What would you like smartphones manifacturers to focus on?

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I chose "Better Overall Performances and Specs" as that includes battery performance IMO.

I can never get enough performance & specs, especially when it comes to cameras.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
My vote for: Better Overall Performances and Specs.

Cause, if u have a better optimization and performance, your battery life will automatically be sorted.

On the other hand, no matter how good ur battery is, if its a resource hogger, it will drain quicker..

my two pens...

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I would also like incremental volume increase on ringtones....I used to use this all the time on my old Nokia's... ringer starts low and gets louder the longer it rings. ;)

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd say price.

With 2 kids, a mortgage, etc, ?500 for a phone is a bit of a luxury, especially when i barely ever use it as a phone.

Part of me is tempted to just get a ?10 PAYG mobile, and a 7" tablet with a 3G connection.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Battery tech certainly flounders in comparison to other areas of innovation. Ideally, we need a breakthrough - else, the option is to either make a run-of-the-mill device with huge battery, or stuff heaps of components in and the device gets thick.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd say price.

With 2 kids, a mortgage, etc, ?500 for a phone is a bit of a luxury, especially when i barely ever use it as a phone.

Part of me is tempted to just get a ?10 PAYG mobile, and a 7" tablet with a 3G connection.
The problem is that some phones that are out there would cost way more if they were not produced in china... so I think that they just can't be cheaper...

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I voted for better performance but after a little more thought, I think I'd prefer better batteries. I'm very impressed with the current performance of the phones out there right now but I'd like to be able to use them to their full capabilities for longer periods of time without having to recharge them.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The only 'envy' I get in looking at other devices right now is battery life. I went and purchased a 'double' battery for my Focus and loved that it added some extra 'heft' to my phone and made it a little thicker (though the new back panel was shoddy and fell apart within months and they didn't 'know' what happened thus not replacing it).

I wish folks wouldn't be so concerned with the 'thinness' of the phone, I don't mind the size of the L920 at all, but I wish they were able to squeeze a bigger battery into it... that new Razr Maxx with the 3000+mAH battery is cool...

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I wish folks wouldn't be so concerned with the 'thinness' of the phone, I don't mind the size of the L920 at all, but I wish they were able to squeeze a bigger battery into it... that new Razr Maxx with the 3000+mAH battery is cool...

I had the original Droid RAZR and the Galaxy S III for a little while and I must say that it they were so thin that I found them a little awkward to hold. I'd take a slightly thicker phone if it meant that it was more ergonomic and had better battery life.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As I understand it (I don't live in the U.S.), the main reason U.S. residents buy their phones through carriers is because U.S. carriers don't have compatible networks. You can't just buy a phone and choose any carrier you like. However, every carrier world wide is currently transitioning to LTE. LTE is poised to become the worlds first global phone radio standard.
Well, not yet. The iPhone5 is being released with 3 different LTE models worldwide, and it still does not cover all of the available LTE variables/bands. Also, phones still need backward compatibility to GSM/CDMA bands until LTE replaces everything, everywhere. So a truly global experience is a long way off.

And fear not, as soon as LTE is about 60% rolled out globally, some nimrod will come out with something even better, and carriers with jump over LTE to the new, better network, causing continual fragmentation. A true global experience will most likely never happen.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Personally I am tired of seing all those "revolutionary" improvements in performance, but not much improvements in terms of battery life.
From what I understand, those revolutionary batteries already exist, but only in the laboratory. Problem is, if you were to accidentally run over your 10000mAh phone with you car, they would need to call in a hazmat team for the cleanup, you would definitely need a new tire, and might need a respirator to breathe till they found you some new lungs. A soon as they can figure out how to make them safely, we will get the battery joy we all long for.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The only 'envy' I get in looking at other devices right now is battery life. I went and purchased a 'double' battery for my Focus and loved that it added some extra 'heft' to my phone and made it a little thicker (though the new back panel was shoddy and fell apart within months and they didn't 'know' what happened thus not replacing it).

Thin phones brings innovations, look at the iPhone 5, no it's not revolutionary at all, but hey, it not far from the Lumia in terms of specs and it's way smaller... this is innovation, pushing the limits is important.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the Retina display fad is over. There's enough PPIs for the flagships anyway.

Battery life is my priority. I wish Motorola was independent and made WP devices because I will want that sort of battery life on a WP, and I can live with Motorola's design choices. I can even have a slightly thicker phone too just so I need not live in the fear of my L900 dying on me halfway through my day.

hcoreyh

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
CNET recently had an article about some multiple new battery technologies in devolpement which seem much more effective. don't have time to find the link sorry.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Personally I am tired of seing all those "revolutionary" improvements in performance, but not much improvements in terms of battery life.

So my vote goes to Better batteries.
I did 8 months of internship at RIM and can say that there is a very specific reason that batteries haven't improved much in the past 5-7 years.

I got the chance to sit through 4 hours of presentations from the battery team seeing how they are tackling the problem. The problem is that we have pretty much reached the limit of what is possible with lithion ion.

There have been successful attempts to use silicon and other inherently non conductive materials in these batteries but they are only squeezing fractions of percents out of it. The capacity chart plateaued years ago and these batteries are ridiculously complex in their design. I wouldn't have believed how much tech goes into those batteries if I didn't see it for myself.

The improvement will come from using less power now, not by increasing the battery capacity per unit of size. Improvements in how the radios and chips conserve power is where they are going with the tech.

Probably the most important points I got out of the presentation that I can actually talk about: Draining the battery almost completely shortens it's lifespan drastically (it's best to charge it whenever you can, I simply charge mine every night regardless of how much or how little power I used during the day), and always use official batteries for your devices. The tech put into those batteries prevents a number of catastrophic reactions that can occur from charging, draining, etc. 3rd party companies cheap out on these protections. Remember; a common smart phone battery, if these protections aren't in place, can explode with the force of a stick of TNT.

I have seen snippets of technology that is being researched at universities including a battery type that uses butane as fuel and has the potential to be charged in seconds with more butane, but last for 5-7 days. So though we have reached the peaks of what we can do with current batteries, there is always research going on for newer, better ideas.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I did 8 months of internship at RIM and can say that there is a very specific reason that batteries haven't improved much in the past 5-7 years.

I got the chance to sit through 4 hours of presentations from the battery team seeing how they are tackling the problem. The problem is that we have pretty much reached the limit of what is possible with lithion ion.

There have been successful attempts to use silicon and other inherently non conductive materials in these batteries but they are only squeezing fractions of percents out of it. The capacity chart plateaued years ago and these batteries are ridiculously complex in their design. I wouldn't have believed how much tech goes into those batteries if I didn't see it for myself.

The improvement will come from using less power now, not by increasing the battery capacity per unit of size. Improvements in how the radios and chips conserve power is where they are going with the tech.

Probably the most important points I got out of the presentation that I can actually talk about: Draining the battery almost completely shortens it's lifespan drastically (it's best to charge it whenever you can, I simply charge mine every night regardless of how much or how little power I used during the day), and always use official batteries for your devices. The tech put into those batteries prevents a number of catastrophic reactions that can occur from charging, draining, etc. 3rd party companies cheap out on these protections. Remember; a common smart phone battery, if these protections aren't in place, can explode with the force of a stick of TNT.

I have seen snippets of technology that is being researched at universities including a battery type that uses butane as fuel and has the potential to be charged in seconds with more butane, but last for 5-7 days. So though we have reached the peaks of what we can do with current batteries, there is always research going on for newer, better ideas.

I had some idea but this is enlightening.

Still, one hopes that the manufacturers can do it like Motorola, or really have a laser focus on getting their stuff work with lesser power. It will be good if we can get back to the days of charging our phones once every 2 days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb