So are large screen sizes (>4.5") no longer needed for a phone to be called flagship?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Of course I am talking about the HTC 8X here.

I thought that the Lumia 920 was pushing the lower limit with a 4.5" screen. I am not sure 4.3" cuts it in this day and age of consuming media and the amount of web browsing people do on their smartphones.

Discuss...

Last edited:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Funny isn't it. You've got people complaining about the WP flagship devices having too bigger screens, you have people complaining about the screens being too small.

Its almost as if one size doesn't fit all.

Lets just hope WP is successful enough with its launch devices, to spawn a bigger array of devices in future.

InfectedPhreak

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I have a 3.7 inch display on my HTC Droid Incredible, and I think that's too small. I cramp my thumb just trying to one hand reply to texts, and other stuff. I think 4 inch display would be a lot better, and I think 4.5 and onward would just be awkward because I've never actually owned a device that big. That would definitely be taking some getting used to. Nonetheless, I definitely enjoy the 4.3 of the 8X and the 4.5 of the L920.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I really want the norm to return to 4.3", and perhaps with some proper mid-range offerings at 3.7-4.0". At the very least, I don't see why we can't have a few reasonably sized flagships. And as for the "bigger device means for space for components" argument, Apple is doing just fine with a razor thin chassis at 4.0".

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why companies dont just make the same phones in different sizes. Are they that out of touch with the world that they don't realize everyone doesn't want the biggest screen available? Some people want a smaller screen for their lil itty bitty hands. There's no problem with that. Females would benefit from this. And I could see some less power user females buying then a vibrantly colored, well spec, but smaller HTC phone. Nokia went all huge on folks. While that doesn't bother me...my wife likes Nokia phones and was like WTF at the larger 920.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I think 4.3" is just about the sweet spot and I'm happy to see that all of the manufacturer's aren't abandoning "smaller" sized screens. I thought the Galaxy S III was just about too big as I was sometimes afraid that I would bend the phone in half if I sat down with it in my pocket. I don't think I'll have that issue with the 920 since it has a much more solid construction than the Samsung. Not everyone needs a huge screen to feel like they have the best phone. I will almost never watch videos on my phone so I can "make do" with only a 4.5" screen.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why companies dont just make the same phones in different sizes.

Surely its obvious.

Anything brought in bulk will have price points which reduce the price of components.

Even if just the screen and case are different, thats still twice the testing (at Microsoft, OEM, & carrier) levels, more certification costs, etc.

Thats not forgetting the inevitiable moaning that the bigger phone has 20% empty space, so the OEM should have included feature X or Y.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
To answer the OP question, no I don't think the size of the screen should matter. Screen size is just one of many variables that determine what makes a flagship phone. To me flagship always meant the best a company had to offer in a total package but bigger doesn’t an always mean better, especially as we approach such large screens. I personally feel a four inch screen should be the minimum standard.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think flagship has less to do with screen size and more to do with specs, design, and quality of components (screen, camera, etc.)

Screen size is purely just a personal preference, there is no "better" screen size

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My Optimus 3.8 screen is definitely too small. I'm also saddened by their decision of not copying the One X completely.

Maybe they don't want Samsung to slaughter them again. But this time in here.

HTC might had sold more Windows Phones than everyone else but, out of the original Windows Phone 7 devices, Samsung Focus represented a whopping 90% of devices bought in the united states.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
HTC might had sold more Windows Phones than everyone else but, out of the original Windows Phone 7 devices, Samsung Focus represented a whopping 90% of devices bought in the united states.
Really? Source please.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Based on the pricing for the 8x (and partly specs), HTC did not intend for this to be a high end device nor a Titan successor.

I think the huge flop of the Titan II may have convinced HTC to rethink its ultra high end Windows Phone strategy; because, both the Titan and Titan II were superior in form factor respects to Android counterparts when first released.

The Titan II was definitely a mistake. It wasn't a big enough step up from the original Titan and, while the original Titan could definitely be considered the original WP7.5 flagship, interest had cooled both in part from its bugginess and heavy Lumia marketing. No point in rereleasing the Titan.

So, assuming the ATIV S is high end, we have 4.8" and 4.5" for the WP flagships. Nokia has always had a tendency to make fatter phones with smaller displays so it's not out of the ordinary. (Nokia is improving on this front, though.) No high end from HTC. 8S will have cutthroat, borderline low end pricing.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure 4.3" cuts it in this day and age of consuming media and the amount of web browsing people do on their smartphones.

Not everyone has the same sized hands; neither does everyone have the same usage scenarios, right? Its personal preference. Just like color doesn't define what makes a flagship phone, neither should screen size. These are the things that actually make a display "flagship worthy":

1) PPI above 300 (how much above 300 is rather irrelevant to the human eye)
2) low reflectivity (like Nokia's ClearBlack technology)
3) good brightness, great contrast and natural color reproduction
4) switching times from gray-gray (unfortunately never on the spec-sheet for phones)

If your display is top-of-the-line in all these categories, it is worthy of being called a flagship display and it is worthy of being part of a flagship device, no matter what the size.

Don't get me wrong though... sometimes size does matter ;)

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Based on the pricing for the 8x (and partly specs), HTC did not intend for this to be a high end device nor a Titan successor.

I think the huge flop of the Titan II may have convinced HTC to rethink its ultra high end Windows Phone strategy; because, both the Titan and Titan II were superior in form factor respects to Android counterparts when first released.

The Titan II was definitely a mistake. It wasn't a big enough step up from the original Titan and, while the original Titan could definitely be considered the original WP7.5 flagship, interest had cooled both in part from its bugginess and heavy Lumia marketing. No point in rereleasing the Titan.

So, assuming the ATIV S is high end, we have 4.8" and 4.5" for the WP flagships. Nokia has always had a tendency to make fatter phones with smaller displays so it's not out of the ordinary. (Nokia is improving on this front, though.) No high end from HTC. 8S will have cutthroat, borderline low end pricing.

There are only a few things that aren't high end about that 8x and they are debatable.

16gb of space
Possible 2.1 blue tooth
Screen size (HIGHLY DEBATABLE!)
1GB ram

Care to name a few more? Just because the Nokia is touting it's pureview tech doesn't mean it's proven. They touted the Carl Zeiss before and that failed. Nothing is certain until it's in our hands.

Reflective screen....HTC claims you can see it well outside to. They just don't brag and say that it's some great technology.

Super Sensitive touch, not many phones have it. Probably not any except for the 920. I couldn't use a phone with gloves anyways. People forget about the accuracy of such a thing. I've been there and done that before on a real keyboard. Not as great as your would think.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Its almost as if one size doesn't fit all.

Bingo!

I've used phones with screens from 3.1" to 4.65". I've found that my favorite size is 4.3". It fits perfectly in my hand, I can reach everything effortlessly with my thumb, and it fits much better in my pocket. I have big hands by the way, so don't bother with that "oh you must have small hands" argument. :p

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes.

Flagship
1.The ship in a fleet that carries the commanding admiral.
2.The best or most important thing owned or produced by a particular organization

It's their best WP8 phone so yes, by definition, it is a flagship device.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
So are large screen sizes (>4.5") no longer needed for a phone to be called flagship?

I think the iPhone 5 switching from 3.5" to 4.0" is an admission that 3.5" was too small, but also a strong mission statement that bigger isn't always better. The 8X seems to be the same mentality. Smaller than the Ativ S (4.3" instead of 4.8") but same resolution, same processer, and possibly higher-quality screen and camera.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Reflective screen....HTC claims you can see it well outside to. They just don't brag and say that it's some great technology.

Don't get me wrong. HTC also has good displays. However, Nokia currently holds the world record in low-reflectivity displays. I would say that does give them the right to brag a little.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans