The camera of the Nokia Lumia 920 is the reason behind its "thickness"

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge! Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit.... and NFC is in most phones... Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
not necessarily smaller, but change it's shape... make it fit in, so that it don't had so much thickness.

Thinking it's about the lens construction and the OIS, i doubt you can change the shape.

Anyways i can't believe we are even talking about this. Lumia 920 is 10.7mm at it thickest part in the middle where the 2.5D glass and the curved back are at it's thickest.
Always loved how the Lumia 800 curved glass and back felt on your hand and that phone was 2mm thicker than Lumia 920.

I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge! Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit.... and NFC is in most phones... Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...

Well don't get Lumia 920. Can't get much more simple.
We all appreciate different things, why we all are not carrying the same phones.

I will be using all of the features mentioned above and to me the biggest shortfall of any camera phone is the images get grainy when you just take a pic in shadow or poorly lit room. Idea isn't that Lumia 920 shines (pun not intended) in dark, Nokia is just of course demonstrating it in the most extreme way.

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Just like to point out, still respect your personal opinion.

I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge!

Wireless charging is for the scenario where you don't have to constantly plug and unplug your charging cables from your phone. Plug the cable once into the dock and worry no more. Yeah you can't move it, but it's for scenarios where you'd be strictly topping off your phone.

Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit....

Don't forget it'll be good for taking pics during the day too; promising no fumbled shots and clarity. Plus sacrifices have to made somewhere not just in device height, but time to production.

The real focus should be on the fact that Nokia even put thought into making a floating lens. How long have we had smartphones and no one until now thought to try to solve that problem outside of software, but with, most likely, a combination of both?

Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...

That's cool, some people got smaller fingers and like to keep them warm.

In general, I suggest once the 920's released to sign up for the Nokia Trial program where they let you try a device for two weeks. Though I think selection helps if you're gonna review the phone and put out lots of word of mouth.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Just like to point out, still respect your personal opinion.

Wireless charging is for the scenario where you don't have to constantly plug and unplug your charging cables from your phone. Plug the cable once into the dock and worry no more. Yeah you can't move it, but it's for scenarios where you'd be strictly topping off your phone.

Don't forget it'll be good for taking pics during the day too; promising no fumbled shots and clarity. Plus sacrifices have to made somewhere not just in device height, but time to production.

The real focus should be on the fact that Nokia even put thought into making a floating lens. How long have we had smartphones and no one until now thought to try to solve that problem outside of software, but with, most likely, a combination of both?

That's cool, some people got smaller fingers and like to keep them warm.

In general, I suggest once the 920's released to sign up for the Nokia Trial program where they let you try a device for two weeks. Though I think selection helps if you're gonna review the phone and put out lots of word of mouth.
anyway here in Canada, Bell and Telus (two major carriers) won't get the Lumia 920, and are more likely to get Samsung since it sells good, but Rogers (another big carrier) could get it. HTC have a bad reputation except for the One X, I spoke with a lot with sale men and they are all sold to Sammy and iPhone, HTC is often said t make cheap quality phones and I can tell that my Titan II is not as good as I thought... laggy as **** and the problem is the hardware...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

Where can you sign up for this trial program?

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I think 4" - 4.3" is the screen size that the mainstream consumer finds desirable today. It's a real shame that most flagship phones from every manufacturer (except apple) are jumbo-sized. I would never ordinarily consider HTC, but I want a windows phone and the 920 is a little big for my taste, so I might end up with the 8X. I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.

Your opinion is what it is but its not what most oems think the optimum size is right now because most devices are 4.3 and above and given that the mfgers are gauging and planning devices on what they see the majority of people want that's what they believe will sell the most and thats where they put their money.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Thanks for your opinions. Other have theirs as well and if you dont like it thats cool others do including me but I'm still open to other oems as well for now.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
We get it. Buy another phone and quit ruining the buzz for those that do like it. Go homer up the samsung forum. Thanks.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
As has been said already... The 920 is thinner than the 900! There haven't been that many complaints about the 900 so I doubt it will be an issue. Weight is another issue and we will see how it feels in the hand.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
As has been said already... The 920 is thinner than the 900! There haven't been that many complaints about the 900 so I doubt it will be an issue. Weight is another issue and we will see how it feels in the hand.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

You sure about that?
dsc04431-12.23.01-pm-1346863714.jpg

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Have fun with your Samsung. We all understand you care about thinness and nothing else.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
My Quantum is 175.8g. My preteen daughter's Pantech Swift is 177.5g. The Lumia 920 is 185g. Never once did I think my Quantum was too heavy, nor my daughter hers. It's hard to imagine the weight of the Lumia 920 making a big difference to anyone except whiners.

kregstrong

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a little too thick and heavy but if Verizon gets it in early November when the 8x comes out, I will have a 920 no doubt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
The 920 feels like the second coming of the N95; a device that's heftier than it's peers because it's packed with tech. I have a feeling that it's successor will be more svelte given the feedback (read: complaints) it gets. Personally, I'm not happy with the idea of carrying a device that's bigger and heavier than the Galaxy Nexus that I already use. My hope is that we see more high-end features move to phones with smaller screens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea