Why cant Samsung just do this...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I heard that Nokia could introduce a slider as a 2nd gen, but my sources are not so reliable so base your hopes on what I just said hahaha, but Nokia is probably the only one who would make it so... maybe!

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Wp8 is an unknown quantity at the moment, the OEMs can't build every possible phone at first, it would be a waste.

Being the so few sliders are produced, shows its that popular.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Sliders are unpopular
Windows Phone is unpopular
It's just a bad decision to take sadly. If anything we might see that form factor in some low end devices.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If there's a market for it, Samsung will do it.

So far, their strategy has been minimal risk, maximum return. Considering that their Galaxy S III is by far the best selling device out there right now, it makes sense to invest in what's working for them so far. And they're driving pricing down FAST on the S III, which could translate into lower ATIV S prices as well. The success of Samsung Android chassis could mean cheaper Windows Phones as well.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but nobody is trying to buy a slider. When I say nobody, I'm referring to the majority of the buyers

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't think sliders are very popular. Too bulky and prone to breakage.

I remember reviewers snapping the Palm Pre in two just during the brief time they had the device for review.

HerronScott

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Man, I can tell that those of us that prefer physical keyboards are not feeling any love here. :)

My LG Quantum (and Pantech Windows Mobile before that) have been very reliable without any issues.

Scott

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Lumia%20920s.jpg

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Man, I can tell that those of us that prefer physical keyboards are not feeling any love here. :)

My LG Quantum (and Pantech Windows Mobile before that) have been very reliable without any issues.

Scott

I never thought I'd adjust to a touch screen either, after using old Nokias and BlackBerrys for 5+ years. However, it only took me a week to like a touch screen better.

I dug out an old BlackBerry about a month ago to help someone with a BlackBerry problem, and I couldn't believe how slow I typed and how hard it was to type on that thing.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I remember reviewers snapping the Palm Pre in two just during the brief time they had the device for review.

To be fair, that was typically done maliciously.

A small number of Pres had slider issues... the vast majority were just fine. Reviewers using it to "cut cheese" and working hard to break them were essentially punishing Palm for daring to try and compete with Apple.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, that was typically done maliciously.

A small number of Pres had slider issues... the vast majority were just fine. Reviewers using it to "cut cheese" and working hard to break them were essentially punishing Palm for daring to try and compete with Apple.

I don't think it was a conspiracy to beat up on Palm. I don't recall any reviewers breaking the BlackBerry Torch, which also was a portrait slider.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
BlackBerry Torch wasn't being hailed as a direct threat to the iPhone.

Palm Pre was.

I worked closely with Palm at the time, and the Pre had visitors from Apple blanching when they visited the Palm pavilion at CES 2009. I watched several of their people look very worried during the demos.

After the demos, the tech press declared that webOS made iOS feel "old and dated."

AppleWorld went on attack almost immediately. Apple threatened to sue Palm (and Palm issued a release saying "bring it on, we have more patents than you do.") Then the Apple-friendly press corps started bashing on the device almost immediately, mocking features like multitasking and Exchange integration as "features that users don't care about." One of the big tech blogs spent more time trying to cut blocks of cheese with the edge of the keyboard than reviewing the phone (and actually claimed it was sharp enough to cut one's hand, a laughable falsehood).

Ironically, had Palm been ready to ship in January, they very well could have dethroned Apple. Instead, they waited several months before announcing pricing and availability (sound familiar? *coughNokiacough*) and the rest is history.

There's no reason to believe WP will receive a different reception if it proves to be threatening to the current incumbents the way the Pre was in 2009.

TheHeroFromDOOM

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you heard about those blutooth keyboard case's for the iphone?? Do any you you know if they are making one for W8Ps?? That would be cool, you could make your own slider out of any phone, anything on that front? Thx you.

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
That phone looks awsome, but dident they cancel it? coleharris?

Yeah thats actually a successor to the N9 that was supposedly cancelled, I just edited in the Windows Phone homescreen instead. Sadly I doubt will ever see such a phone which is a shame as I've always been a fan of slider keyboards, one of the few things I miss about my OG Droid...

austrianball#IM

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
If I could get the the BB Bold keyboard on a windows phone I would be in heaven. I prefer that keyboard to the buggy, clumsy, skittish touch keyboards, and I am talking all mobile OS's here.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos