Which of the 3 heroes has more bazel?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So I see many people complaining about the Lumia 920 big bazel and as I have a lot of free time I decided to see which phone has more bazel (Lumia 920, HTC 8X and ATIV S).

So here are my results:

Lumia 920:
- Total front side area: 92.3cm
- Total screen area: 52.4cm
- Percentage of the front side not covered by screen: 43%

HTC 8X:
- Total front side area: 87.1cm
- Total screen area: 46cm
- Percentage of the front side not covered by screen: 47%

ATIV S:
- Total front side area: 97.3cm
- Total screen area: 67cm
- Percentage of the front side not covered by screen: 31%

Conclusions:
- Easy win for ATIV S here, as expected.
- If you are going to complaine about Lumia 920 size compared with its screen, you also have to complain about the HTC 8X.

(Approximate values were used)

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
While the Ativ has the lowest percentage of area not covered by the screen, I feel it will likely be the least ergonomic of the 3 devices. I had the Galaxy S III on Verizon for a little while and found that I did not like the fact that the capacitive buttons were pushed so close to the bottom and sides of the phone. It made it much more difficult to use the GSIII with one hand (at least in my experience) and is one of the reasons why I will not be buying the Ativ.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem is the baffling decision of leaving all the chin bellow.

htc8x31.jpg
lumia920640x523.jpg

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a question.

I have been looking at the keyboard. It is quite tall. So .... Fairly large bezel at the bottom of the phones, then I see there is a menu bar below the keyboard. Not having used a windows phone before, what is it like for one handed typing?

Seems my thumb has quite a way to travel to reach Q for example . Is the keyboard height adjustable?

I use a great keyboard on my One X, Swifkey 3, and it is very adjustable. I have it set so that its not so high up the screen.

Perhaps it is just a matter of adjusting to something different. I do note that a lot of windows users are happy with the keyboard which reassures me.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
HTC capacitive buttons are too close to the bottom. I like the 920 option better. I hit Bing search many times when using my TITAN 1 handed.

I am not overly fond of the WP Keyboard. It seems to make lots of letter mistakes for me. "are" is almost 75% of the time written as "ate" Few others I get very often as well but that is the biggest one that sticks out in my mind.

WP keyboard has been a single version only so far. I doubt they will open up the marketplace to custom keyboards but its possible. Hey, we could probably get a good 50,000+ app boost just from custom keyboard apps.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I curse the WP7 keyboard everyday. It's a nightmare for Spanglish speakers like me, the toggle button is next to the period so you hit it by mistake a lot.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Would bezel in of itself keep anyone from buying one? Of all the things I love about my Focus S, the body, shape and weight are either something you get used to or is something that kept you away. One of the first things I did was get a case, and I had instant bezel.

I do appreciate the fact that someone cared enough to do this. All the info we can get I am eating up, and will continue to for the 6-8 weeks as we wait on the release.

But until then, I am fine with Winterfang poking fun at some of these. Why not? Until they are in our hands, we will not know for sure....

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
HTC capacitive buttons are too close to the bottom. I like the 920 option better. I hit Bing search many times when using my TITAN 1 handed.

I am not overly fond of the WP Keyboard. It seems to make lots of letter mistakes for me. "are" is almost 75% of the time written as "ate" Few others I get very often as well but that is the biggest one that sticks out in my mind.

WP keyboard has been a single version only so far. I doubt they will open up the marketplace to custom keyboards but its possible. Hey, we could probably get a good 50,000+ app boost just from custom keyboard apps.
Amen. Would LOVE some keyboard alternatives. I am okay with ours, but I am sure I could find one better if MS would open it up.

Not going to stop me from buying a WP, but dang it I just feel kinda cheated.....

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
The bezel doesn't put me off but I think I'd rather there wasn't a menu button under the keyboard if there aren't going to be 3rd party ones available.

My Blackberry 9900 ( yes, I have two phones!) is of course a breeze to type on but the screen is too small. I want to move to touch screen, I do like my One X but I haven't yet managed to move fully to touch devices which is what I want to do. finding a keyboard I can type well on has made a big difference.

I wasn't really planning to get another phone but then I saw wp8 and I just have to try it out :D Ideally I want to have just the one phone.Wp8 might just be it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss