Calling Back the Dogs on My Nokia 920/820 Rants.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What other OS feature list could anything appear on? iOS 6 is done and waiting for next week to be released it has been pretty much done now for a while and their Premiere Devolpers probably had access to it before all the other developers to boot. Android 4.1? Jelly Bean is STILL being rolled out why on earth is Google going to make anymore major changes for the near future.

And anyways what major feature from Mango even got stolen to put into the other OS's that by know a few months earlier the other major OS companies managed to also implement in a timely fashion?

Microsoft ‘flattered’ with Apple’s iOS 5 Windows Phone features | WinRumors

Windows Phone boss 'flattered' by Android 4.0 copycat features

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, that doesn't explain the alarming way that they've handled the SDK release. To me, the fact that you have to apply to get a copy of the SDK is a huge red flag and proof that it's not ready for prime time yet. They still haven't announced when the SDK will be available to the general public, or even to all registered paying developers!

They can still add consumer features without revealing them in the SDK. Asking developers to pay $100 a year and then making them wait so long for an SDK is unacceptable in my opinion.

After the Mango fiasco and the recent SDK leak is it any wonder they go that route? I think it's a sign of them being cautious. Only thing to hope for is that their full hand wasn't played by that WP8 SDK leak.

As for the consumer features, some have to be added in. How else is a developer going to know how to make full use of them or whether they can do the things they want to do with their app?

exsanguine

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
As for the consumer features, some have to be added in. How else is a developer going to know how to make full use of them or whether they can do the things they want to do with their app?

I have a metaphor that might explain it:
They gave the dev's a car with primer on it. It will drive like it is supposed too, steer like it is supposed too, and feel like it is supposed too -- it just doesn't have the shiny paint on it yet.

Don't forget that no matter when the official WP8 is released, Nokia gets it 30 days before all other OEM's.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a metaphor that might explain it:
They gave the dev's a car with primer on it. It will drive like it is supposed too, steer like it is supposed too, and feel like it is supposed too -- it just doesn't have the shiny paint on it yet.

Somehow that doesn't feel like an accurate metaphor. For example, the new Lens feature, it was in the SDK leak. If I'm a developer and I want to make an app that has deep interoperability with the camera, how the **** am I gonna build that if it's not in the SDK to begin with? I have no way of testing it or determining what I program will behave like I want it to.

I don't think you can analogize that kind of interoperability as if it were a cosmetic feature.

So yeah some consumer features have to be added in. Maybe the question should be when they should be added in, but I don't see how or why MS would exclude/favor one batch of app developers over another.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Honestly i think they had a "MASSIVE" amount of idea's for wp8 and needed to hand pick most of the new key features in wp8 from a huge list of employees at corporate headquarters. From what i have seen of wp8 demoed so far it is no where near polished for prime time. Take for example cross styling integration from windows 8. Almost none of the transitions that we have seen so far are the same. They have not yet even showed us multitasking on the new os, heck maybe its still the same or maybe they were trying to cram in some key idea's from win8. The charms bar for windows 8 is a HUGE new feature and so far we have seen not didilysquat of shown in wp8, that is if they even have started including the charm bar features. But hey maybe the 3 dotted app menu is microsofts answer to the charms bar.

Stuff i predict we will see at build, but who really knows for sure they could be saving all these features for an 8.5 update :dry
  • universal 3 dotted menu button
  • same app transitions from windows 8
  • a REAL file explorer
  • picture password
  • login screen that supports multiple accounts
  • start menu app groups with a zoom out button icon
  • drag down from top to close apps
  • a multitasking layout more like windows 8
  • UNIVERSAL SEARCH. This would be Exactly the same as on windows 8
  • This might be a given. But a notification center branded with the name "Action Center" as is on windows 8
  • startmenu wallpapers. i can actually see this as possible, because of how much space there would be if the startmenu had the app list, main menu, and action center in one place that you pan around.
  • syncable prefferances between pc,phone, and xbox. perferably wallpapers, cross device apps, settings, etc
I am not betting on this at all but its very possible that they may be holding back a huge amount of features for whatever comes after 8.0

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
...and further evidence(?) that OEM shouldn't be blamed. Boy do I look bad

As Nokia waits, Microsoft fights to keep Windows Phone 8 on schedule | The Verge

t's all hands on deck at Microsoft right now: with a variety of high-visibility phone launches from partners scheduled before the end of the year, the company has not yet finished the Windows Phone 8 software, The Verge has learned.

Of course it is a rumor and the Verge has been wrong many times ( cough amazon phone )

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey Fido...come on back...here boy <whistle>

I've done my share of being upset at Nokia for their presentation and lack of specifics on release dates, carriers support, pricing and blah blah blah. I have now changed my mind and believe that MS sort of backed them into a corner.

I now believe that WP8 is just not ready yet hence the reason why Nokia was so adamant that reviewers on navigate to specific sections of the phone.

I base this 'speculation' on:
- The WP8 sdk is late according to MS previous releases of SDK. May 2011 all developers had access to the 7.5 SDK even though the product was released in Nov 2011

-Joe B, coming on stage and having nothing to talk again about tile re-sizing like he did in June, and the people's hub

- MS only letting tier 1 or 2 development houses gain access to the SDK on Sept 12.

- Paul Thourott/ Mary Jo being told by source that June Conference was going to be the be revealed but things changed and hence the 2x reminders by Joe B that user features would come later

- June 2012, MS employees working on WP8 were told to cancel their vacations....at least according to this person

So I'll call the dogs off on Nokia as Samsung didn't show anything, nor pricing...nor carriers either.

The OEM are ready to go and they are held up, so I can see why some CEO type would just say show something as they see the Apple train steaming their way. Personally I would have done something different by that just me. Amazon had their press conference and the Kindle Fire HD 4G LTE will not be ready until Nov 20th :shocked:

Also, this is not a MS bashing post as I understand the software development cycle, and things always pop up that were planned or accounted for. Shrinking down Windows to a phone sounds massive! There's a reason why Apple choose a new OS and added features over time. Not saying which appoach is better nor do I care. so I'll just wait and watch my beloved Cleveland Browns get trashed for 13 years in a row...

Good news (my spin ) when MS reveals the OS they will be ready to say...now go buy it!!

I'll only accept this if you promise that your next rant starts with WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!!!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The problem is this: it doesn't matter whose fault the poor performance is.

If it's Nokia's inability to get its act together (which, frankly, is part of the problem -- just look at the cameras that don't yet reliably work), or if it's Microsoft's inability to ship a functioning WP8, it doesn't matter.

All that matters is that consumers won't be able to buy these allegedly-hot handsets in time for the holidays and the huge upgrade cycle we're now going into.

If WP8 misses the window, it's not fatal for Samsung or HTC, who have strong businesses in other areas. It's almost certainly going to be fatal for Nokia.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
something is critically wrong at Microsoft. CRITICALLY! WHAT THE **** have they been doing for the last YEAR since announcing Apollo? And then just the other day they come out asking for feature suggestions for 7.8.....WHAT. THA. F....! In order to deliver 7.8 "soon after wp8" they should have had the features locked down MONTHS ago.

If WP8 misses it is all over.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yep. If it turns out that MS didn't have WP8 ready and still made the decision to shoot WP7 in the head in June and tank all WP sales while not having something new ready to ship, it will go down in the annals of history as one of tech's greatest blunders... right up there with Osborne and the Apple III.

Nokia will also have some explaining to do to investors, in so much as they'll have to justify a "bet the company" move with a partner who didn't deliver.

I hope the "WP8 isn't done" rumors are wrong, because it needs to be finished. If it isn't finished and ready to ship, then WP is done for at least another year.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Calling Steven Sinofsky....calling Steven Sinofsky

I wonder who is running the Windows Phone Division? I remember when Jim Allchin ran the Windows division for the vista release and he was replaced by Sinofskyand the culture was changed where they met the hard release dates.

Maybe Sinofsky should run the division so that beta version are released months ahead. I think(?) Terry Myerson runs the windows phone division so he should be sweating right about now...

I do believe they'll get it done but don't expect the software to be rock solid...I mean it can be this late in the game. Rock solid software comes from testing and testing and testing...weeks...months. WP v8.1 should be good to go but the reputation will be hit.

People hated Vista as it took several SP to get it right
People loved Window 7 because it was solid.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The problem is this: it doesn't matter whose fault the poor performance is.

If it's Nokia's inability to get its act together (which, frankly, is part of the problem -- just look at the cameras that don't yet reliably work), or if it's Microsoft's inability to ship a functioning WP8, it doesn't matter.

All that matters is that consumers won't be able to buy these allegedly-hot handsets in time for the holidays and the huge upgrade cycle we're now going into.

If WP8 misses the window, it's not fatal for Samsung or HTC, who have strong businesses in other areas. It's almost certainly going to be fatal for Nokia.

So they missed the early October window.

November 2nd isn't in time for the holidays? Are they missing the huge Halloween push? :happy:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The article says that they're just working out bugs at the moment. I'm sure it will be ready for launch around the time Windows 8 comes out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb