So do you think the 920 looks cheap because it's glossy?

Bentstraight

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have to ask, many here felt the polycarbonate GS3 looked cheap because it had a glossy finish. And they felt the matte finish of the 900 made a difference. So what's your opinion now since Nokia has gone with the same glossy polycarbonate look as the GS3. I personaly have never had a problem with the gloss.
I also feel many seem to equate lightness to cheap feel which is quite unfortunate. Because the GS3 feels as solid as any phone out there, and there's no creaking of it's polycarbonate shell when you hold it. So the only real difference between the S3 and other polycarbonate phones was it's weight and glossy finish. So....

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind matte or gloss really, but I'd prefer matte. Gloss scratches way to easy on most phones I've had even in cases so I prefer matte. I wonder how durable this gloss finish will end up being?

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Glossy is good, my gf have a GS3 and it does not feel cheap, it's a nice piece of hardware. Samsung is getting a lot of bashing these days, but they make good devices.

The Lumia is good looking glossy or not.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the OP that a lot of people equate lightness and plastic with cheap build quality these days when it might not be the case. The HD7 got a bad rap when it came out just because it had a thin, plastic battery cover. I gave that phone a lot of beating through daily use and it held up fine.

With that said I don't find the glossy finish to look cheap. A lot of people put a cover over it anyway so you probably won't see it too often.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Glossy often looks cheap. Glossy scratches easily. And worst of all, glossy is SLIPPERY. I used to drop my original Sprint Palm Pre on a several-times-a-week basis because of its slippery (non-inductive) back. It would shoot right out of my hands like a bar of soap.

A few of those drops did it in and smashed it. The later Pre I had with an inductive charging back was matte plastic and MUCH less slippery.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
IMO the gloss on the Lumia 920 doesnt make it look cheap, also it does not feel cheap. I heard that the gloss white Lumia 900 felt cheap but I have never held or touched a white lumia so I cant say how it compares to the 920.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The GS3 is one of the cheapest feeling smartphones I have ever held. The plastic/rubbery bendable back is just awful
I'm holding one at the moment and it does not feel cheap, I don't know you like your phone to be made of gold with incrusted diamonds but the GS3 feels solid, in fact the Lumia 900 feels a little more like a toy to me... even if it's heavier.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen it in person but from videos & pics I think the glossy finish looks much better. I was going to buy a cyan 900 until I saw it in person and thought it looked cheap. The bright colors look better glossy, black and gray matte finish is better. I think they did it the right way. Although I may change my mind when I actually see the phones.

I never owned a GS3 but while playing with it it seemed to be much better built than the Galaxy I did own.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'd take matte any day of the week. I'm not a huge fan of the glossy 920s, and unless they really stun me when I see them in person it will probably be black for me.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
In some markets glossy equal high quality ( thinking piano finish )

In some markets glossy equals cheap. I run a photo business on the side and I always always give customers the most matte finish as possible. Glossy photos is equated with cheaper photos.

Glossy car finish = great
Glossy wall paint = cheap
Glossy wine glasses = great
Glossy fingernail polish = greawt

Non-reflective coating on eyeglasses = premium

I do know this, a lot of consumers do not like the look of fingerprints...whether its walls, phones, TV bezels, photos, laptops, desks, power tools, and etc.

So who can figure out the mind of the consumer?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
No, my 800 has become somewhat glossy on the edges from wear and tear. It doesn't take away the feeling of great quality. And with the 920 getting the curved screen like the 800 I feel it will be pretty much the same.

Add performance to that look and feel and You have a winner.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb