, bringing apps to the WP ecosystem (ESPN Radio, PayPay, ect), and support for their devices have nudged them ahead of the Samsung ATIV with me despite my love for my Focus S. But, this is like arguing which car manufacturer is better by watching their commercials during a football game. No test drive, no buy. If I play with a 920 and the ATIV blows it away in my world, makes it easy.

And if we do not even know if these devices will come to a carrier near us, why even get worked up?

c8m6p

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow, people are complaining that it's heavy? Have you ever owned a light phone? I own a Samsung Focus S. It's as light as a feather, and completely gives off the impression that it's a cheap, plastic, mass-produced device. Which it is. It's one of the main negatives about this phone. I take off the battery cover off this device and I'm dissapointed at how flimsy and crappy this thing is put together. The screen is nice, but there's more to it than that.

I go and pick up an iPhone 4s and it feels so, so much better due to the extra weight quality of materials. It feels like a premium device. The Samsung feels like a mass-produced Toyota Corolla whereas the iPhone feels like an AMG mercedes.

Give me a break about the weight. I've owned an iPhone, BB Bold, and Samsung Focus S. Each for 2 years. The iPhone by far felt the best despite being the heaviest. In fact, the heaviness played a large part in how solid the device feels.

WP OS is a great OS, better than any out there IMO, and I'm glad a manufacturer is finally delivering quality devices. When my contracts up I would choose a 920 over Ativ S, hands down. No question. The Ativ S is a one in a billion clone of every other Samsung phone out there. Only plus I see with the Ativ S is the removable storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234