iPhone now or wait for WP8?

ahhk22

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been having a hard time deciding between the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920. Got a message from my carrier that I can pick up an iPhone tomorrow, so I'm really tempted to go with the first product available unless someone can talk me out of it. My last phone was a Lumia 800 (lost), which I liked quite a lot except for the limited selection of apps and lack of VPN support. I was an iPhone 3Gs owner, so know the iPhone is a solid product and works nicely with my Macbook Air and iPad.

What I really like about Windows Phone are the office apps. I use word and excel docs extensively for for both work and personal stuff and love being able to update documents on the cloud whenever I'm on the go. This is the main attraction of WP8, aside from the generally nice user interface. Is there an equivalent app solution for the iPhone?

The iPhone screen is slightly small for my tastes, while the 920 is slightly big and rather heavy. I might be willing to wait a month or so for the 920 if: there's no comparable document solution for iOS, the camera is substantially better, there's a high likelihood of VPN support, and IF the price is somewhat lower than the exorbitant iPhone price to compensate for the smaller app selection. Any thoughts?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
iOS doesn't have MS Office, but an iPhone will be smaller, thinner and lighter than the 920. Any reason you're not considering the handsets from HTC and Samsung?

ahhk22

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer the 4.3" size of the 820 and the HTC 8X, but the superior camera makes the 920 more attractive. Also like Nokia drive and downloadable maps. It's a shame that you need to go for a huge screen size these days to get the best specs.

Is there no other cloud-based document solution for iOS?

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a hard time deciding between the iPhone 5 and the Lumia 920. Got a message from my carrier that I can pick up an iPhone tomorrow, so I'm really tempted to go with the first product available unless someone can talk me out of it. My last phone was a Lumia 800 (lost), which I liked quite a lot except for the limited selection of apps and lack of VPN support. I was an iPhone 3Gs owner, so know the iPhone is a solid product and works nicely with my Macbook Air and iPad.

What I really like about Windows Phone are the office apps. I use word and excel docs extensively for for both work and personal stuff and love being able to update documents on the cloud whenever I'm on the go. This is the main attraction of WP8, aside from the generally nice user interface. Is there an equivalent app solution for the iPhone?

The iPhone screen is slightly small for my tastes, while the 920 is slightly big and rather heavy. I might be willing to wait a month or so for the 920 if: there's no comparable document solution for iOS, the camera is substantially better, there's a high likelihood of VPN support, and IF the price is somewhat lower than the exorbitant iPhone price to compensate for the smaller app selection. Any thoughts?
So far, there haven't been any clues if WP8 will get VPN support. Keep in mind that the main focus for WP has always been consumers, not corporate users. With MS's new focus of adding much needed enterprise/corporate "features", I would imagine some VPN support should be coming.

I for one am not a fan of any Apple products, so I would be extremely biased in saying wait for Windows Phone 8 devices. So far, there is nothing IMO that Apple has done to push their products forward, past others.

Plus, the whole experience of Windows Phone is refreshing to me. Add Office, casual gaming with Xbox Live, Zune Pass (most likely to be renamed Xbox Music Pass), and fact Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 share the same kernel and same base runtime, app development should be MUCH easier for devs. I certainly see the Windows Store app gap to shorten by next year.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I respect you for asking in this site. You kinda knew which way we would vote, huh?

There are solid reasons why you should wait:

-WP8 hasn't even been completely announced yet. The enhanced features you are looking for may be coming, and in a package that you may love.

-The devices are not released yet. There is no reason to grab anything, including a WP over the iPhone, without trying out your options. That is the fun part.

-The ecosystem for WP8 is going to be leaps and bounds better than WP 7. The experience as well. You know what iOS is going to bring. Give the unknown a chance to win you over.

-Lastly, it is not like it's a bad idea to let the iPhone 5 get tried out by the millions of other users first to be sure it is worth the buy. Even if WP8 ends up not being for you, a 60 day or so wait (November for products getting released) might show iPhone users having problems with their new devices. Why not let THEM find it out and not you? If it is as smooth and efficient as other iPhones have been, you can buy with confidence.

ahhk22

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I respect you for asking in this site. You kinda knew which way we would vote, huh?

There are solid reasons why you should wait:

-WP8 hasn't even been completely announced yet. The enhanced features you are looking for may be coming, and in a package that you may love.

-The devices are not released yet. There is no reason to grab anything, including a WP over the iPhone, without trying out your options. That is the fun part.

-The ecosystem for WP8 is going to be leaps and bounds better than WP 7. The experience as well. You know what iOS is going to bring. Give the unknown a chance to win you over.

-Lastly, it is not like it's a bad idea to let the iPhone 5 get tried out by the millions of other users first to be sure it is worth the buy. Even if WP8 ends up not being for you, a 60 day or so wait (November for products getting released) might show iPhone users having problems with their new devices. Why not let THEM find it out and not you? If it is as smooth and efficient as other iPhones have been, you can buy with confidence.
I agree with everything you say, but the option of having a new phone TOMORROW is immensely appealing. I've been using a crappy old android phone that I can barely stand and meanwhile I'm spending an hour or more reading about phone rumors every day instead of the thousand other more important things in my life. Another 30-60 days of this will be quite a diversion. It would be something if Nokia provided a firm launch date and pricing information, as well as info about VPN so I can know exactly what the tradeoff is, but I don't even know that. And who's to say that the Lumia 920 won't have a bunch of early-adopter issues as well? It took several months and two updates before my Lumia 800 had acceptable battery life and promised apps like Nokia Drive, and a full 7 months before it had wifi tethering. If both products were available tomorrow, I would go with the 920, but Nokia isn't making it easy.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I actually prefer the 4.3" size of the 820 and the HTC 8X, but the superior camera makes the 920 more attractive. Also like Nokia drive and downloadable maps. It's a shame that you need to go for a huge screen size these days to get the best specs.

Is there no other cloud-based document solution for iOS?
I own the Lumia 900, and it's not that heavy of a device. Granted, it's no feather weight like the Focus 2 (which I also owned.) But, I like some heft to my devices. With the Focus 2, I was always afraid it would slip out of my hands, or was too fragile and break in my pocket. The specs for the 8X look impressive, as I'm a fan of Beats Audio. As snowmutt said above, there is no point rushing into a purchase. I'm 99% set on getting the Lumia 920, but I certainly would love to see how the 8X compares.

ChrisLynch

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everything you say, but the option of having a new phone TOMORROW is immensely appealing. I've been using a crappy old android phone that I can barely stand and meanwhile I'm spending an hour or more reading about phone rumors every day instead of the thousand other more important things in my life. Another 30-60 days of this will be quite a diversion. It would be something if Nokia provided a firm launch date and pricing information, as well as info about VPN so I can know exactly what the tradeoff is, but I don't even know that. And who's to say that the Lumia 920 won't have a bunch of early-adopter issues as well? It took several months and two updates before my Lumia 800 had acceptable battery life and promised apps like Nokia Drive, and a full 7 months before it had wifi tethering. If both products were available tomorrow, I would go with the 920, but Nokia isn't making it easy.
It's not Nokia that is holding back. They have to coordinate with MS and carriers. No one is stopping you from getting the iPhone 5 here on this site. But, you have asked this question in a Microsoft focused site and forum, so naturally we are going to try persuading you from NOT buying an iFruit device.

ahhk22

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, appreciate the feedback all the same. I do really prefer WP over iOS in most respects, but the immediate availability is proving very difficult to resist when there are so many question marks on the other side. I actually have a first child due in a couple months' time and need to be reading parenting books instead of smartphone specs, so buying something quick would put an end to the distraction!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, iOS 6 isn't exactly working out for those early adapters now no? The Maps fiasco, no Youtube app yet and some other complaints from the upgraders.

I do believe the iPhone 5 is an appealing device, and it may suit your needs to a bigger extent being a Mac user. However, I will really ask you to hold your horses. Wait till all features have been announced and properly evaluate the 3 ecosystems for all the new features. After all, WP8 still have 'a few surprises' up its sleeves, and how integrated can WP8 be to Macs should be your deciding factor.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My wife and daughter are both iPhone users, but neither are interested in getting the new one on launch day. If you wait a couple of weeks you can get exactly what you want instead of whatever's available, you can go play with one at a store, and you can get better prices on accessories if you give yourself time to shop around.

Now, if you're considering a different device altogether that will be launching in a month or so, it's a no-brainer. You should definitely wait.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree with everything you say, but the option of having a new phone TOMORROW is immensely appealing.

Unless you preorded one, you might be disappointed if you try to walk into a store and try to get one tomorrow. If you order one today from Verizon they are tell you not to expect it to ship until 10/19.

I'd wait either way. :)

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go out on the limb and brake from the group. I say get the iphone if you can (I actually doubt that you will be able to pick one up with all the lines and the sold out preorders).

My reason is simple. You can sell the iphone at a premium when the WP8 devices come out in a month or so, they will still be in short supply. The newness of the iphone will be out of your system by then and you will know exactly what WP8 will have to offer. The price you can get for a slightly used ip5 should just about pay for a new WP8 device.

Also congrats on your coming new addition to your family.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While I understand that the idea of instant gratification is definitely tempting, showing a little restraint to get what you really want will pay off more in the end. I didn't feel like I could wait for a WP8 device and picked up a Motorola Droid RAZR M and while the phone definitely has snappy performance, I've really grown tired of Android (and iOS as well). In the end, I returned it after a week of use and will wait until the WP8 devices come to Verizon. I'm almost positive I will be much happier having done so.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Old_Cus is right. If you have to have a phone tomorrow, get an iphone. Then you will know what you like or don't like about it by the time nokia releases anything. As he said, a month from now the iphone will still be in short supply and a pretty easy sell.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You can wait 6 weeks and try both out for yourself or buy now and have it for 2 years (assuming your a contract person). I'm usually super impulsive with tech so I know waiting 6 weeks feels like a lifetime, but you'll at least have an opportunity to make a truly informed decision based on your needs/thoughts.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You are not stuck with anything if you buy an iphone. Seriously, a 2 month old iphone will be worth practically the same as a brand new one from apple without contract.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to go out on the limb and brake from the group. I say get the iphone if you can (I actually doubt that you will be able to pick one up with all the lines and the sold out preorders).

My reason is simple. You can sell the iphone at a premium when the WP8 devices come out in a month or so, they will still be in short supply. The newness of the iphone will be out of your system by then and you will know exactly what WP8 will have to offer. The price you can get for a slightly used ip5 should just about pay for a new WP8 device.

Having a hard time arguing with that. Old_Cus is right. We are biased, but there is no harm in resale value, so long as the hassle in 3-4 months time is worth it. I waited for almost 4 months with a dying, freezing Palm Pre + and my wife had a BlackBerry Curve in even worse shape. But I wanted to see the Mango driven devices. To me, it was worth the wait.

Congrats on the child!!! Hope regardless of what you decide, you check back with us and let us know how your baby and you are doing in the "off topic" sub-forum!!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

exactly what I was thinking

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb