Rumor: Nokia planning to sue to stop release of HTC devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ustudio

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
well me I brought and am gonna buy a nokia because it is unique do your really want every windows phone to look like a nokia, if it went to court it would only take an hour to reach a decision, look at all past htc devices and then take htc's own confession, that windows phone is bright and full of colors, windows phone absolutely sucked before nokia brought there designs, so windows phones aint full of color, nokia windows phones are full of color. I do think that and hope that htc and nokia will come to an agreement with a don't do that sh-t again clause

IceDree

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
if this is true, maybe... just maybe Nokia should take a look at the HTC HD7 Before they do anything reckless!

Put an HD7 Next to the Lumia 820 & take a good look at both, then flip em over & check the camera area on both .

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Okay so just stop Its only a rumor there's no confirmation. Theres no story just hush lets all move on to xomething more ...er constructive until something is heard confirming the story its just a rumor maybe somebody wants to stir the pot. Just move on please!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I should make a computer case, and sue all the other computer case companies.

I should also make a TV, 'cause even those look pretty much the same as-of-late. Oh, and can't forget about speakers. Hmm, cups too! 'Cause everyone always holds their liquid in a cup that has the same shape as the next one and I want people buying only my cups!!!... seriously, what else could we sue over?

Sure, I agree that the two look remarkably alike, but so does a lot of other aspects of our every day lives, my wallet is another one that popped into my mind. We could potentialy make a new thread that mentions everything that looks simular to something else, and I would bet it would get 100+ pages of replies (without a doubt, some reposts), in a matter of days.

I think I veered off topic though, so I'm going to end my post now heh.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I don't see much of a case for Nokia and certainly won't earn them any goodwill from MS who is busy heavily supporting both companies at the moment. In addition the 8X is clearly borrowing design cues from its One X series which didn't look anything like the Lumia phone IMO.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
note the date.july 2011.these phones were in developement months before that.possibly late 2010. when was the 800 released

Nokia Lumia 800 release date, pricing and specs | T3
end of oct 2011

who copied who for coloured windows phones

Since the Lumia 800's hardware is pretty much a direct port of the Nokia N9 with a new operating system, I think it's safe to say that Nokia did not base the Lumia 800's design off a Fujitsu-Toshiba design.

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
While the lawsuit won't be popular, IMO...

Slate devices started from Palm (maybe even older), but iPhone is the really popular one. Then it goes to slate touch screen phone == iPhone/Android
For Android, maybe added with the word "Droid" and that green robot for advertising material, but don't see much identity for devices in the wild.

Nokia, while still using the slate form, added bright colour. Simple and broad concept that put it in strong contrast against the sea of popular Android devices from Samsung and HTC. Yes, it's a really broad concept like used by patent trolls, but for a brand image, you can't be too detailed, it has to be easily recognized.

So if HTC is using those bright colours for their lineup because it's easily associated by consumers as a "Windows Phone", then copying or not, HTC is waving away any effort from their side to make their own branding (fighting against Nokia's already successful Lumia image) and ride on Nokia's coat tail.

Back to that again, if HTC, and the next brands, use the same bright colour for Windows Phone, then the Lumia brand Nokia has been building will be reduced into bright colour == Windows Phone. Well, if that's what happen, probably Microsoft will be as happy behind, after all they finally get someone to make strong brand image for Windows Phone that can be used by all manufacturers (something that's supposed to be Microsoft's duty).

As for the Fujitsu argument... the Japanese's local phone are behind the bamboo curtain cut off from the rest of the world. International tech news is usually focused to what happened in America (or will be affecting the consumer market in America) so those local phones won't be very interesting.
They also have many colourful phone every season in Japan, so that's not something that stands out among the market competition isn't it ?

Last edited:

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
really, so all of you people support IP theft? Then PLEASE go to Android where you will be welcomed with open arms by thieves.

HTC aped Nokia's designs and they know it. The fact that Microsoft aided in this is a slap to the face of Nokia and their partnership. Nokia got married to MS and the OS and then MS turned around and got a whore to dress up as Nokia....plain and simple.
Really? are you really Shure that Nokia was the first to use one slab of polycarbonate?

rluka

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Still on Earth, but how often do you see articles about the Japanese' local market model got discussed in English speaking authoritative news and review websites ? Even the sites that still often discuss about non-smartphone devices.
They don't contribute much to the consumer opinion outside their country.

Narr

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
It's not been reported anywhere else (mainstream), no word from Nokia, HTC or Microsoft so I don't believe this will ever happen.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
this is all bogus BUT 2 points no one noticed about the colors.... they are the new microsoft branding colors (check out outlook.com). MS is/has been pushing these colors have been using the in all forms of marketing products.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I think if this lawsuit were to happen it would cause serious harm to the WP ecosytem as it is already in a fragile state. WP needs all the OEMs and thier designs to be successful. IMO MS has enough control/power/clout to not allow a lawsuit like this to go forward. Nothing good can come out of this.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
"[The news is based on the telephonic conversation we had with someone who works with a legal consultation and advisory firm.]"

Enough said.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Awesome, from pc-tablet.com (incredibly well-known and highly regarded tech site) and shared by brmiller1976 (reputable member of WPCentral).

Just kidding, what a load of nonsense.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

As others have said, this is just a BS rumor. I could also write an article saying I spoke to an unspecified person from a law firm and claim that Google and Apple have settled all of their differences and that they will have a press conference after they can find the medium who can patch in Steve Jobs. That would be based on just as much factual information. As has been pointed out, Microsoft's partners do not sue each other. Their agreements for licensing the OS provide licensees with the protection of Microsoft's legal department. In reality about the only thing they really have in common anyway is that they are colorful and use the same OS. It also doesn't take much research to confirm Microsoft has been actively pushing the colorful devices, or do people think Nokia is also going to sue Microsoft over the Surface tablets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon